• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need magnification advise

du_grizz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2011
I am debating between two identical scopes for my SPR style build. One is a 2.5-10 and the other 4-16. I will be using it mainly for shooting steel and some hunting. Max range will be 500 to 600 yards. I am leaning toward the 2.5 because it will be lighter but hate to give up the parallax adjustment when shooting at max range. Need some advice coming from experience.

compare the eye relief and exit pupil of the two scopes first. if there's a big difference, go with the more generous eye relief and exit pupil on an SPR. If they're pretty similar, I'd look at weight and then parallax and then magnification. Assumption is you'll be shooting at relatively large targets (say at least 2MOA) with an SPR.

2.5-10

Parallax error will be minimal, especially if the objective is 32mm. Maximum error at 600 yards, assuming parallax is fixed at 100 yards, would be approximately 80mm or 3.1". That's if your eye is off center to the edge. In reality, your error is likely to be within an inch. With a 24mm objective, max error is less.

You can minimize parallax at distance by backing away slightly from the scope to get a very small shadow ring, then keep the shadow ring concentric to the ocular housing, and you keep your eye centered in the scope.

Got a Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 on mine and it's a great scope for that rifle. Good power range.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to pick up a Viper PST 2.5-10x44 this weekend.

Ok I picked up the scope but now cannot find a mount. I had planned on the Vortex 2" non QD mount but it is on back order every where I have checked. Any recommendations on a good mount for $150 or less? I have looked at the GG&G FLT, Warne Skel, and American Defense Scout.