• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some advice on the FV-SR?

BenY 2013

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
SW Arkansas
So my uncle asked me which .22 bolt gun I would recommend to run with a suppressor, and I instantly thought of the Savage FV-SR. I jokingly told him he should let me "make it better" and tonight he sent it home with me. I don't own one and this is my first dealing with any Savage rimfire. I'm planning on free-floating the barrel, stiffening the forend and bedding the action. Any other suggestions? Also is there any particular way to bed these actions? I know the Savage centerfires are picky about how the tang is bedded.

Any info would be very much appreciated! He also told me he was gonna pay me, what is the going rate for this type of work? Thanks

Re: Need some advice on the FV-SR?

your best bet is to just swap the stock. I bedded the forend with carbon arrow shafts and some 3m scotchweld and it's just as flexible as before. Not to mention the massive drop that the stock has makes it uncomfortable to shoot the rifle with out a cheek rest for extended periods. That's really about all you can do. There is a rifle basix trigger for it but seems like people just shim the trigger group to get the same effect. I would check out boyds for the stock but there are other places that make them but you'd have to search them out.

If it was my gun that would be the 1st thing I would have done! I'll ask him if he would like to but for now I've just got to work with the factory stock.

get a boyds stock. best $100 for that savage.. heres mine

photobucket-1724-1346348211291.jpg

photobucket-11922-1346348212383.jpg

photobucket-6648-1346348210766.jpg

Boyd Tacticool and DIP metal kit.

Buy an unfinished Tacticool from Midway if you plan on painting it anyway, and save a few bucks.

My FVSR does very well with CCI SV and Fed Automatch; never tried "better" ammo so not sure how it'd do with Eley, RWS, Wolf, Lapua, etc.

Like I said if it was my gun it would be restocked in a heartbeat! But sadly it is not my rifle. I shot it before I touched anything and was quite impressed strait from the factory printing very nice groups with CCI SV. Just what I have come to expect from Savage, although my highly customized Marlin XT-22 still put it and a few other Savages to shame
whistle.gif

All in all I really like the FV-SR, just wish I could convince my uncle to let me change the stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boyd Tacticool and DIP metal kit.

Buy an unfinished Tacticool from Midway if you plan on painting it anyway, and save a few bucks.
... </div></div>

Whats the advantage of unfinished vs finished, besides price point. Do you have to seal it after you paint it? The way I normally see it the shipping cost on midway negates any savings

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats the advantage of unfinished vs finished, besides price point. Do you have to seal it after you paint it? The way I normally see it the shipping cost on midway negates any savings </div></div>

The unfinished Boyd stock from Midway (currently out of stock) is $79.99; after the AR15.com $10 off $50 coupon code and UPS ground shipping, the cost to my door is $84.75.

To buy a painted Tacticool directly from Boyd's it costs $106.21 shipped to my door.

If you're going to paint the stock anyway, you might as well save $20...

What quality wood is the unfinished tacticool from Boyds? Could you put some kind of stain or clear coat on it to keep the wood grain look?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What quality wood is the unfinished tacticool from Boyds? Could you put some kind of stain or clear coat on it to keep the wood grain look? </div></div>

I'm not certain the quality of wood, to be honest...here's what an internet search showed up:

FV-SR1.JPG

SU1BRzA5ODYuanBn.jpg

That looks awesome. Im going to call Midway to see when they will have them back in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks awesome. Im going to call Midway to see when they will have them back in stock. </div></div>

Says expected to be in stock 02/2013
Anyone know if its just as easy to sand and repaint a fininshed one (for those who don't want to wait )?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That looks awesome. Im going to call Midway to see when they will have them back in stock. </div></div>

Says expected to be in stock 02/2013
Anyone know if its just as easy to sand and repaint a fininshed one (for those who don't want to wait )? </div></div>

I don't remember where, but I read a post of someone just sanding and refinishing a painted tacticool.