• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

need some advice

crackrabbit

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
new york
Im looking to buy a 22lr that im going to be shooting from 25 yards to 250 yards at my range. I already have a savage 93 in 17 hmr and i really dont like the savage. What else is out there in 22lr that will be accurate and well built? thanks in advance.

Re: need some advice

I got a CZ452 varmint and love it. The trigger was not great from the factory, but I got a YoDave kit and its much better. I might try out a Timney, but for now I am happy.

First thing you will want to do is check with EGW and DIP about 20 & 25 MOA Picatinny Rails for a scope since you plan on going out to 250 yards, and let this be part of your guide of what to buy. Otherwise you could always shim the scope rings, but the rail is so much simpler IMHO.

CZ, Savage MKI or II FV & BV series, Marlin 900 series, Remington 597, and the prices go back up over the CZ listed first, on what else is available.

See if you can find a Savage "Anschutz 141". It's a vintage import from the early 70's. Basically a Anschutz 64 actioned sporter. Nothing like the new Salvages at all.

Here's mine. I paid $425 for it about 3 years ago.

665.jpg

Or get a CZ.

My CZ452 piller bedded in a Boyd's Tacticool will outshoot my Kidd Supergrade if both using bulk ammo. Match ammo favors the Kidd but at a significant increase in price. I would not hesitate to buy another CZ.

The big question is how much do you have to spend. That would narrow down the choices.

i dont mind spending the money if its a good setup and works well. I dont really have a set limit but i dont want to go over the top crazy.

I own and shoot a number of 22 lr rifles. My "go to" gun is my Anschutz 64 MPR. I enjoy shooting the 40XB's, 52 B's and other Anschutz's, but the 64 MPR always consistently shoots better for me than the others. Being a repeater is the main reason, I prefer it over the 40XB's. When Mike at Black Ops gets his 40 XB repeater conversions ready for public consumption, things may change for me, but I don't think so.

The Anschutz trigger is just amazing and takes some getting used to. If you have little patience and look carefully in the right places, you can find a very lightly used 64 MPR on occasion for around $800. Like Joe said be sure to make sure whatever you choose will take a 20 or 25 MOA rail. You will need it for distances beyond 200+-.

Here is my Anschutz 64 MPR as it is rigged now. This rifle is extremely consistent out to 300 yards.

IMG_0924.jpg

Good luck on your search.

AR

Since you have the money and want a truly great shooting rifle i would go custom. Get a stiler action, get a lijia barrel that has a match chamber, throw it in the stock of your choice bedded by someone who knows what they are doing and scope it with the best you can afford.

I guaranty it will be the best, most accurate rifle you have ever shot.......It will also be the fastest $10,000 has ever left your bank account. lmfao But you wanna play....you gotta pay.
smile.gif

thanks for the response guys. I dont want to go custom stiller action i cant see myself spending that kind of money on a 22lr. ill look to see what i can get a 20 moa rail for and choose from there. what do you guys think about a kidd supergrade 10/22?

I have just the factory stock Ruger, but many folks do indeed do the build ups and seem to be quite happy with what they end up with. Good luck on whichever course you choose to take.