• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Progressive Press case trimming

LaFayette1776

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2023
usa
I'm new to reloading. I've started step one and read books. Lyman 51st edition gives steps to reloading. Step 8 is case measurement and 9 is trimming and deburring. I understand if using a single stage or turret press. However, how is that done on a progressive press? I don't see a lot of videos of reloaders using a Rt1500 or similar system.

For rifle, most guys load in two passes, prep and load, and trim in between if they're going to. For blaster ammo, you may see more trim systems on the larger 1050/1100 style progressives.

For pistol, I've never trimmed. One pass, loaded round comes off every pull.

For rifle, most guys load in two passes, prep and load, and trim in between if they're going to. For blaster ammo, you may see more trim systems on the larger 1050/1100 style progressives.

For pistol, I've never trimmed. One pass, loaded round comes off every pull

And that's why I'm a noob. I just assumed a progressive press was one pass but two makes so much more sense.

And thanks for telling me about the pistol!

Loading rifle is a two step process.

One brass prep tool head and one loading tooo head.

Brass prep is full length resize, then trim, then neck expand.

Loading tool head is prime, dropmpowder, seat
Bullet, then factory crimp die.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Loading rifle is a two step process.

One brass prep tool head and one loading tooo head.

Brass prep is full length resize, then trim, then neck expand.

Loading tool head is prime, dropmpowder, seat
Bullet, then factory crimp die.
Would case cleaning still fall at the beginning of case prep on a progressive?

Would case cleaning still fall at the beginning of case prep on a progressive?

For range brass I would...

For brass that rarely touches the ground I don't. I just clean after sizing to get the lube off

So I do all brass in wet tumbling first before they go through my press. Then run all through the brass prep stage while they are lubed.

Then I dry tumble for 30 minutes or so to get libe off and then run through loading tool head.

I usually prep a shit ton of dirty brass and get it ready for the loading stage. Then I can just grab out of the “clean” brass and load them on the loading tool head. That way it just feels like one step lol.