• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need Scope, Base, Rings Recommendation for Newbie with Remington 5r MilSpec X-mas Gift

IndianaRem5r

Major General
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2013
Pawnee, IN
The wife bestowed upon me a really nice .308 24" Rem 5r for XMas, totally to my surprise. I am a long time recreational shooter (rifle and pistol) but no real precision/long-range rifle experience. I am a mechanical engineer by education and career, so I am capable of technical understanding, but have much to learn.

I do want to get shooting the 5r and don't need the best build starting out. I am okay with a fixed power scope and want mil/mil. I want to spend about $500 for scope, base, and rings. I realize I will be upgrading this firearm as time (and my learning) goes on.

I need the help of the more experienced shooter who has been down this road before. BTW, this is my first post and I have just started to enjoy the forum.

Thanks for your input in advance.

if you do a search on the subject i think you would find that the majority would recommend the weaver t 36 for fixed long range

Very cool Xmas gift, hi-five the wife!

The industry standard for budget mil/mil is the good ole SWFA SS 10x. If you're one who tends toward higher magnification, the 12x would be great too. The 16x and 20x models are more for deticated target setups and will be noticably dimmer. I'm of the option that if you want much over 15x in a tactical scope, you'll want to save up some more money.
For a variable, the Weaver 3-10x from midway is hard to beat, and also the Leupold Mk AR series have been very good for me. If there is a Sportsman's Warehouse around you, check out the Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42 they are having on clearance (normally $550, down to $350).

I vote Badger rings and 20 MOA rail. Then sell a couple guns and buy a decent scope.

Thanks for the great response!

Very cool Xmas gift, hi-five the wife!

The industry standard for budget mil/mil is the good ole SWFA SS 10x. If you're one who tends toward higher magnification, the 12x would be great too. The 16x and 20x models are more for deticated target setups and will be noticably dimmer. I'm of the option that if you want much over 15x in a tactical scope, you'll want to save up some more money.
For a variable, the Weaver 3-10x from midway is hard to beat, and also the Leupold Mk AR series have been very good for me. If there is a Sportsman's Warehouse around you, check out the Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42 they are having on clearance (normally $550, down to $350).

I got the same rifle with a 20" threaded barrel for Christmas. The first thing I did is install a new trigger (Timney 510) I would advise getting a new trigger soon. The next thing I did was install a new Seekins 20 moa base.
I had a 10x Sightron lll so I put it on. I very happy with the set up.

Welcome to the hide
PS I recommend Seekins base and rings

Last edited:
Crosshair gave you sound advice. The SWFA 10x is a great choice in a fixed.

Another option to consider but slightly more expensive (although worth it in my opinion) is SWFA 3-15 FFP. The 10x will serve you well. However, many find that they want more mag as they progressively begin to shoot longer distance.

I would go with Seekins 20MOA base, Seekins rings, and a Bushnell Elite Tactical (LRS) 10x 40. There are cheaper rings and bases, but Seekins is top quality, and won't need to be replaced when you upgrade the scope unless you need taller rings.

Last edited:
I would say, REALLY consider spending a bit more and getting a nice variable.

Fixed works fine. But a variable gives you more options.

The old Buy Once, Cry Once.

For the money you can't go wrong with a swfa fixed 10 scope, egw base and seekins rings. All in all it will stay in the budget that you have. You have what we call a keeper for a wife.