• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Need some new glass. Leupold? Nightforce?

deadmanmike

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
Hey guys,

I've been a member here lurking for some time now, just never really posted.

I'm looking to replace the Zeiss (4.5-14x44 MC with the Z-Plex reticle and hunting turrets) that I have on my current 700. I've been looking at both Nightforce (3.5-15x50 MLR or 3.5-15x50 F1 MLR2) and Leupold (Mark 4 ER/T with the TMR reticle) as suitable replacements. Right now, I'm limited to 1-300 yards, though I'll hopefully have some much longer ranges in the near future.

What would you guys choose out of the 3 scopes mentioned? I'm not looking to break the bank on the scope purchase so $1400-1700 is my ballpark budget. I'm thinking FFP would be nice to have, but not essential since I'm not ranging anything at this time. I know NF is kind of difficult to get at a lower price since they enforce their MAP pricing.

Any help is appreciated

Re: Need some new glass. Leupold? Nightforce?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadmanmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What would you guys choose out of the 3 scopes mentioned? I'm not looking to break the bank on the scope purchase so $1400-1700 is my ballpark budget. I'm thinking FFP would be nice to have, but not essential <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">since I'm not ranging anything at this time</span></span>. I know NF is kind of difficult to get at a lower price since they enforce their MAP pricing.</div></div>

Regarding the highlight above ... everybody I know who ever skimmed on options because they aren't using it right now ended up regretting it when they decided they wanted to start learning/trying. Better to have-and-not need then the reverse.

Assuming $1400-1700 means you really dont want to exceed $1550 ... NF 3-15 MLR mil/mil ZS/HS will fit your bill. I would also pick this because if you decide to upgrade later, you will get all your $ back if you buy used.

My roommate has a Leupold Mk4 TMR and it's a disappointing scope. The lack of crosshair is a love/hate thing. Within the same price range for a used unit, do some research on SWFA SS and Vortex Razor HD.

lots a good stuff for sale in the optics section

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadmanmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What would you guys choose out of the 3 scopes mentioned? I'm not looking to break the bank on the scope purchase so $1400-1700 is my ballpark budget. I'm thinking FFP would be nice to have, but not essential <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">since I'm not ranging anything at this time</span></span>. I know NF is kind of difficult to get at a lower price since they enforce their MAP pricing.</div></div>

Regarding the highlight above ... everybody I know who ever skimmed on options because they aren't using it right now ended up regretting it when they decided they wanted to start learning/trying. Better to have-and-not need then the reverse.

Assuming $1400-1700 means you really dont want to exceed $1550 ... NF 3-15 MLR mil/mil ZS/HS will fit your bill. I would also pick this because if you decide to upgrade later, you will get all your $ back if you buy used.

My roommate has a Leupold Mk4 TMR and it's a disappointing scope. The lack of crosshair is a love/hate thing. Within the same price range for a used unit, do some research on SWFA SS and Vortex Razor HD. </div></div>

Any idea on where to find the NXS 3.5-15x50 MLR with ZS/HS? I've been looking for used, but new isn't out of the question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadmanmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Any idea on where to find the NXS 3.5-15x50 MLR with ZS/HS? I've been looking for used, but new isn't out of the question </div></div>

The classified section of this forum...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadmanmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What would you guys choose out of the 3 scopes mentioned? I'm not looking to break the bank on the scope purchase so $1400-1700 is my ballpark budget. I'm thinking FFP would be nice to have, but not essential <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">since I'm not ranging anything at this time</span></span>. I know NF is kind of difficult to get at a lower price since they enforce their MAP pricing.</div></div>

My roommate has a Leupold Mk4 TMR and it's a disappointing scope. <span style="color: #FF0000">The lack of crosshair is a love/hate thing.</span> Within the same price range for a used unit, do some research on SWFA SS and Vortex Razor HD. </div></div>

Could you please explain what you meant above (highlighted area). I just purchased Leupold Mk4 ERT with that reticle. And it DOES have a crosshair. I am confused with your statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: effinnewguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My roommate has a Leupold Mk4 TMR and it's a disappointing scope. <span style="color: #FF0000">The lack of crosshair is a love/hate thing.</span> Within the same price range for a used unit, do some research on SWFA SS and Vortex Razor HD. </div></div>

Could you please explain what you meant above (highlighted area). I just purchased Leupold Mk4 ERT with that reticle. And it DOES have a crosshair. I am confused with your statement. </div></div>

Unless Leupold changed the TMR reticle, I used 'lack of crosshair' to mean the very center of the reticle is open vs. having an intersecting point. Like I mentioned, everybody I know who has used the TMR either loves or hates it.

67950-3.jpg

I think you could go either way - in my opinion, this is more of a 'Chevy vs Ford' kind of discussion (except that clearly Chevy is far superior to Ford in every conceivable way).

I have three MK4s - one standard Mil Dot, one TMR, and one Horus H58 - they're all fantastic scopes in my opinion. Betweeen the Mil Dot and the TMR, I would choose the TMR, but I like the open subtension in the center of the crosshairs and the lines for ranging as opposed to dots. The Horus is going on a semi-auto where I think it'll be greatly appreciated.

On the other hand, I'm looking at a Nightforce for the next bolt gun so...

Look into Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50 or SWFA SS 5-20x50. Both are FFP,in your price range and very close to NF quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look into Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50 or SWFA SS 5-20x50. Both are FFP,in your price range and very close to NF quality.

</div></div>

Did you just put bushnell on the same level as nightforce?!!

USO gets my vote. Great company, american made and 100% taylored to what you want. They can be alittle bit more but they do pop up every once in a while in your price range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grizzdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look into Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50 or SWFA SS 5-20x50. Both are FFP,in your price range and very close to NF quality.

</div></div>

Did you just put bushnell on the same level as nightforce?!! </div></div>

I think a lot of shooters will put the HDMR as good or better than NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grizzdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look into Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50 or SWFA SS 5-20x50. Both are FFP,in your price range and very close to NF quality.

</div></div>

Did you just put bushnell on the same level as nightforce?!! </div></div>

I think a lot of shooters will put the HDMR as good or better than NF. </div></div>

I've owned 4 NF's (still have 2) and I own 3 HDMR's.

There are positives and negatives to each but yes, I will say that The HDMR's have a very good quality to them right up there with NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tkellogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USO gets my vote. Great company, american made and 100% taylored to what you want. They can be alittle bit more but they do pop up every once in a while in your price range.</div></div>

USO is definitely a great optic, but the OP did say he was looking for something in the 1400-1700 and USO can get a bit more expensive

Save some cash and get ahold of Scott at Liberty Optics. He has the best prices. I am a big fan of my new IOR and compared to the NXS I think the glass is better with all the same options for less. All in what you want to do with it. The NF is a great piece of glass hands down. Rugged and dependable. The IOR is a little more bulky but you can get Mrads on most of the 35mm tubes and they are built like tanks.
If you have $$ to buy a US Optic they are amazing.
Either way www.libertyoptic.com
Scott is also here on snipershide.

I am an engineer, and I have come to expect information to be presented in a way that helps find things and made decisions.

Leupold and Nightforce web sites are so insulting to one's intelligence, they hurt my feelings. They are scatter brained AND incomplete. If you are looking for a variable power scope to 10X, with MOA turrets, MOA reticule, and second focal plane, it will take 1/2 hour to find out they don't have it? No, you can't find that out from the web site.

USO, OTOH, has an organized AND more complete web site.