• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Oakley XLJ's

MtGoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
Middleton, Idaho
Where can I find the best deal on a pair of black Oakley Halfjackets with the VR28 Black Iridium Polarized XLJ lenses?

Pat

Re: Need Oakley XLJ's

If you're government, check out usstandardissue.com
great discount, doesn't take long to get signed up.

I like the ESS eyewear for my shooting and non shooting needs. if you need a code drop me a line I can help save you 40%

I would go to Oakley themselves, and if you go to Oakley Vault, you can find clearance stuff for good prices

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm intersted in what you all wear for eye-protection as well.

For years, I've worn cheap Igogs that scratch and I can't use them anymore or they break. I went back and figured out I haven't saved any money over the last two years. I've spent about $300 in the last three years. I thought if I got one good pair then I might not spend so much over time.

So what does everybody swear by Oakleys so much for? Other than the fact they are a bad-ass operator status symbol. The real reason.

How about Wileys?

How about Peltor Law enforcement series?

Any other brands out there people flock to for better than average performance?

I love my Oakelys because they are super comfortable on my face. I have never had them fog. but mostly just because they look badass. I had one pair of Wileys a few years back and they fogged ever 5 seconds with heavy breathing. and they just fell cheap. I wouldnt ever want to take a hit to the face with something but if it had to happen I sure has hell would be wearing my Oakelys and not wileys X crap. O and with the XLJ lens you get pretty much full eye coverage. Or at least more than most glasses.

U need to look at Rudy Project!! I have 2 sets, along with Oakleys, Maui Jims!! lol

For shooting the Rudy's rock.

I have an unfeasably large nose... Half jackets don't fit. I wear Oakley square wire for shooting.

Lee.

ESS Crossbow 3LS

http://www.esseyepro.com/Crossbow_detail.html#_overview

I was really tempted to go with Oakley because they are everywhere but I'm pleased to say I'm happy with my ESS selection. The quality of the lenses for shooting are fantastic and not heavy considering the quality of the protection. I was a bit sceptical at first about the one frame fits all approach but for me it works well. The nose bridge is super and it doesn't matter how much you sweat they don't slip. Probably not as cool looking as Oakleys but these are what I want on when something goes wrong or when I need great visibility. 3LS package gives you clear, grey and hi-def yellow. Never used the strap that comes with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what does everybody swear by Oakleys so much for? Other than the fact they are a bad-ass operator status symbol. The real reason.</div></div>

Fit.

The head shape that Oakley uses to design their glasses works for me.

The ESS Crossbows I have are designed on a larger skull shape.

My Oakley Canteens fit snugly to the side of my head. This combined with the rubber they use on their temples has prevented me from ever loosing them in a foot pursuit or a ground fight. Of course I have never been hit in the face while wearing them. They may not sit tight through that.

My ESS Crossbows fit me, but differently. They hold at the nose and at the ends of the ear pieces. They are just not as secure as the Canteens and I hate wearing any type of retention device.

This is a non-issue when I am geared up to go through a door. My ear-pro and helmet suspension hold the Crossbows well. The extra coverage of the Crossbow is reassuring.

I have run Oakleys for a long time. But I am always looking for better options. My eyes are my life.

I am looking forward to trying some of the other models in the ESS lineup. I am very interested in their fan-equipped goggles. I have yet to find a pair that doesn't fog in Southern Indiana summer nights.

The glasses aren't for me. Usstandardissue has been back ordered on the glasses (or apparently the lenses) he wants for awhile. I am working e-Bay as well as he lost his last set and has had several run-over and or trashed.

Pat

The oakleys have good UV protection as well as ballistic protection. They are relatively tough, comfortable and I have less problems with fogging then with the Wiley X's. I have worn Wiley X's and ESS. The ESS glass's just seem like a cheap copy of the Oakley's to me (my personal opinion).
I like the in rank order, 5.0 (I believe that is what they were), half jackets and then the M frames.
For around town I wear the square wire 2.0.

As a side not Oakley and ESS are owned by the same people. They just offer different lines!

I have use to wear oakley for many years and since the switch to ESS i havent wore anything but ESS.

ESS offers more in the tactical line with goggles and everything else. Either way you cant go wrong find what fits your face and gives you the protection you need.

You will get the same customer service and warrenty. But as i said if anyone decides to go ESS i can help save you some money drop me a line!!

Nomad is correct.

The ESS Crossbows are actually the first collaborative design between Oakley and ESS.

It will be interesting to see the direction of the company. I would bet you will see fewer "tactical" designs from Oakley and more racey, flowing designs in ESS.

When you think about it, the "Ballistic M-Frame" are about the only glasses that Oakley has that started life as a tactical design. The rest of the USSI line are just subdued versions of the civilian models. Even the original M-Frame were sport glasses first.

BTW, what ever happened to Gargoyle. When I was in high school those were the bomb. Now I never see them anymore. I see they still make glasses, but I don't see many in the wild.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nomad is correct.

The ESS Crossbows are actually the first collaborative design between Oakley and ESS.

It will be interesting to see the direction of the company. I would bet you will see fewer "tactical" designs from Oakley and more racey, flowing designs in ESS.

When you think about it, the "Ballistic M-Frame" are about the only glasses that Oakley has that started life as a tactical design. The rest of the USSI line are just subdued versions of the civilian models. Even the original M-Frame were sport glasses first.

BTW, what ever happened to Gargoyle. When I was in high school those were the bomb. Now I never see them anymore. I see they still make glasses, but I don't see many in the wild.</div></div>

Lonewolf,

Thanks for your posts! I've himmed and hawed on this for a while. Today I pulled the trigger on my first "expensive" set of glasses in 20 years. {special thanks to Nomad}

I used to hear of Gargoyle too. They never hit up in Montana when I lived there and like you said, I haven't seen them in many, many years.

They all suck! All Shield type eye pro sucks! The Rx inserts make them suck because yo uhave two different lenses that dust gets on to afu your vision. I love my REvision Hellflys RX they kick ass, but need something for wind if you are in a turret

Which that fix would be ESS goggles with the fan to keep you face cool
smile.gif

Plus you could just get the RX inserts in them as well.

But then again having bad eyes and needing glasses is always another drama. Get laser surgery and then get some ESS cool guy glasses.

LOL couldnt resist!!

My RX Hellfly's rock, but when in the wind a low fitting helmet keeps wind from teh top, but it gets through the nose bridge. It's too bad Ray-Ban didn't make a ANSI rated Shrapnel proof lens in USGI Grey 14. If I don't get lasik, I am going for a pair of Ray Bans with that exact lens the only other lens that keeps wind out is the damn BCG's and they do it really good

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My RX Hellfly's rock, but when in the wind a low fitting helmet keeps wind from teh top, but it gets through the nose bridge. It's too bad Ray-Ban didn't make a ANSI rated Shrapnel proof lens in USGI Grey 14. If I don't get lasik, I am going for a pair of Ray Bans with that exact lens the only other lens that keeps wind out is the damn BCG's and they do it really good </div></div>

Have you looked at the Wiley X Bricks. May not be as stylin as others but with the gasket it works well when riding motorcycles. Can't see why they wouldn't work well in a turret. They are available with RX enhancements as well.

Pat

I need to look at the rest of the new stuff before I buy my next pair. I look at bikes and turrets as the same as with either you are 'In the Wind' so eye pro is top choice, goggles but they need RX inserts with dedicated single RX lenses the next choice and no freakin RX insert frames because thos suck ass. Inserts get dusty, and trap dust in between teh insert and the outer lens so you get a double layer of dust. The best ever lenses I had were some wrap frames from a small shop in Nor-Cal that I had custom lenses made for from a little optic company back home. Pure, totally clear focus in the entire lens, no distortion and dark Grey 15, just super lenses with ANSI/Ballistic stopping ability. No wind would get onto them at speeds over a buck 30, ever. No one could make the lenses to replace them at the quality I wanted so I had to go to the next best thing mail order since the place in Nor-Cal needs me to be there to do it right. Next pair will be VA and I hear they offer some nice stuff these days

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dagsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">U need to look at Rudy Project!! I have 2 sets, along with Oakleys, Maui Jims!! lol

For shooting the Rudy's rock. </div></div>

+1

Rudy's are the best eyewear I've ever owned. I have the Magster frames and use the NXT high contrast polarized photochromatic lenses for shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nomad is correct.

<span style="color: #FF0000">BTW, what ever happened to Gargoyle.</span> When I was in high school those were the bomb. Now I never see them anymore. I see they still make glasses, but I don't see many in the wild. </div></div>
They died off along with Dale Earnhart. (No disrespect but couldnt miss that one) In regards to why Oakley? The fit is great the lenses are super, very crisp image and decent protection. I love my half jackets and lenses are easy to swap out. For casual I use the standard but the XLJ will give you better protection.

I use wileys at work (SG-1 Vcuts) and it does fog up quick.

For my shooting I use Oakley Flak jackets XLJ with the black polarized lens. I only shoot in bright sunlight most of the time so that's what was "recommended" by a friend of a friend at the Oakley store.

I got them for $130 or $160 (can't remember exactly), Black frame/ black irridium polarized Flak jacket XLJ's.

He gave me about 10 cleaning suades, a big hard case, 5 soft cases, a larger soft case, and the lens cleaning kit with the tool kit. I gave most of that stuff away though. Good glasses, really comfortable (I have a smaller face profile).

My advice is to try them on if you have the chance.