• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need serious guidance

bulldog911

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2013
mt
I'll try and make this a short as I can. Looking to start a new build. This will be a fun/hunting rig. So far my thoughts are 338 snipetac,375 chytac, 300prc. Open to other suggestions. This is not a competition rig and needs to be under 20lbs. Without optic if possible. I'd like to stay 28" or less on barrel maybe 30" as I'll be running a can.
As for cost of components, longevity, and so forth, what would be the best bang for the buck?
Let's say 338 snipetac vs 375 ct. Differnt action sizes, harder to fit in stocks and chassis (as far as options)
Is this way to far fetched or am I doing ok so far?
Any other options or suggestions you guys can recommend?
Thanks

My serious guidance is that there is no way in hell I would build a hunting rifle on the Cheytac case.

338 Norma or Lapua (or better yet, an improved version) will scratch both of the itches you describe with much less weight and bother. If you are intent on mashing the Super Duper Overkill button, you could go 33 or 37 XC. With the XC you could still use a Rem 700 size action and save a ton of weight over a Cheytac action.

Last edited:
Hunting gun with a barrel over 24”, and then a can, seems no bueno.

I guess it depends on your game, location, and hunt style, but none of your listed calibers besides 300PRC make me want to lug the gun for any distance.

No reason for more than a 300 PRC in a hunting rig. If you want an over the counter solution:

There are some talented vendors supporting this website that can create art work to match your dreams.
Cheers,

Because you listed a couple hot rods in the ST and CT, I'd suggest 300NM rather than 300prc.