• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need some AR tools

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    When my MWS arrives I plan on swapping out the trigger and changing the SopMod to a PRS. I'll need some punches for the hammer/trigger pins and a wrench for the stock extension.

Any punches better than any other? I was thinking about Delrin punches for their non marring feature but am I better off just buying a set of brass Starrett punches and calling it good.

Any preferences on a multi tool wrench to remove the castle nut?

For the rifle length stock extension, buffer, spring, castle nut I was thinking of just using Colt parts sourced from Brownells. Any thoughts that I may be making a mistake there.

Any other tools a newby should get to do this work?

Thank you.

Re: Need some AR tools

Stick with the delrin to push out the trigger pins and replace them with your fingers (never tap or use a hammer). A spanner wrench is the best tool for the castle nut.

There are a ton of places to get parts so do some searching and price comparing.

ebay has some stuff like mag blocks and vise clamps at decent prices. there are always tools here. there is a guy seling stuff now. i use a wood dowel or a paint brush to push the pins out.

I've used steel punches to drive trigger pins, with a little blue painters tape you dont hurt a thing. I've also never been able to push them in with my fingers, numerous light taps work well. Given the light force you should use delrin should work fine, just dont plan to use it on roll pins.

A good lower action block is recommended.

Then a three pronged spanner is best for the castle. Choose your own favorite maker.

keep an eye out on Palmetto State Armory and Primary Arms websites. They have pretty good weekly deals, where I bought most of my AR tools (multi-wrench, vise block, punches, etc).