• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need some 300WSM advice

veezer

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2007
Hazard, Kentucky
I have a browning A-bolt with a 22 inch barrel that I use for hunting and am wondering if anyone can help me out. I am using 180 gr. Swift scirocco's. I am limited to my OAL because of the detachable mag, so I can't make them longer than 2.855. Now the issue. I was using 67.0 gr of IMR4350 and getting 3000fps, but I had to compress the chardge and had some ejector marks on the case head and the primer pockets were getting loose. I backed the load down to 64.0 of 4350 and I still have to compress the powder a bit to seat the bullet and now the speed is averaging 2850, but no signs of overpressure. I would like to get my speed back around 3000, but this charge isnt going to work.

I'm thinking a ball powder might help. Has anyone used any of the ball powders and had good results? If I did go to a ball powder, could I get the speed back up and not get overpressure signs and not have to compress the load. Or maybe another type of extruded might work better?

I did try some reloader 22 once, but it seemed to be a really dirty powder (barrel was really dirty after a few shots).

Any help appreciated.

Re: need some 300WSM advice

How full is your case with that load? Is there still a little room between the bullet and powder column?

I think the compressed charge is what is holding me back.