• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need new Barrel for AR Target

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Im looking to buy a new AR-15/.223 Barrel for Target shooting only. I mainly shoot from 50yrds - 600yrds from a Bench or Prone. There are so many to shoose from: Krieger,Broughton,Lothar Walther, White Oak,Noveske,Rock Creek etc, etc.
I cannot decide on which one to get but im sure any one of these would do me right. Specs would be;
1-7" Twist
20" Length
M4 Ramps
Rifle Length Gas System
Crown Muzzle
Stainless Steel or Ion Boned in black
Fluted
Ready for Drop in

<span style="font-weight: bold">Give me your choice if you had choose one of these barrels or any other one you can think of.</span>

Re: Need new Barrel for AR Target

Kreiger or Noveske. YOu alaso might check with Tom at 762SASS. He might have the 20" Armalite stainless match barrel available. You'd have to have it coated.

White Oak Precision makes some good shooting barrels.

A deciding factor may be what chamberings and twists are offered compared to your specs.

Noveske does not offer rifle-length gas systems. The 18" SPR is mid-length.

223 or 5.56?

What bullet weight are you shooting? Depending, you may be better off with 1:7.7 or 1:8.

Do you want polygonal rifling, cut, or button?

How long are you allowing for your build to take? Do you need it next week or a few months?

White Oak if you are looking to cut cost but not quality.

Just some things to help you narrow your options.

FYI:
Krieger if you want the best, but I ordered my last one a month ago and was quoted delivery of 1/10/10 on my invoice.

Noveskes are in stock now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">krieger </div></div>

Skeet,

Did you know White Oak is out of Carlock? Just found that out just after I did my last build. Wish I would have known

I REALLY like my compass lake engineering barrel. I think they'd do a better job using a krieger blank than krieger does.

A buddy of mine has a krieger and it had multiple "issues". Shoots really accurate, but doesn't function right. The shoulder for the gasblock isn't in the right spot. The index pin was mushroomed and the gas port isn't inline with the index pin. (Off by a couple of degrees.)

They just sent me a Kreiger service rifle barrel in 1-7.0 twist They do a lot of high-end barrels and are good at it.
I think the kreiger was about $430.
They'll use almost any blank you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I REALLY like my compass lake engineering barrel. I think they'd do a better job using a krieger blank than krieger does.
</div></div>

+1 frank white does a great job and is incredibly helpful