• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some GOOD advice

73MCRD

Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2003
Broken Arrow, Ok.
OK curious if there is some one that can give me some starter advice getting back in shape. I am a former Marine and retired Police Officer that stayed fit most of my life until about 18 months ago when I had knee replacement. I am 59 and losing muscle. I have taken core training which is really good but I would like to put some physical physic back on. Also advice for good protein or other supplements to use, I have been out of the loop. Thanks!

Eat food..whey protein when you can't eat enough whole foods, I like Optimum Nutrition because I can't afford Beverly. Gets harder and harder to add muscle as you get older. HRT might be an option

Well, at 59 use it or lose it is a pretty accurate statement. Core and cardio are always critical to a fitness program but if you want to keep your muscle mass you'll have to incorporate weight training. Unfortunately without HGH or steroids it is really difficult to add muscle mass at your age due to your loss of testosterone and HGH (not impossible, but you'll have to train like a body builder.) A good balanced diet is your best bet, overly high protein isn't really necessary as your body is not going to use it to repair/build muscle. That's my GOOD advice..................you'll receive other opinions.

Appreciate the feedback brothers....rw496..Is HRT a supplement or training? Again, been out of the loop way too long.

get active any/all ways you can. core training is great. get lots of cardio in. cycling may be a good thing as it should be good with the knee replacement. the further from a sedentary lifestyle we can get, the better.

eat real food. protein supplements are over hyped and largely not needed. base your diet on foods that are not processed. farmers markets, CSAs and backyard grown food.

+1 on what ChemE said. Resistance training such as weights will help maintain bone and muscle mass. For cardio cycling may be your best especially since you had knee replacement. Studies have shown that protein is important as we age (I am 59) in maintaining muscle mass and stay with a good balanced natural diet. From my perspective, I wouldn't go near HRT because of the potential side effects. I lift 3 to 4 days a week and log 60 to 100 miles per week on a road bike. I love to hunt and want to stay in shape so I can do it as long as I can.

what risks? I was on TRT for a while and to be honest, look forward to getting back on it. Never felt better and know quite a few people who use TRT regularly and will not go back.

Only stopped because I circulate oversea for work. small doses of nandrolone for the joints and test works awesome. just don't over do it.

If you want to gain muscle, work with weights. Cardio is good for some things, but gaining or retaining muscle mass is not one of them (once your quickly adapted to the minimal stress it put on you system).

My advice (worth every penny paid)? Read articles and books by Mark Rippetoe .As a retired Marine and PD Officer I going to guess you'll like his style too, hes a no BS guy. Get under the heavy bar and work a systematic program, keep a workout log, and eat right. As noted, barbell training will strengthen most everything in your body (bones, ligaments, cns....) as well as muscles.

For protein sources, I like Optimum Nutrition. Its cheap enough without being scary. I try to keep my protein intake via non-whole food under 50%. Other supplements? Vit D and fish oil supplements are universally good, and creatine is fine if you're into that kind of thing... most everything else is a total fucking scam. Avoid it.

I'm 61. Cant lift weights Both R. cuffs gone. 2 back surgeries. 2 Quad surgeries. 1 hip. I swing a 16lb. sledge at a stump for 2 minutes..... get my wind, then do it again for 2, so on and so on. I'm up to 15 reps of that. I alternate left to right hand each swing. Works everything I have left to work. Oblique's even scream. This and chopping wood is about all I can do for cardio and strength maintenance. Whatever you do..... do it NOW!! Eat less and better. Pone Pia!! (DRINK WATER).

Supplements are OK, but the best thing you can do for your body is to eat clean. Eat it only if you can #1. Kill it, #2. Fish it, or #3. Dig it out of the ground - if the Good Lord didn't make it, don't eat it.
As far as putting on mass it is going to be tough, but not impossible. Free weights are your best friend, use them and forget machines or anything that assists/compensates for your form. I would suggest starting a light weight/high rep free weight training routine to start. This will accomplish two very important things for you, it will build a solid foundation of strength for your muscles as well as allowing your ligaments/tendons time to adjust/adapt to the additional stress that weight training will cause your body.
Once you have established a routine and have worked it for a while (2-3 months) and if your body is responding well to the training look to advance your routines and/or training style. The most important thing is to take your time, muscle mass will not jump back onto your body right away like it did when you were in your 20's. You have to make sure that your training is going to help you, not hurt you. Feel free to PM me if you need.
*As a disclaimer I did get my B.S. and work in the fitness field for a number of years.

The best thing you can do is find a good PT and trainer that understands your situation. Shop around.

HRT = Hormone Replacement Therapy

You can get your number checked, but know that this has lots of negative side effects. If you are older (natural aging --T starts dropping after 20 something) or are on chronic opioid pain killers for longer than a few months, then you may not be producing much at all.

Make sure to talk to your doc about what you can do and what you can't. He'll probably say go to PT because they can give you really good core training exercises that I'd never heard of before, among other things.

Also, in my mind, I'm still a 24yo. road marching MF, and I've fucked my body up more than once pushing it WAY farther than it can go anymore. I'm dealing with a pressure ulcer I developed on my big toe now, nearly had to amputate it. So take it easy, work your way back up, do it right.

What some of the guys are saying is go to your doctor and get your testosterone level checked. Normal range for a male is usually between 400-900 if your below that then your doctor should prescribe either a cream, or even better weekly test injections. You really want your testosterone level at around the 900 range. This does a man a lot of good. 1. Will help you to keep both muscle and bone mass. 2. Sex drive and great hard-ons, enough said. 3. Low testosterone is as bad for you as too high of test. Low test can cause prostate issues, depression, lethargy, and many other health problems. We have the resources to keep our test levels at the same levels we had when we were in our 20's, why not use it. If your doctor won't help you with this, get a new doctor. Women have all kinds of hormone therapies evadable to them, why shouldn't men. I'm 46 and in the best shape of my life. I keep my test levels on the high side and feel great. I work out 4 or 5 days a week, 1/2 hour weights and 1/2 hour cardio on a stationary bike. I'm not some insane gym whore, I am in and out. I'm 5'10 195lbs and solid as a rock. Go to your doctor, get your test checked, I bet your numbers are low. Join gym and start slow and sensible. Get on a good 1600 to 1800 calorie a day diet of good healthy whole foods, that means don't shop in the center isle of the store, shop around the edges. Good lean meats, chicken, fish, steak, quality fresh vegetables, not canned, or frozen, keep fruits to a minimum lots of sugar there that will spike insulin levels and make you retain fat. Eat three meals a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with two snacks in between. Main meals should be 400 calories apiece, and snack should be 200 calories each. No carbs at all at night, strictly meats and veggies. Consume most of your carbs at breakfast and lunch. My snacks are usually two boiled eggs, and a little cup of almonds and craisins, or 1/2 an apple and a little cup of all natural peanut butter to dip the apple in. Their are protein bars that you eat for snack, make sure they are 200 calories or less. Also check out Myfitfoods.com they prepare meals in advance for you and that will help you learn portion control. Most of overeat tremendously. Good luck.

See if you can find an anti-aging Doctor near you, they will be a big help on getting the muscle back. I was on Androgel at one time and it was working but my good T's did increase and but the bad DHT levels climbed and my Estrogen climbed also. I was having problems trying to stop the the DHT and Estrogen levels from climbing. The doctor was doing blood work every 3 months.
Muscle Atrophy: Causes, Symptoms & Diagnosis

Last edited:
Take up bowhunting, gives you a reason to get out in the woods and learn to stalk instead of sitting in a stand,
there's lot of small game out there.
Before you know it, you be a lean mean arrow machine.

What some of the guys are saying is go to your doctor and get your testosterone level checked. Normal range for a male is usually between 400-900 if your below that then your doctor should prescribe either a cream, or even better weekly test injections. You really want your testosterone level at around the 900 range. This does a man a lot of good. 1. Will help you to keep both muscle and bone mass. 2. Sex drive and great hard-ons, enough said. 3. Low testosterone is as bad for you as too high of test. Low test can cause prostate issues, depression, lethargy, and many other health problems. We have the resources to keep our test levels at the same levels we had when we were in our 20's, why not use it. If your doctor won't help you with this, get a new doctor. Women have all kinds of hormone therapies evadable to them, why shouldn't men. I'm 46 and in the best shape of my life. I keep my test levels on the high side and feel great. I work out 4 or 5 days a week, 1/2 hour weights and 1/2 hour cardio on a stationary bike. I'm not some insane gym whore, I am in and out. I'm 5'10 195lbs and solid as a rock. Go to your doctor, get your test checked, I bet your numbers are low. Join gym and start slow and sensible. Get on a good 1600 to 1800 calorie a day diet of good healthy whole foods, that means don't shop in the center isle of the store, shop around the edges. Good lean meats, chicken, fish, steak, quality fresh vegetables, not canned, or frozen, keep fruits to a minimum lots of sugar there that will spike insulin levels and make you retain fat. Eat three meals a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with two snacks in between. Main meals should be 400 calories apiece, and snack should be 200 calories each. No carbs at all at night, strictly meats and veggies. Consume most of your carbs at breakfast and lunch. My snacks are usually two boiled eggs, and a little cup of almonds and craisins, or 1/2 an apple and a little cup of all natural peanut butter to dip the apple in. Their are protein bars that you eat for snack, make sure they are 200 calories or less. Also check out Myfitfoods.com they prepare meals in advance for you and that will help you learn portion control. Most of overeat tremendously. Good luck.
How are you controlling the bad T's (DHT) and the Estrogen levels from increasing?

I'm not Estrogen sensitive. I know some guys get sore nipples or can develop gynomastia, I've never had a problem with it. I would get some adex, or your doctor should be able to prescribe something for you. Are you experiencing this type of soreness or hair loss? I'm going to send you a P.M.

Get your Testosterone levels checked. TRT is NOT bad when proscribed by a Dr and not abused.

Other then that, eat clean and follow a plan.