• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need opinions on McMillan Camo Choice

mchurch52

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2011
Shreveport, LA
Hi all, need a little advice here. I recently picked this rifle up and am thinking about changing the stock. The gun was built by APA on a McMillan G30 CRF with a Broughton #5.75 barrel in 6.5x47. I am not sold on the AICS stock and am thinking about having the gun restocked in a McMillan A5, but can't decide what molded in camo to go with. My first thought was Desert Camo because it goes with the FDE cerakote on the barreled action and scope.

Just wondering what you guys think would look good with the FDE on the barreled action. I am worried the Desert Camo may be too much of the same color. Any thoughts on their McMillan Camo?

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Attachments

• G30.jpg
    G30.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 18
Take a look at Custom Gun Coatings. Branden is the shit and will make your gun look amazing.

Sorry to hijack, but I don't ever see G30 users and is love to know how you like the action? Do you have any other CRF guns to compare it with?

Re: your stock choice, for me it's hard to beat the GAP camo. Don't they have a desert GAP?

Last edited:
I think you're probably talking about the Desert Camo, which is similar to a GAP camo. Those two are probably my first and second choices right now.

The G30 is a very nice action. I've owned Pre-64 Model 70s, Dakota 76s and Mauser 98s. The G30 is a different animal because the extractor is internal, rather than external like the others. I think it is also safe to say that the G30 is built to tighter tolerances. It is certainly much smoother than the others, and is also smoother than my Stiller Tac 30. It seems like a great action from what time I've spent with it so far and I definitely prefer its 3-position safety, because it is what I'm most familiar with.

Thanks for the recommendation Whitea87. I am very interested in the McMillan camo, just haven't been able to find many pictures of it.

I would think the Tan Marble would look good. I know the Olive Marble looks good. Do a search for Bob L Swagger's rifles as he has a McMillan A5 in Olive Marble with FDE cerakote. It is an awesome combo! I copied his color combo in my new hunting rifle and it looks really good. I would be doing it again on my 6.5x47 and McMillan A5 but the action (Bat Tactical) is melonited and I have heard that cerakoting it isn't a good idea. The stock is Olive Marble but since the action is already black, the cerakoting will be black as well.

I went with 60%black and 40% medium tan with the rifle cerakoted Magpul FDE and I really like it.

2mrts9h.jpg

I think you're probably talking about the Desert Camo, which is similar to a GAP camo. Those two are probably my first and second choices right now.

The G30 is a very nice action. I've owned Pre-64 Model 70s, Dakota 76s and Mauser 98s. The G30 is a different animal because the extractor is internal, rather than external like the others. I think it is also safe to say that the G30 is built to tighter tolerances. It is certainly much smoother than the others, and is also smoother than my Stiller Tac 30. It seems like a great action from what time I've spent with it so far and I definitely prefer its 3-position safety, because it is what I'm most familiar with.

Thanks, I'm just dying to build off of one!

I'm not a fan of the marble McMillan finishes, don't know why. The larger areas and defined lines of their original camo patterns just suit my eye better.

EaternNChunter, I really like those stocks from the link you provided. Any idea what the color mix is on those, 60/20/20, 50/25/25 etc? Thanks!

Go with sand camo. Check beanlandrifles.com in the gallery for an example of one with (I believe) FDE.

Last edited:
I've got a stock with their "McMillan 5 color camo" and I really like it. It looks much better in person, my camera sucks.

Close up

I've also got a Manners painted in Gap Desert camo by 30calsniper (USgunworks). Fantastic work he does, imo.

Hope that helps.

Those are very sharp! I thought I had my mind made up on an olive/tan/black marble pattern, but now you have me questioning my decision. I guess I just need more guns so I can have a variety of stock patterns...