• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Need optics help for Rem 700P

Wuggzwest

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2012
 Need Optic help for Rem 700P
Hello all,

I am looking to put an optic on my rem 700P 308. I thought I made the decision on a Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50mm TMR FRONT FOCAL. My first issue that bothers me is that you can't get the ER/T with an illuminated reticle. My 2nd concern is the front focal, what are the pros/cons of having front focal? Are there any cons?
Is not having the illuminated reticle option a big deal?

This brings me to the next question which is should I look into other optic companies?
Which companies? (Nightforce, vortex)

What mount and what rings do you recommend?

Right now the rifle is bare with a Harris bipod.

Keep in mind I can buy that Mark 4 up above for 1200.00 out the door.

I really do appreciate any help you guys can give me. I'm new to this board and It seems great. Thanks

Re: Need optics help for Rem 700P

Listing your intended uses as far as the distances you plan to shoot, if you are going to be hunting, shooting steel targets, etc. would be helpful to know and may get you more responses.

i like the nightforce in that range, you could also get into a vortex razor if ffp really means that much to you. you can range without it pretty easily, need a little more information to give a good recommendation

It will primarily be used for precision shooting from distances anywhere from 100-1000+ yards (If and when I can get to a range that goes out that far) I might bring it into a stand one day for the hell of it of take it out west for a long shot on a mule deer. I'm not against other optics but I can get the Mark 4 for a really good price, just disappointed that the model doesn't come illuminated.

Hope this info helps.

What's the pros/cons of front focal ?

Just read it, the thread wasn't too good. Seemed like everyone was fighting with each other lol!

I just bought a Leupold Mark 4 M5 ER/T but in 8.5-25x50. If you are going to range your targets, the FFP is the way to go.

Haven't dealt with a higher power Ffp scope but on the ss3-9 I didn't notice any of the downsides others mentioned.

The TMR is an excellent reticle. The mag range you are looking at is a bit high for most hunting scenarios.

Yes, there are pros/cons to FFP, just as there are for SFP.
The biggest con is the fact that the reticle on a FFp scope becomes very fine at lower magnification, which is why illume can be important. Won't be too much of an issue with a low end of 6.5. Do not become enamored with high mag, too much of a good thing can be a hindrance (IMHO). 14 or 15 x is plenty for tactical type shooting out to 1000 yards.

If you plan on "target" type shooting, as in F-Class, you are better served with a quality SFP scope, usually of a 6-24 or 8-32 variety.

I suggest you take a look at the Weaver 3-15 mil/mil tactical. It has illumination and plenty of travel to get you to 1000 with the .308.

Thanks, I appreciate that info. I'm really looking to buy a Mark 4, just not sure which one. I can get the 6.5-20x50mm ER/T FFP with either the M1 or M5 turrets for 1200.00 out the door which is an incredible price. I'm just not sure if I wanna go M1 or M5 turrets? And FFP or SFP....