• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need NFA Trust advice

Mendocino

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2008
Colorado
I am interested in setting up and NFA trust (Colorado) and would like to understand 1) if I can do this myself; 2) if I need an attorney what it should cost. I searched SH and have found some threads but not really what I was looking for. I have emailed a couple of NFA Trust attorneys and talked to one today that told me it would be $750 to set it up. This seemed excessive. It would be nice if one of you fellas with lots of experience in NFA trusts could post an FAQ in this part of the forum. Comments on #1 and #2 would be appreciated.

Re: Need NFA Trust advice

I know several people that have done it $200.00 to $450.00 for the attorneys fee. In some states you can use Willmaker or one of the on line legal services free to $70.00 or so. You can search one of the silencer forums and find plenty of disagreement on this subject.

I found a RLT online and just suited it to my state. You might consider doing that, and then having an attorney review it. That might cut down on costs. I didn't have an attorney review mine, but it passed and it did for a few of my buddies. One of them did eventually have an attorney review and it was good to go. YMMV

Graham's rule #1: Don't seek legal advice from laypeople.

That said, many people don't negotiate prices with attorneys. There's no reason you can't try.

Also, many people fail to interview the attorney about her knowledge specific to NFA trusts. Make sure to do that. Go with questions. Get the questions answered to your satisfaction during a free consultation.

Then tell her that this looks to you like a simple matter and you think you shouldn't have to pay more than about $400. Ask if she will do it for that. If she says no, then you've got your answer.

In my opinion this is not something to mess around with. If you use quicken and get it wrong you are looking at prison time for illegal possesion of restricted firearms. Now you can submit a trust that is intially accepted as binding and proper by the ATF and a few months down the road they might find a problem with it and change it to no longer accepted. At which time your now breaking the law. There is a lawyer who is local here I'm jacksonville who happens to be one of the nations leading authorities on the gun trusts, here is one of his websites: http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/ now you can call his law firm give him your information and credit card number and he can email you a prepared gun trust for you to work properly in your state. His trust are copy righted so you won't get trust as good as his elsewhere. I think he charges 600 dollars for out of state trusts. Which is a good price, most trust start at 1000+
Sorry if I seem to be pushing this guy hard, just I know how well prepared his trust are and how well priced they are.

Rule #1--Roger that. I am aware of the risks of not having it reviewed by counsel. However, the $750 seemed pretty steep. My wife and I had a revocable trust done by an attorney for all our non-NFA assets and it was about $1k. This was pretty complicated. Your comment on negotiation was a good suggestion.

I emailed the guntrustlawyer.com yesterday but have not heard back from them.

I agree with the others about using Quicken Willmaker. I used it to create a revocable living trust for my SBR build. The BATFE examined my NFA Trust and they did not have any issues. They approved it and I received my stamp. If I ever have any issues, I can show the rifle is approved by the BATFE and they are the experts.

This is the link I used... Buying NFA weapons

You can't go wrong with using an NFA lawyer but honestly if you pay attention to detail and follow instructions you don't really need one. Of course, this is my opinion and not intended as a guarantee of any kind.

I'm going to law school next fall. I figured it'd help me with drafting my own trust.
smile.gif
Maybe you should?

Best be really careful with it; for compliance. Hiring an attorney will not keep you out of jail nor compensate you for going to jail and his errors and omissions policy will have a limit far below what you would need to work this out legally and prevail.. not likely ..
on the other hand, when I want a heart surgery I intend to go where there are hundreds done a year, not 20 or less...
just my opinion ...
and the less you pay the attorney the less he is likely to spend on it in time for the funds.. it is the dollar per hour for most of the attorneys , and unfortunately in many other helping professions too...
dk

Bottom line for me is...check your state regulations and if you are allowed to have an NFA weapon...follow the instructions, submit to BATFE and get approval...the only way you can screw it up is to not follow the regulations. They are pretty cut and dry. BATFE approved it. Don't stray from your original description on the form. Notify them if you are going to cross state lines. Don't ever let the weapon out of your control. Keep a copy of your stamped paperwork with the weapon at all times and enjoy it. It is really not rocket science. Here is the link to AR-15.com's General Class 3 Forum ...very helpful.

Good luck. My opinion...NFA lawyers are for folks who like to give their money away.

Graham nailed it in his post above. I have several friends who are attorneys, but they don't do Trust Law, I spoke to to the guys at guntrust, but was not impressed. I then decided to talk with my local Class III dealer, who I know is quite knowledgable, and he informed me to stay away from the gun trust folks, as he had seen many form 4's denied with their trusts. What he did do, was introduce me to a customer of his who was a Trust attorney, we worked out a barter. Ammunition for a Trust. He didn't reload, and I do. Total cost of parts for me was $75.00 plus my time.