• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need Scope and Ring help

bullseye76

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2010
I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS in 308 w/ 20" barrel. I have a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x50 scope and am wondering what base and rings would be the best (within 200.00). I have been looking at the Leupold Mark 4 1 piece base and the Burris Extreme Tactical rings. Is this a good combination and if so, what height ring would I need (short, medium, high)? I appreciate any help.

Re: Need Scope and Ring help

Thanks for the info Storm, I am checking out their site now.

I ordered the Leupold one piece base a couple years ago and it looked like a roughly cast piece of junk. Sent it back and got a Badger Ordnance base. I like Leupolds Mark 4 rings, but not their one piece base. Seekins, Badger Ordnance, Nightforce GTG.

Badshot, thanks for the information. I guess I will axe the Mark 4 mount off my list and check out what is available from the other manufacturers you mentioned.

I like Warne rings and they are vertical type but i like them and their tactical rings are super tuff, give Jerry a call he will give you great info on everything they have! Not sure if they have any 20 MA bases but they do have a tactical line up and they make rings for a group of manufacturers! the have Alloy and steel and a good selection even though their catalog is hard to understand their product is GTG!

Nobody's mentioned EGW or Ken Farrel, they both make a good 20 moa base that is very reasonable. If you want to keep it under 200 dollars, that may be the way to go. I have 2 of the KF's, one on a remmy and one on a savage, I like the way they are built. Heavy and strong. The EGW's are aluminum I believe, I also have two of those on my custom .223's. Haven't got a single complaint. I put the Burris XTR rings on both .223's as well. I know the products mentioned may not be as high quality as Badger and NF, but they have served me very well for alot of rounds now.

my .02

I appreciate all the input, I was up till 3:45 this morning reading any and everything I could on bases and rings. I have been lucky to have bought or was given guns that were already scoped. I am leaning towards the NF 1 piece tactical mount and the alloy rings. I know it is a little more than I wanted to spend but at some point the Bushnell will go on my 26" bull barrel 308 700 Remington. Currently it has a Simmons Whitetail Classic (bought it that way, used). The Simmons scope, though not the best by all means has served me well. I can hold my own next to my pops who has high end everything and has been shooting since he came out the wound. Eventually I would like to replace the Bushnell with a NF or Schmidt & Bender police marksman 2 so I think the higher end mount and rings are the way to go. Still have a little more searching and reading to do before making my final decision.

Coldboremiracle, I am digging your 223 set up, very nice! Looks like you had a nice size budget while building that work of art.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bullseye76</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coldboremiracle, I am digging your 223 set up, very nice! Looks like you had a nice size budget while building that work of art. </div></div>

Thanks, it was alot of work. I'm not sure what you mean by nice size budget, but I was on a very slim one. I went the most inexspensive way on almost everything while trying not to buy garbage. It turned out pretty good though, I love it.

Good luck with your project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crowmosly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard TPS tactical bases and rings are pretty good. They have aluminium or steel bases and rings for decent prices. Here's a link. http://www.tpsproducts.com/ </div></div>+1
TPS, Murphy's or Badger would be my choice. Seekins are good, but do not count on them being available.

Coldboremiracle, I just meant it is a nice build and looks like it would cost a fortune. I just hope I can be as lucky. Again thanks for all the input.

Wow, so much information out there. Most articles I am reading are saying that most 50mm scopes will require high rings and some extreme cases will call for x-high rings. Like the Ken Farrell and Seekins products, look top notch and reviews seem to be excellent. The more I read the more confused I get.

We just shipped out over 700 sets of rings to customers and vendors so someone should have them available shortly. Liberty optics just got a pile of them.

Medium height is what i would recommend A 20 moa base is the best of both worlds because you can still shoot all the short distance you want and have more elevation available if some day you need it.

Thanks for the help Glen for the help, I will check with the vendors to see if I can locate before they are all gone.