• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some help with my savage

millerlite

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2009
ft lewis, wa
I have a Savage 10fp. The problem that I "think" I have is with the bolt after the shot. The only way I know how to describe it would be to say that the after you fire and cycle to action, the action is so "heavy" that it can hold the weight of the rifle in mid air. Is it supposed to be that hard cycle the action after the shot? Is there any way to fix this? Any help would be greatly appreicated. Thank You

Re: Need some help with my savage

The bolt lift on my 10FCP-K was heavy but not that heavy, get it looked at by a competent gunsmith.

Is it a new rifle? What caliber? What ammo? Does it do it with any ammo? Sounds to me like just a new gun/action that needs some breaking in, or the loads are too hot and need to be tamed down a bit.

It does it with and without ammo. I have about 500 rounds through it. Most was win 147gr and I loaded 100 of 168 gr Speer BTHP. When I did the reloads I did it to specs in the book, no hot loads. At first I thought I had the action screws to tight but that didnt fix the problem. The cal is .308. I don't understand it and its driving me crazy.

did it do that from the start? is it new? are you the first owner? i would call savage 413-568-7001. i would make sure to tell them its been stiff from the start and its with and without ammo. when you mention handloads its gonna get tricky i would think due to the warrany clause most makers have. im not saying lie to them, but if it has been this way from the start, there is something in the bolt thats not right obviously. i mean mine is tight, but nothing like you describe. sounds like headspace issues maybe? start with savage, keep us posted. i can post an exploded diagram of the bolt if you want to take it apart and look it over.

i am the first owner and it has been doing it since i owned the rifle. in the beginning, i thought it would "loosen" with the amount of dry firing and 500 rounds. But now im starting to think that maybe the spring inside the trigger is to tight or something, i dont know. i figured that i would post on here to see if anyone else has the same problem that i am having. thanks for the phone number. i will call on monday since i gotta work through the weekend. i will tell them that i have used reloads. Even if they wont fix it due to that, hopefully they might be able to tell me whats wrong and i will just buy a new piece. the exploded view would be awesome. thanks for the help. i will keep u posted

well, i am the first to say i am no expert. but i rebarreled mine. to me, from what i have experienced in setting my headspace, it sounds like yours might be too tight. if you have a savage familiar smith, i would seek him out. if not, try this.$28 for a wheeler barrel nut wrench. $9 for barrel blocks from SSS. and $20ish for a headspace gauge. thats what? $57? plus some shipping? and then you can fix it yourself. it may be something else, but i would bet headspace being too tight. you can take the bolt apart. the spring could be out of spec. are the primers getting abused? if its the spring, wouldnt the firing pin be launched harder? im only asking, just thinking this thru, seeing if others might have ideas. come to kansas and ill do it for ya.

Call Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Gun Stocks. He is the Savage guru, and makes a lift kit for a Savage bolt that is supposed to solve that problem.
Contact number is (308) 432-5114

Fred Moreno of Sharp Shooters Supply can fix the heavy bolt issue if you send it to him to be timed and trued ($125.00) He does not use a bolt lift kit, but instead works on the bolt assembly to achieve the same results and they are permanent. The wait time can be excessive, but the best gunsmiths are always backed up.

Call Kevin Rayhill! The man is a God with the Savage rifles and works fast and is very reasonable.

The action on my Savage 10 gets difficult to work if I don't oil part of the bolt for a long time.

I don't know what it's called, but here's how to get to it:

1. Open the bolt.
2. Back by the handle on the bolt, but towards the front of the rifle an inch or so, is a little black button that sticks out.

That's connected to some business that moves inside the bolt when the action's worked, and applying a little oil to that grove makes mine much smoother.

Maybe they shipped it dry.

Good luck,
Bob

+ 1 on fred at SSS. My 10 fcp was exactly the same-- made it very difficult to run the rifle, especially from prone.

Had the action timed etc and it was fixed.

ok...

well i just got back from a local gun shop. i looked at a savage 10fp that they had. i worked the bolt and it was nothing like mine(much much smoother). Before i left i oiled that black button on the bolt and it didnt help at all. i took the bolt outa my rifle and push the button foward. tryin to put it back was almost impossible. while i was at the gun shop i told the guy behind the counter about my problem and he let me take the bolt out of his rifle. i pushed it foward and put it back to the cocked position with little effort. i think i may need a new bolt. Thank you for all of the replies and all of the help. before i do spend any money on what i "think" i need i will give these guys a call and see what they say. the only question i have is what is timed and trued mean?

Go with Kevin...he will take care of you. If you go with SSS aka Fred...it will take you forever to get your rifle back.

Kevin's turn around time is much better and you can actually reach him. Try getting in touch with Fred.