• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need some advice

YJSONLY

Private
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2014
North Florida
I have a Savage 112. 223 flat rear. Need a new scope base for my Vortex scope 4-16 Viper HS. Do I need to get 20 Moa? And who would be a decent mount without breaking the bank. This is going to be a training wheel gun.

Last edited:
Doubt you need 20moa base on a 223. How far do you plan on shooting it

I would like to try and tinker with 600 yards on the bench messing around. If I can. At what point do I "have" to have a 20 Moa base for the 223? (I understand all cases are different). But what is the norm....

What is the twist rate on the barrel of your Savage? Is it 1 in 9? If so, the 69 gr match bullet would provide the most accuracy.

From my load tests results on my Savage 116 in .223, 700 to 800 yards would be the most the bullet will go before going subsonic. For that distance, you need about 8 mils or 28.8 MOA of "up" on your scope. So this depends on what scope you have.

If your scope has about 16 mils or 60 MOAs of elevation, you are fine and can get by without a 20 MOA base.

What is the twist rate on the barrel of your Savage? Is it 1 in 9? If so, the 69 gr match bullet would provide the most accuracy.

From my load tests results on my Savage 116 in .223, 700 to 800 yards would be the most the bullet will go before going subsonic. For that distance, you need about 8 mils or 28.8 MOA of "up" on your scope. So this depends on what scope you have.

If your scope has about 16 mils or 60 MOAs of elevation, you are fine and can get by without a 20 MOA base.

Wow thanks. So much useful info here. I believe it is 1in9 twist. I want to use this and to become a better shooter and play with long range. I have a Vortex hst 4-16x44 mrad that has a max of 21 mil adj. (I know this isn't the best scope but a decent starter) I hope at least. Is a scope base a scope base or do I need to find a fancy/expensive one?

Well, I'm personally partial to Murphy Precision bases. I think they are the best and just about perfect.

I don't like EGW nor Warne which was what was on there before; the screws that come with the EGW and Warne are soft and strip easily. Ok if you plan to mount once and Locktite. Not OK if you are rebarreling and trueing and the base needs to come off.