• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need scope advice

Patriotparty

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2021
Ohio
Hi,

I’ve got an 18 inch upper 5.56. I’ll be shooting 75 or 77 gr cartridges. Distances will be 100 to 600 yards DMR role.

I will be shooting steel targets (if I could shoot a groundhog at 400 with this scope that would be great too). I would like to be able to engage targets at all ranges very quickly.

I don’t know much about scopes the more I read the more confusing it seems. They all have different reticles and options From what I think I know I would like a light weight scope bottom magnification 2 or 3 high end 10-15.
-FFP
- mil not MOA
price $800-2,000

Am I better to start cheaper at the $800 mark try to figure it out and upgrade later? I don’t have an issue with the money but I’m not looking to make a high dollar mistake.

Please list scope and reticle…. If you can point out as to why I’d really appreciate it. If you could list a cheaper scope and more expensive I’d appreciate it as well

Are there resources to help me with education around this?

Thank you for any help

Last edited:
Why do you want SFP? What you wrote says FFP to me.

I don’t know much about scopes the more I read the more confusing it seems. They all have different reticles and options From what I think I know I would like a light weight scope bottom magnification 2 or 3 high end 10-15.
-FFP
- mil not MOA
price $800-2,000

Here are a couple good options at $550.

Grab you a 3-18 in the 1500$ range with a reticle of your liking.
I like the xtr3.

I just bought a Vortex Viper PST Gen ll 1-6 from EuroOptic. Great scope for the money. The only issue is it is difficult to change magnification. Add a throw lever.

I picked up a gen2 3 x 15 x 44 2c mrad from euro optic and it is a perfect fit for my 18 inch 5.56 . I am shooting 77 grain matchkings out to 700 yds which is the farthest target in our prs gas gun matches . when I miss it's the Indian not the arrow .
WHXNgg9.jpg

Last edited:
DMR3 or DMR2 pro $1100 used.
The PX has good deals time to time on these or some of the others mentioned.
There’s a 5-25 EBRC-7 for $560 in the PX now. You’d get that back out of it if you decide to upgrade later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gohring65
Low end, Burris RT15 with the SCR2.

High end, Burris XTR3 3.3-18 with the same SCR2.

While I haven't used the RT series yet, I've read they have nice glass for the money. I have the XTR3, amazing optic for the price.