• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need rifle recomendations for my wife!

19dsniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Fort Hood Texas
I, like many, have parted together Ruger 10/22 rifles for myself and the occasional friend that never realised how easy it was... Well my wife fell in love with one of my rifles and now wants an "accurate and pretty" .22 cal rifle. Well, all of my ruger rifles have been standard from walmart and then parted together... nothing super accurate.. I have a savage .22 that will outshoot it all day long.. so here is my question. Who makes an "accurate and pretty .22cal rifle"? Preferably no extended mag below the stock. Nice Wood stock. bull barrel. she prefers the grey or walnut laminate look.. of corse im trying to keep the price down.. I wouldnt mind a custom rifle as long as it has realy good accuracy and looks good. This is something i need before x-mas. Prefer 1 moa or better with quality match ammo. also, scope recomendations.. i dont need a NightForce but im not going to put a damn tasco on it either. Thanks everyone for chiming in...
Pics of your rifles are always welcome.. and feel free to brag as thats what she wants.. a rifle with bragging rights!!! I do need to stick with .22 LR as it something she wants to be able to shoot all day without breaking the bank.

Re: Need rifle recomendations for my wife!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19dsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.. so here is my question. Who makes an "accurate and pretty .22cal rifle"? </div></div>

Anschutz, Kimber, Cooper, but at half the price of one of those is one of my all time favorite .22 rifles, the Remington 541-T special edition with a maple stock. The standard 541-T and 541-S rifles are nice looking too and shoot lights out.

Have you looked into 17hmr?? From what I understand they are more accurate than a .22 and she might like it better. I think savage makes a real good 17hmr

I built my wife a 223 ... got a Stevens 200 for $285 then chucked the tupperware stock and got her a purdy laminate job from Stockies. Had a SS 10x HD in the safe unoccupied so I stuck that on it. Glass bedded the lug and 2 inches. Went and zeroed it ... put a round through a nickel I tapped to some plywood at 100 yards and zip tided it to the trigger guard. Got her a shiny aluminum case at a local manufacture second sale for $75. Her first day out she center punched a shoot and see target at 100. I told her it was luck and to shoot a 3 round group. She shot a .685 group ... who am I to complain. She kept the target and put it in a little frame on her desk at work ...

I have a savage MK II heavy barrel 17 HMR with the accu-trigger and she likes it.. but she is wanting a 22 LR. just her personal choice. I agree that my .17 is definately more accurate at 1 moa or better, and almost the same to shoot once you buy good match .22lr. ammo.. but its what she want.

Have you ever built a 10/22 on a match grade barrel? What's your budget? I put a Green Mountain 20" stainless .920 barrel on a 28 year old 10/22. Installed it in a Boyds tacticool stock. If she likes pretty stocks, they have other options as well http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-Blaster-Ruger-10-22-s/39.htm . I put a Leupold 3x9 MKII on it in MK4 rings on a Tactical Solutions 15 MOA base. With Wolf Match Extra, it shoots under 1 inch at 100 yards.

broom_gun.jpg

my wife likes the remington 597 i got her and i also think its a nice rifle if you dont plan to modefi it (stock) rifle to (stock) rifle i think its better than the 10/22

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WarMachine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
broom_gun.jpg
</div></div>

Isn't this a Class III destructive device?

I have modded my current 10/22 with a Boyds stock, and first with a green mountain barrel.. Then later with another high quality barrel.. i cant remember whos untill i go pull it out of the safe and look again. Shoots better then green mountain barrels. I may go the 10/22 route..
So how about this: Clark Custom or Volquartsen? Clark is right about a grand.. Volquartsen is around $1500. Seems alot for a .22 What kind of accuracy is seen from a $1500 volquartsen rifle? LOL... No, seriously, i have no clue. anyone know?

It is in the hands of most wives...LOL

The only experience I have is with the Green Mountain barrel. Maybe I just got lucky, but with Wolf Match Extra, it meets the accuracy guarantee of the Clark Custom 10-22's. Have you checked over at RimfireCentral http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php ? They're a dedicated rimfire forum.

The only volquartsen I have is the Fusion. With Wolf Match Target ammo I get around 1" 10 round groups at 100 yards. Now this is the take-down model, the standard guns are supposed to be even better.

I have a bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 on the fusion. Decent scope for the 22lr. Not as nice as my Nightforce but not as expensive.

Honestly, its your wife and she likes to shoot. Consider yourself lucky and get her something she can be proud of.

I agree with 168BTHPM...The 541S has been a favorite of mine for 40 years. Shortened the barrel to 18 inches and it is extremely accurate and has a killer trigger. JMHO

I would need a bit more information on your funding capacity, but the Sako Finnfire rifle has an accuracy capacity similar to an Anschutz for much less money. They are a bit hard to find because they are not currently manufactured and those who own them have a hard time parting with them.

You can start out with a stock version and make improvements from there. The best thing about this rifle is that Dan Lilja (if you don't know that name do a web search to learn about him) makes a drop-in barrel that takes less than 5 minutes to install using an allen wrench and a screw driver.

Scan the web for images and be aware there are different stocks and barrels you can get as stock items on a Finnfire. This may be more expense and more accurate than you are really looking for, so good luck in your quest!

I put this one together for the wife she has shot a pile of prarire dogs with it. All way from 10 yards to 200 yards or so. She can shoot pretty small groups with it at 50 and 100 of a bench in a rest. Almost forgot it is a 17 Mach II

Rugers001.jpg

Well i went with a stock 10/22 from the local gun store:
on order:
Stock: Prone style - Target Culbertson, Grey Laminate
Barrel: KID: .920 Bull.
Charging handle: KID
Trigger: VQ.

I'm too late, but I would have 2nd'd the 17hmr. My wife like to see the hits by using reactive targets. And a 17hmr does alot better then the 22lr. A nice bolt action would be my choice. Anything from a Ruger upto a Cooper depending on your budget.

There is a real beauty fancy walnut 10/22 on RFC, wants 1100 but it will not go for more than 800 with out glass, I like laminate but the real deal can be much prettier

I was going to throw in on the CZ reccomendation also but you already bought, I'm sure shell be happy.

My wife loves her mid lenght gas system sabre defence It has a surefire flash hider, a sure fire mini, a ctr stock, aimpoint T1, a surefire scout, and a magpul angle fore grip.
She has also recently claimed my M24.
I really love that woman!!

I have a ruger heavy barrel laminated stock that is beautiful and with match ammo will shoot one hole all day long

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovain1932</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a ruger heavy barrel laminated stock that is beautiful and with match ammo will shoot one hole <span style="color: #CC0000">at a time </span> all day long </div></div>

There. Fixed it.