• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need some hunting ammo opinions

tloggins

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2010
WPAFB, OH
Hey guys I just ordered a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 and I was wondering what would be a good ammo for hunting with this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Need some hunting ammo opinions

Are you looking for factory ammo or do you handload? What will you be hunting and at what ranges?

Looking for factory ammo. I will be hunting antelope and whitetail in wyoming. Ranges will probably be out to about 300 yards maybe 350.

I recently bought a Compact Tactical out of the classifieds here. It's the one with the 20" barrel. I've gotten excellent accuracy out of it, with reloads of Varget and the 165gr BT. I took two whitetails this month with this load, longest at 270 yds. Nosler makes a factory load using this bullet, as well as with the 165 Accubond. Might be a good place to start.....

The Kaiser

Just bought some Barnes Vortex rounds. Pretty good stuff, groups well, and has the TTSX boolet on top. Out of two rifles, it was the same as 175 SMK for elevation dope. 168 and 150 grain load are available.

Mikee

There are alot of bullets that will get the job done. That said, it would help to know where you will be hunting. The size of the deer makes a difference. If your hunting deer that is 100 lbs or less, just about anything in 150grain will work. If your going where the deer will be up to and above the 200 lbs mark I would get something in a heavier grain. I would also suggest something along the lines of a nosler or triple shock for the heavier deer also. If you have a chance to shoot hogs along with deer I would just go ahead and use the nosler or equivalent type bullet as they are a little tuffer than whitetails. Of course that is just my opinion and I'm sure there are alot of people that will have different opinions.

Buy some Factory Lapua loaded with 155gr scenar's.....I've been told they work well.....grin!

thanks for the suggestions guys. ill probably buy a box of each and test them out at the range to see which i like the best. ill be hunting in wyoming. not sure exactly how big they will be as this is gunna be my first time going up there for a hunt. wont be shooting hogs any time soon but i have a 308 lever that i have used for hogs here in cali. i have about 1000 rounds that my grandpa has handloaded for me for that rifle. not sure the exact specs on the reloads but ill be bringin some of those for testing also. again thanks for the help guys. as soon as i pick up the gun and test it out ill post up some results pics to compare.