• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help getting started...

vader

Private
Minuteman
I have been getting more and more interested in adding a new rifle to the stable. I have been becoming more and more intrigued at the idea of a 7 SAUM. I'd prefer to use a Savage action, but it isn't a requirement. It also seems like a long action is the way to go to aid in seating the longer bullets like the 180 grain Bergers. I am not sure on the usability of WSM bolt heads and magazines, although the dimensions look like they should be close enough to not matter. What I'm looking for in a setup is really just limited to caliber and using detachable box magazines if possible. Any guidance on this potential build? It would be geared more toward tactical competitions but also may have the possibility of some hunting out of state.

Re: Need some help getting started...

You'll need to load the Bergers longer than magazine length if you want the best performance from that bullet.

I know of several guys who run the WSM/SAUM chamberings in a long action and feed from a DBM. I don't think you'll have a problem as long as you use a smith who knows what he's doing.

It looks like I could get a good start getting something along the lines of a .300 Win mag for a base, as it appears that the 7SAUM can use those magazines. So maybe a 111 with CDI bottom metal might be a good place to start.