• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Reloading Advice

Swan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
San Diego, CA
I want to start reloading for my rifle (.308) and from the sound of it a single stage press is the best way, right? Except that I shoot a lot of .45 in IDPA as well and REALLY need to start reloading that, which would be best served by a progressive press. What are the best value options to do both? Progressive and use as single stage? or Single stage and deal with it?

Help
smile.gif

Re: Need Reloading Advice

Do NOT try to reload 45 on a single stage, you'll poke your own eyes out!!

Check out Brianenos.com and read about the Dillon options.

For reloading the .308, especially if you are wanting precision ammo, you will want a single stage press. If you are just getting into reloading I would suggest one of the kits like a Lee or RCBS. They usually come with just about everything you need to get started. My buddy reloads all of his .45, .45 GAP, .40 S&W, and 30-06 with his cheap Lee annaversary kit. I reaload all my .308's with the cheap Lee annaversary kit. It may seem slow going at first but you will develop a rhythm. My advice is to start there with a sigle stage press and see how you like it and how it goes. If you find you are reloading more and need more speed than it is easy to purchase an additional turret press and you will already have everything else you need.

Ya I've checked out the Enos website quite a bit and looked over the Dillons as well. If I was only shooting pistol, that would be the way. But for precision rifle they seem to be a bit much, when single stage may get better results. What about the Lee Turret models? Anyone use these, and can good results be obtained for pistol AND rifle?

Don't discount the progressive for rifle ammo. More than one world class shooter loads on a Dillon.

For a progressive press to demonstrate its worth, the powder dispensing function must be integral to the process. This should be considered for both pistol and rifle rounds. For such a process to be reliable, your choices are restricted to Hornady and Dillon. You may want to make your comparisons of progressive to single-stage based on the powder measure, considering the powder measure will be the limitation for your rifle rounds, depending on powder choice. If a powder measure is considered inadequate, it is necessary to consider your method of powder dispensing for rifle rounds, whether individually weighed, or dispensed as with an RCBS ChargeMaster Combo.

You're asking a very complicated question. Most people have different processes for pistol and rifle. You can try the progressive route and modify it after gaining some experience. Most start with a single-stage and add a progressive when necessary. You could incorporate a Lee Classic Turret into your single-stage routine, but I see the powder function as compromising.

IMHO - a progressive press is best when using carbide dies, where you do not have to lube the cases prior to sizing, nor clean off the lube afterward.

No carbide dies are made for bottleneck rifle cases, unless something changed in the last 20 years.

I load everything but shotgun shells on my dillon 550.

My rifle loads, whether weighed on my chargemaster on thrown from the dillon measure, are powder specific and taylored to the task. Bulk loading with 748, H322, BLC2 (ball powders) throw excellently in the Dillon measure. For extruded powders, the CM is money.

You can treat your progressive like a single stage until you are proficient. On a single stage press, you'll eventually hit the limit of the press speed and, after you've gouged your eyes out, wander about blindly cursing your choice of a single stage press. This may be an exageration!

Get a couple manuals first, they'll help you decide,

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DustyJacket</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO - a progressive press is best when using carbide dies, where you do not have to lube the cases prior to sizing, nor clean off the lube afterward.

No carbide dies are made for bottleneck rifle cases, unless something changed in the last 20 years. </div></div>

Dillon makes carbide dies for bottleneck rifle cartridges. BUT they still have to be lubed. The carbide, in this case, is mainly for wear resistance instead of lubricity.

+1 to queequeg. If you're the slightest bit mechanically inclined, get a Dillon 550b and be done with it. I load .308 semi progressively ... resize, deprime and prime in one step, charge [with the Dillon powder measure] and seat in another step. I shoot a highpower league at 600 and at 1000 very successfully with this ammo. I single load when working up new loads. I get every bit as much runout and COAL consistency as with a single stage. I load .40 fully progressively.

I use a Dillon RL550 for 90% of my handgun ammo and for loading most of my .223 ammo. I've found that the very best accessory for the Dillon is a good single stage press. I use a RCBS Rockchucker to avoid getting the different stations "out of sync" to solve the rare jams and problems with any progressive press.

I prefer using the Rockchucker for most rifle calibers due to the amount of required case prep.

- Innovative

Here are some random tidbit of my experience to help out. FWIW, I have a rockchucker supreme single-stage and a Hornady progressive ("every bit as good as blue"). Coincidentally, I also started loading due to a 308...

- Single-vs-progressive: you'll want one of each, eventually. If you shoot tons of 45 AND and want a load tailored to your gun, get the progressive first. If you put any value on your time at all, you'll see that it's not about saving money as much as it is getting exactly what you want, BUT ... with todays' ammo prices, you probably will actually save a lot of money!
- For rifle loads where you want consistent powder charges, the RCBS chargemaster powder dispenser is a dream (there are others, too) for kernel-style powders, and if you want consistent powder charges, it's worth it's price in time reclaimed and increased shooting (vs loading). The culver-style dispensers don't work stellar for kernel-like powder (varget, IMR 4064, H4350,etc.) but work fine for flake powder.
- The RCBS rockchucker kit is "ok". The press is great, but the rest of the kit contents are marginal. The priming tool is good, but the powder throw, loading block, funnel, lube system are all "just ok". To do over, I'd get just the press, the chargemaster for powder, loading blocks from sinclair, priming tool from rcbs or lee (both are cheap and work fine), a non-plastic funnel, imperial sizing wax (instead of the lube and pad in the kit)... I found after first use that most of the stuff in the kit wasn't going to cut it and ended up with these things anyway, so why not save the $ and avoid sure-to-be-surplused components.
- I've heard the forster single stage press and die-holding mechanism can lead to insanely good runout numbers, but if something else is the limiting factor (gun isn't super precision machined, or whatever) maybe that's excessive.
- Hornady seems to be one of the few companies still innovating, hence I'm inclined (anymore) to try their stuff first, so I read a bit about progressives, talked to people that have dillons and hornadys and in the end, picked a hornady due to the above innovation statement. I'm in love with the "lock and load" "bushings", and think their priming system is pretty much awesome. Dillon has mind-share and backs their stuff really well (so I'm told) but I opted the other way and have no regrets.
- I personally don't like to throw powder into a case with lube still on it, so I tumble, deprime, lube, and size bottle neck cases on the single stage. I then clean the lube off! and prime with the hand tool. Throw powder with the dispenser, fill up some number of cases and then seat all at once. All single stage.
- For bottleneck cases where I'm not so concerned about consistency (and use a flake powder) I'll do everything after sizing on my progressive. The tussle and such associated with sizing bottle neck cases (even with lube, I often get a little chatter on cases that I've shot many times) I'd think would cause bizarre powder variations, but haven't tested it to know.
- Pistol cartridge loading is insane on single stage, as others have said. I load 9mm and .45 on this hornady progressive and think it's easy to "dial in" and once in the groove, goes like a champ. Loading 9mm, I can do about 300 rnds an hour without too much intensity (yes, I've clocked it).
- Hornady sells a "pistol sized" volume adjustment piston (forget the actual terms) that you put in the dispenser instead of the default deal. That's a must have for lower-volume charges (e.g. anything using titegroup). Excellent control over charges and great consistency.
- I suggest reading this: http://www.6mmbr.com/308win.html

Is your 308 something "custom" or is it factory?

factory Rem700 SPS Tac. (20"bbl)... I think I am more unsure now than ever.

Maybe saving up for a progressive is a better idea. Then, later, get a single stage for precision rifle fine tuning.

ugh

You can load rifle rounds on a progressive just fine. Unless you're using an easily-metered powder, you could end up weighing each charge or using a ChargeMaster Combo. Also, you might get less run-out seating with a single-stage press. The process will probably be quite different from loading pistol rounds on the progressive. Depending on the process settled upon, loading rifle rounds on a single-stage may be easier and faster.

I think I agree with your approach: get a progressive and try it. Think Hornady. Better powder measure and cheaper changeover. The AP is very popular. It's the right press for your pistol ammo, and you can decide later whether the second press is warranted. Be sure and look at the accessories for the powder measure.

While there are lots of factors affecting, there are couple that are game-changing:
- You won't load 45 ammo on a single stage press more than once! If you shoot a ton of that, you're ought to start worrying about that long before you worry about rifle ammo, which I assume you shoot far less "volume" through. I.e., progressive is your first step.
- You can get dies and such and load 308 on the progressive and then move them to a single stage, of course, but with any culver-style powder dispenser, you're choice of powder will be affected. I know TAC flows well and is supposedly "ok" for 308. The choices are vast, but I'll bet you lunch at taco bell that the old standbys - Varget, 4064 - will drive you mad in such a dispenser; as it did me.

Note also that a factory chamber on a remington 700 (in my experience) is big enough to fit a small SUV in, so you're brass will be expanding like mad. The "bushing" dies don't work great in such cases. A "honed to fit" sizing die makes sense in this case so you don't make the work-hardening of the brass even worse. Forster charges like $10 to do that - sweet deal. I think hornady does something similar.

Final note: you can pull out all the stops and do supreme rifle loads, but your gun and optics will probably limit you anyway (unless you have a really high mag, razor sharp scope). I spent too much time and money trying to get better loads for a factory gun (rem 700 pss) when shooting more would have been a better investment!

Regarding progressives:
Hornady updated the AP to make the ejection better (I've only had trouble with 9mm, personally) and they still have their 1000 free bullet deal going on: http://www.hornady.com/media/get-loaded-stay-loaded.pdf

Midsouth price on the AP: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005095100