• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Need opinions on my first .338 lapua ladder test

stephensdwinn

Private
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2011
Centerville, Utah
I've done reloading before for my .308, but have not done a ladder test til now. I gathered as much information as I could from posts on the forums, and started with a pretty wide range of loads. I'm aware the loads very from rifle to rifle, hence my large range. I'm using H1000, CCI primers, SMK 300gr. and Lapua brass. I've forgotten my OAL currently but will surely post it later. I loaded in .5 grain increments, starting at 85.0 and worked to 91.0. I had no signs of over pressure, bolt lift was good throughout. The thing that blew my mind and you will see in the picture, is the factory ammo I shot grouped good, and was only about 1.25 inches left of center. However most the test shots continued to hit further left; some even off the paper target on to the background paper.

300yd test, H1000, CCI primer, 300gr SMK, Lapua brass

338 ladder by stephensdwinn, on Flickr

As you can see shots 4,6,8,10,12,13 all hit left of the target. The distance in inches under the shot number is how far off the paper the shot hit(an estimation by my dad marking the target for me behind the berm). The shots marked with an "F" infront of them is my factory group measuring 1.5 inches on center. I'm thinking the next step is to load 3 shot of each starting at load 8 and working to load 12. I'm not too sure what happened with shot 11 hitting that low, unless the heat waves threw me for that big of a loop on that shot; they were pretty bad. Any experienced opinions would be greatly appreciated, if more information is needed I will be happy to give what I can. We were not running a chrono so I'm not sure of velocities. As stated above I was shooting 300yds, heat wave was pretty terrible. Thanks for your help ahead of time.

**Edit** I forgot to mention I'm shooting the DTA Covert .338 with the 26" barrel

Re: Need opinions on my first .338 lapua ladder test

shots 5, 6, 7 seem to look decent. I would look into that node area as the vertical is pretty darn close.

since this is a ladder, ur not supposed to care bout horizontal stringing, but a couple things I will add to that; one, mirage/wind will def have an affect. and two, if this a new rifle with new trigger, and it being a large cal magnum, I would pay very close attention to form and trigger squeeze. these WILL affect ur groups.

good luck
DT

Yeah, I was actually feeling pretty sore shooting this ladder, I was shooting sitting, and I almost always shoot prone. So the recoil on my shoulder was a tad different than what I am used to. That's why I shot those 3 factory rounds at the end of the ladder to make sure I was still shooting properly, and not throwing form in some way I may not have been noticing. Thank you for your response by the way, I was hoping to get quite a bit of input.

Have you zeroed in on a good load for that barrel -- including COAL?