• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Need sand for shooting bags

Some Day

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
PA
Does anyone know where I can get some zircon sand or chromite sand.Sinclair the only one I could find that sells the chromite but they're all out of it can't find anyone else that sells it.I can't find anyone who sells the zircon at all.

I thought you guy that shoot a 1000 yards competition would know where to get heavy sand at.I thought you guys used that type of sand all the time.

I thought you guy that shoot a 1000 yards competition would know where to get heavy sand at.I thought you guys used that type of sand all the time.

I've shot several 1000 yard competitions, and never once used a bag of any kind. Well, O.K., a bag to hold my gear.

for like rear stock rest type of bag, as in a squeeze bag, or are we talking full on sandbags to lay on the bipod and lock it in like a M2's tripod?

I think the OP is looking for heavy sand (zircon or chromite) to fill a rear bag, something that M40_A1 eschews when he shoots F-class LR competitions.

I would certainly not call it a squeeze bag, more like a rear rest. When I bought my Protektor 5-7 years ago, I bought the 20lbs heavy sand from Sinclair at the same time. I still have 5 lbs of it left over somewhere. Sinclair has been out of stock for it for a long time now as I have been considering a larger rear bag. A cursory search on the Internet shows that it costs about $150-$500 a ton, depending on quantity, and there are minimum orders for several tons. XTR has a good idea looking for a place locally that uses this stuff in quantity and see if you can buy 20-30 pounds from them. It's used in foundries, for example.

sorry I bad I was talking about the bench rest
guys that use rear bags.When guys get together at matches they talk and where to get things.I work in a foundry we don't use zircon just my luck.

If you don't want a gigantic bag, try the extra fine aquarium sand at any local pet store. You can get it in 5, 10, or 20 lb bags (or thereabouts) and it's not all that expensive.

ahh i see now, was asking cause if you were talking bout a squeeze type rear bag for there is alot of medias better than sand, but I see thats not what yer talking about.

Isn't it ironic how some people can read a post.And can't keep it in there head even when its specified what it is you are looking for.