• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need North Carolina resident advice

myronman3

deez nuts
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2017
Ft. Benning School for Wayward Boys
my son is buying a car in state from a private party. and with each state having their own ways of doing things, i have a question regarding titles. the guy i was talking with said that the bank hands the titles....which i dont comprehend because if there is no lien on it, and my son is paying cash, why the fuck is the bank involved in the title? is something fucky, or is that how they do it there?

appreciate any input.

my son is buying a car in state from a private party. and with each state having their own ways of doing things, i have a question regarding titles. the guy i was talking with said that the bank hands the titles....which i dont comprehend because if there is no lien on it, and my son is paying cash, why the fuck is the bank involved in the title? is something fucky, or is that how they do it there?

appreciate any input.
When I paid off all 3 of my cars, my bank sent me the NC titles. If he doesn’t have the title, he either needs to produce it or walk away.

Is the seller saying they don't physically have a title, or that they want to transfer a title at the bank?

Does not pass the smell test. If there is no lien on the vehicle the bank has no involvement.

It's possible the seller wants the bank to run the cash through their machines as counterfeit protection, but I have never heard of a clean title needing to go through a bank

Is the seller saying they don't physically have a title, or that they want to transfer a title at the bank?
my comprehension of it is, he would like to transfer the title at the bank. here in wisconsin, if there is no lien, the bank isnt involved. i talked to the guy at length, and he seems legit. and if i was going to be there, no problem. but i aint. and the guy may be 100% legit, and they may do it a bit different down there. i’ve been out of N.C. for 28 years; and when i was there, my car was registered and titled in wisconsin- so i never had to deal with the way they do it down there.

my comprehension of it is, he would like to transfer the title at the bank. here in wisconsin, if there is no lien, the bank isnt involved. i talked to the guy at length, and he seems legit. and if i was going to be there, no problem. but i aint. and the guy may be 100% legit, and they may do it a bit different down there. i’ve been out of N.C. for 28 years; and when i was there, my car was registered and titled in wisconsin- so i never had to deal with the way they do it down there.

Ah okay. On NC titles it requires a notary be present for signatures to be valid for transfer. I've sold cars at the bank because of two things, it let's the person withdraw a cashier check in front of me so I know it's legit, they offer free notary service when both parties sign the title.

Ah okay. On NC titles it requires a notary be present for signatures to be valid for transfer. I've sold cars at the bank because of two things, it let's the person withdraw a cashier check in front of me so I know it's legit, they offer free notary service when both parties sign the title.
he was mentioning a notary, and i wasnt understanding why. that fits into what he was saying and fills in the blanks for me.

thanks all! once again, the hide comes through.

Reactions: oneshot86 and KZP
I know a guy who has bought and sold vehicles in NC by 1- going to the bank for notorizing titles, 2- going to the license plate agency for notorizing and 3 - the seller signing the title and letting the buyer find a notary after the fact (neither ideal, nor legal).

This^
No title = no cash.
AND this^

Needs to present a clear title at the bank before transaction. If any questions, ask the bank people, I'm sure they know.