• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need recommendation on scope choice for hunting and target shooting

• Thread starter Deleted member 188725
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188725

I need help deciding on a scope for hunting 50 yards out to 450 yards in Alabama, and maybe target/prs shooting 500-1000 yards. I am trying to decide between a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56, the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50, the NX8 40-32x50, Vortex Lht 4.5-22x50 or Vortex PST gen 2. I am having a .308 built by Michael Deloach with Nine Run Gun in Georgia: Proof Research Sendero 24 inch barrel, TriggerTech Diamond trigger, Kauger Arms VPR action, Hawkins DBM, Manners LRH stock. I just sold my Nightforce NXS because i want to go FFP. I want to get this rifle in Milrad because i want to learn MIL over MOA because that is the language of PRS shooting. One day i want to get a dedicated PRS/Long range caliber rifle for longer range shooting, but for now, i need this rifle to be for hunting and bench shooting. I talked to Leupold on the phone today and they weren't very helpful. They said i absolutely couldn't use the Mark5hd for hunting at the close distances i want to use it because of the thin reticle. They wouldn't even discuss it with me. Odd. I just needed to hear their ideas on what the scope can be used for. Give me some ideas why you would or woudn't choose any of these optics. Also, would the Nx8 with the max 20 power be enough magnification to get me to 1000 yards or would i need the higher magnification of 32 power to get me that far ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to run a scope suitable for hunting and prs is a challenge.
Typically, a PRS scope runs higher mag, with a low end typically to high for many hunting situations.
The nightforce 2.5-20 would likely serve the dual purpose best (of those you have listed).
A quality 3-18 would work well, 18x is absolutely sufficient for PRS shooting.
Look to the Burris XTR III illuminated 3.3-18 @gr8fuldoug can help you here.
Otherwise, buy two scopes. The new bushnell 5-30 match pro can supposedly be had for a bit less than 700 leaving you room for a good quality hunting scope like a decent 3-12 or 3-15

NX8 4-32. But at low magnification you’ll want to turn on illumination.

Otherwise Maven RS3’s reticle is pretty usable at low magnification. The original doesn’t have capped windage but the new RS2.1 does. RS3 is 400 off and I jumped on one.

Trying to run a scope suitable for hunting and prs is a challenge.
Typically, a PRS scope runs higher mag, with a low end typically to high for many hunting situations.
The nightforce 2.5-20 would likely serve the dual purpose best (of those you have listed).
A quality 3-18 would work well, 18x is absolutely sufficient for PRS shooting.
Look to the Burris XTR III illuminated 3.3-18 @gr8fuldoug can help you here.
Otherwise, buy two scopes. The new bushnell 5-30 match pro can supposedly be had for a bit less than 700 leaving you room for a good quality hunting scope like a decent 3-12 or 3-15
would the 2.5-20 power be enough magnification to help me shoot to 1000 yards?

NX8 4-32. But at low magnification you’ll want to turn on illumination.

Otherwise Maven RS3’s reticle is pretty usable at low magnification. The original doesn’t have capped windage but the new RS2.1 does. RS3 is 400 off and I jumped on one.
why the nx8 4-32 over the 2.5-20 ?

I have both. For the extra money and hardly any extra weight, it’s a no brainer. Little longer makes it a little easier to use as far as eye box at least. For a 308, I just can’t imagine where you’d have to have 2.5 at the bottom end. And unless you must have 2.5 at the bottom end or a very short scope, go with the 4-32 especially FFP. The 2.5-20 is on my predator rig and can’t say I’ve used the absolute bottom end, and it is SFP. I had a 2.5-20 FFP and sold it.

I have both. For the extra money and hardly any extra weight, it’s a no brainer. Little longer makes it a little easier to use as far as eye box at least. For a 308, I just can’t imagine where you’d have to have 2.5 at the bottom end. And unless you must have 2.5 at the bottom end or a very short scope, go with the 4-32 especially FFP. The 2.5-20 is on my predator rig and can’t say I’ve used the absolute bottom end, and it is SFP. I had a 2.5-20 FFP and sold it.
You've used it at 50 yards against medium sized game like deer?

No. But I can’t see where 1.5x is going to matter even that close. And OP is looking more for a do-all. Without question the bigger one is much closer to that.
Disagree with that, the difference is significant at that short range, another consideration is the FOV on low power. (Which the OP will need to look at)
I honestly think he would be better served with two scopes.
Most PRS shooters never go above 18 to 20 power so the 2.5-20, in my opinion, meets his stated goals better.
Again, that's only my opinion.

That all could be true, particularly the need for two scopes. But I’m speaking from my own experiences as a hunter in the Midwest using both. If I recall the 4-32 has better field of view on 20x at 100.

That all could be true, particularly the need for two scopes. But I’m speaking from my own experiences as a hunter in the Midwest using both. If I recall the 4-32 has better field of view on 20x at 100.
Very possible.
Many folks assume that lower power always equates to larger FOV, which is not always the case.

Leupold 3-18 or nx8 2.5-20 are the ones I like.

With FFP you will probably be shooting your load development type groups at say 100 yards using the max power, past 500-600 you may want to dial back to 12-14x depending on the target sizes/conditions, hunting you will want it around 5x.

The leupolds are a bit lighter than the others if that helps.

Disagree with that, the difference is significant at that short range, another consideration is the FOV on low power. (Which the OP will need to look at)
I honestly think he would be better served with two scopes.
Most PRS shooters never go above 18 to 20 power so the 2.5-20, in my opinion, meets his stated goals better.
Again, that's only my opinion.
Can you show me a picture of your 4-32 on the rifle? I wonder how it looks being shorter than my NXS.

Reactions: BCP
I need help deciding on a scope for hunting 50 yards out to 450 yards in Alabama, and maybe target/prs shooting 500-1000 yards. I am trying to decide between a Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56, the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50, the NX8 40-32x50, Vortex Lht 4.5-22x50 or Vortex PST gen 2. I am having a .308 built by Michael Deloach with Nine Run Gun in Georgia: Proof Research Sendero 24 inch barrel, TriggerTech Diamond trigger, Kauger Arms VPR action, Hawkins DBM, Manners LRH stock. I just sold my Nightforce NXS because i want to go FFP. I want to get this rifle in Milrad because i want to learn MIL over MOA because that is the language of PRS shooting. One day i want to get a dedicated PRS/Long range caliber rifle for longer range shooting, but for now, i need this rifle to be for hunting and bench shooting. I talked to Leupold on the phone today and they weren't very helpful. They said i absolutely couldn't use the Mark5hd for hunting at the close distances i want to use it because of the thin reticle. They wouldn't even discuss it with me. Odd. I just needed to hear their ideas on what the scope can be used for. Give me some ideas why you would or woudn't choose any of these optics. Also, would the Nx8 with the max 20 power be enough magnification to get me to 1000 yards or would i need the higher magnification of 32 power to get me that far ?

You need two scopes and rifles

Reactions: BCP and Kline

Attachments

• 55D80965-0E03-4E5C-B522-6B66CBFF517F.jpeg
    55D80965-0E03-4E5C-B522-6B66CBFF517F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 79
Should have kept your NXS. It would have been perfect for what you're asking.

Reactions: BCP
Should have kept your NXS. It would have been perfect for what you're asking.
It’s was In moar. I’m wanting to switch over to learn Milrad. Want to start shooting competitions

It’s was In moar. I’m wanting to switch over to learn Milrad. Want to start shooting competitions
NXS in mils... lol

Honestly there's a hole in the market for an excellent crossover scope option. Leupold has extended their MK5 into a 2-10 option, March now has a FFP 1.5-15 with their dual reticle, NF has their NX8 series and there are rumors of a "better" NX6 series on the horizon, ZCO is in the development states of their MPVO, etc...

It's known that there is a lack here; I wonder who will really hit the home run filling the void.

Tell me more of these NX6 rumors? Or where I can find any information?
I didn't mean to perpetuate the rumors.
lol
Only that I heard a rumor. Saw it on a thread here and heard it in a casual conversation at work.
All in all, the mere fact that there is a rumor at the very least means that there is a desire for this product, which supports my claim of there being a hole that needs to be filled.

Reactions: YotaEer
I was running a nx8 4-32 on my 280 ai hunting rig and switched to the burris xtr3 3-18 for the better eye relief under recoil so I can spot shots easier. get the illuminated version .I can still get out to 2k with the 18x burris