• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some Shoulder advice

Lostin89

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2020
Blythewood, SC
Looking story short I'm on my second shoulder surgery...6 weeks out this week.

I find myself in quite a pickle as I am light years behind where I was last year post shoulder surgery (May).

I'm having issues identifying comfortable range of motion exercises to focus on trap, upper back...and would like to pick everyone's brain.

ROM at this point is 90 degrees and below. I can do shrugs, and low rows without an issue...but face pulls are completely off the table.

Any ideas?

Since you mentioned you’re able to do low rows maybe try doing inverted body rows on a Smith Machine adjusting the bar height for more or less difficulty. For the longest time I was coming in and out of shoulder and elbow issues. Never a post surgery thing though. Low stress on the joints and no rotary motions. Nails the core and the lower back abs too.

hope you feel better soon . you could try bench rest shooting with free recoil It may feel like cheating but its still kind of fun .no shoulder needed just two fingers

Last edited:
Rotator cuff?

Labrum, bicep tendon, and cromium decompression (bone spurs cut away)

Inverted body rows is a great idea. When I head to the gym Wednesday (I'm on a 1 on/1 off schedule right now) I'll giver it a shot. My brother tried to get me to do shrugs laying facedown at a 45 degree offset but the moment my shoulder opened up it was game over.

Shoulder harnesses are a no go only bc they cut so much on my bone any direct pressure is miserable still.

Have they come up with a new surgery procedure that cuts down on recovery time for shoulders? Seems like everyone is still in the 6 month range & hurts like hell.

Have they come up with a new surgery procedure that cuts down on recovery time for shoulders? Seems like everyone is still in the 6 month range & hurts like hell.

I don't think so, but you be honest my right shoulder was done last May and by week six I was doing dips. I still have some uncomfortable motions and spots, but from what my friends have told who had similiar work...it's about a year to total comfort.

@Csbarr

I had labrum surgery on 11.21.19 and can now do sets of pull ups, light deadlifts, light bench, etc.

I was in a sling for about a month. For the time I was in a sling, I just did my normal workouts one handed, squats, DB bench/row, assisted pull ups, etc. until I could take the sling off and barely use my left arm. Through hitting therapy very hard and in the gym, I am now cleared back to duty (LE). The above advise of the inverted row is solid, and should work for your positioning. I’ll add that using gymnastic rings may be better for you as it allows you to “free float”. Again, I did these one handed for a bit while my left arm was useless.

Basically what I’m saying is continue to workout and go as hard as your one good arm will take you. Remember you can still do a ton of lower body lifts, just learn how to balance the bar on your back. I squatted one-handed for a while and am now able to put three fingers of my affected side on the bar.

Be patient and work extremely hard. Most importantly, work extremely smart. Listen to your doctor, therapist, and your body. It’s ok to push the envelope a bit as long as you are smart about it.

Feel free to PM me if you need any further ideas from someone who has had very recent surgery and is now arguably in better shape than pre-surgery.

Good luck with recovery!

@PBWalsh

I appreciate the insight and advice. I think what I'm struggling with the most is how far behind I feel like I am from last year. Granted I had more done, but it doesn't change the mental block I've given myself. Couple that with competitive power lifting and my physical limitations causes some anger.

I've tried lat pulls, had to force my arm up, and the pain was enough I had to walk away.

I've enjoyed hitting legs, it's kept my mind off a lot of left arm struggles. The "work smart" part is what I'm struggling with at the moment but gearing down has actually done my body a lot of good.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

Reactions: PBWalsh
I don't think so, but you be honest my right shoulder was done last May and by week six I was doing dips. I still have some uncomfortable motions and spots, but from what my friends have told who had similiar work...it's about a year to total comfort.
I had same surgery. Took me over a year to where I had full range of motion and could start moving serious weight again. Involving the bicep tendon is also a big deal. Where my labrum was torn, surgeon detached the bicep tendon and reattached with a screw. That tendon needs time to grow back into the bone.

I had same surgery. Took me over a year to where I had full range of motion and could start moving serious weight again. Involving the bicep tendon is also a big deal. Where my labrum was torn, surgeon detached the bicep tendon and reattached with a screw. That tendon needs time to grow back into the bone.

Glad to hear you got all ROM and lifting abilities back though.

The blatant difference in pain, ROM, and swelling has been the most interesting part for me so far. Night and day difference from just having the labrum (3 anchors) in my right shoulder done.

They told me minimum of 3 months before everything has "stitched" itself back.

Yeah my anchor healing rate is what really keeps me from doing heavy deadlifts right now. ROM is about 140* total. So not quite to 180*, but closing in.

I have an expected 2-3 more months of lighter weight deads.

What does your PT doc say?

Not to touch anything with weights attached unless it's lower body/legs.

This is unfortunately my first time with this PT....I have the same PT for 2 years and 4 surgeries but he left for a better paying gig in Atlanta....this therapist is a lot more conservative.

On a side note, I started doing light flys and it has done wonders for my shoulder. As of today I can darn near get my arm straight up which is a HUGE improvement

Reactions: PBWalsh
Was anything reattached? And do you have full ROM?

I have 10 weeks out of having my shoulder cleaned out and full ROM is the key before starting to do any major strengthening.

If ROM is the issues, I got some advice on how to get it you are interested as it can be a MFer to get it all back.

Was anything reattached? And do you have full ROM?

I have 10 weeks out of having my shoulder cleaned out and full ROM is the key before starting to do any major strengthening.

If ROM is the issues, I got some advice on how to get it you are interested as it can be a MFer to get it all back.

Labrum repaired, bicep tendon repaired and subacromial decompression.

So far im actually looking pretty good. Nearly full ROM, can do dips, one at a time, few minute breaks, 5 sets a day. Did flat bench for the first time, felt like a straight bomb went off. Finally got warmed up, stopped at 225 for a 5x10. Felt amazing after.

I think the worst is behind me, wife keeps getting on me bc i think im behind....according to her this is nearly identical to my shoulder surgery last year.

Labrum repaired, bicep tendon repaired and subacromial decompression.

So far im actually looking pretty good. Nearly full ROM, can do dips, one at a time, few minute breaks, 5 sets a day. Did flat bench for the first time, felt like a straight bomb went off. Finally got warmed up, stopped at 225 for a 5x10. Felt amazing after.

I think the worst is behind me, wife keeps getting on me bc i think im behind....according to her this is nearly identical to my shoulder surgery last year.

I joined a Gold's gym because they have a Hamer Strength machine that is a seated incline. It might be the best piece of equipment I have found for shoulder rehab. Helps control the movement pathway. I found when training shoulders if you look at it in a hierarchy training back to front with the rear delts then lateral delts you usually can create some bulletproof shoulders. For the chest two planes of movement, pressing and flies. And lots of push ups.

Sounds like you are on the right path. Just have to look out for shock loading as static loads dont seem to break things the same way.

Try looking up some labrum rehab exercises on youtube, some awesome stuff there.