• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Need some suggestions - AREA 419 Sidewinder stuck

Estes640

Sergeant of the Hide
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Bellevue, KY
I picked this brake up on a rifle off of here. Unbeknownst to me, the brake is locked onto the adapter.

move tried strap wrench, on blaster, etc. any other suggestions? It looks like it’s almost free. Maybe soak in CLR to see if it’s carbon gumming it up?

I can’t move the locking collar either way. When I first got it, no threads on the adapter were showing, so I’ve moved it some. Threads don’t appear to be galled/crossthreaded

Attachments

• D0E3B332-2868-43BC-8099-8AB671EA39BA.jpeg
    D0E3B332-2868-43BC-8099-8AB671EA39BA.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 28191A1C-BA4F-4D90-9C9D-92A6480B5FAD.jpeg
    28191A1C-BA4F-4D90-9C9D-92A6480B5FAD.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 93314691-D43F-4F7C-ADC5-E344817115A2.jpeg
    93314691-D43F-4F7C-ADC5-E344817115A2.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 134
Screwing the knurled portion clockwise frees it. Therefore if you screw the whole mess
Onto a muzzle, it should come right off, because you’ll be simultaneously tightening the universal adapter onto the muzzle thread, and forcing the brake off the adapter.
I agree, but no such luck here. I was cranking on it both with strap wrench, vice grips, screw driver I stick in the port.

Any time my hellfire got stuck I gave it a whack with a mallet and it freed up. It’s the carbon that makes it stick
Me too with any stuck thread.

I’d stand it on a 2x4 and smack it with a 2x4 moderately hard. A little shock might set it free. If not boil it for a bit in case it’s rocksetted

Is the knurled ring free? I mean can you turn it counter clockwise like you would when installing it? That brake looks near new, hard to believe its carboned on there.
I agree, but no such luck here. I was cranking on it both with strap wrench, vice grips, screw driver I stick in the port.

No CLR. Per 419 it will turn your brake pink.
I picked this brake up on a rifle off of here. Unbeknownst to me, the brake is locked onto the adapter.

move tried strap wrench, on blaster, etc. any other suggestions? It looks like it’s almost free. Maybe soak in CLR to see if it’s carbon gumming it up?

I can’t move the locking collar either way. When I first got it, no threads on the adapter were showing, so I’ve moved it some. Threads don’t appear to be galled/crossthreaded

Reactions: Estes640
In my experience (and that of those in my shooting circle), these A419 brakes are pretty prone to this problem.

My guess is the threads are pretty fine with little clearance, and as such don't tolerate debris such as carbon well.

Is the knurled ring free? I mean can you turn it counter clockwise like you would when installing it? That brake looks near new, hard to believe its carboned on there.
Knurling ring won’t move either direction

may have to try boiling.

T
In my experience (and that of those in my shooting circle), these A419 brakes are pretty prone to this problem.

My guess is the threads are pretty fine with little clearance, and as such don't tolerate debris such as carbon well.
Due to the tapers, carbon cannot reach the threads. Only thread on the brake are exposed in the OP’s pic. Note how clean they are.

Knurling ring won’t move either direction

may have to try boiling.
Something is way wrong. Id send it to 419. This is not a carbon issue. That knurled ring is only retained by a spring clip to the brake. The clip is the only thing i can imagine that is stopping it. Its out of it’s groove which bound the ring. Here’s a sidewinder.
1849AD32-6439-4C01-B27E-5A758A42BC7A.jpeg

At any point was the knurled ring free? If it was, and the brake was stuck on the taper due to locktiite, you putting a strap wrench on it may have caused the snap ring to fail. It was takingm all the thrust load.

Reactions: nikonNUT
That’s honestly what I figured my next option was. I appreciate all the responses. I’m going to reach out tomorrow and see what they say

I had the same problem and A419 told me to whack it with a piece of 2x4. That worked.

Wonder if someone rocksetted the knurled ring

I’d be surprised as I was able to move it a couple rotations before it completely locked up on me.

I tried the 2x4 method last night and gave it a couple good whacks, no luck there either. Figure I’ll reach out to the crew at area 419 and see what they say

Reactions: Stoweit
I would send it to Area 419, they will take care of you and get it back to you quickly. Those guys are great.

You do know that it has reversed threads? So turn right to loosen and left to tighten.

• Wow
Reactions: candyx

Looking at the 2nd and 3rd pic, I'm guessing the lock ring is cross threaded onto the adapter. There are 3-4 threads showing. I have two and can barely see 1 thread on mine when they are tight. Instead of beating the crap out of it, I would send it to Area 419 and have them look at it. Hopefully the brake hasn't been damaged and you only have to replace the adapter. OR, you can send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly for you. ;)

Looking at the 2nd and 3rd pic, I'm guessing the lock ring is cross threaded onto the adapter. There are 3-4 threads showing. I have two and can barely see 1 thread on mine when they are tight. Instead of beating the crap out of it, I would send it to Area 419 and have them look at it. Hopefully the brake hasn't been damaged and you only have to replace the adapter. OR, you can send it to me and I'll dispose of it properly for you. ;)
I’m fairly sure that he said that he got it moving just a bit and then no further and that’s why threads are showing.

That’s as far off as he could get it.

Reactions: Estes640
Baron is correct. I don’t believe it’s cross threaded and nor does area 419. I’m sending it to them and they are going to take care of it. Thanks for all the suggestions. It atleast allowed me to take to them everything I’ve tried with no resolution.

Ryan

Have. You tried heading out up with a small torch?

Had the same issue with a PX buy Sidewinder. Area419 gave me guidance, with my gorilla hands it finally popped free. Hope you get it worked out.

Sent the brake off to area 419 about a week and a half ago and a new brake was at my door today. Apparently it wasn’t only me that couldnt get it undone. I’m going to reach out to see if I can get a root cause from them but I’m atleast glad it wasn’t easy for them to get off.

Either way, hats off to Area 419 for just straight up replacing it! Awesome company to work with.

Last edited:
Sent the brake off to area 419 about a week and a half ago and a new brake was at my door today. Apparently it wasn’t only me that couldnt get it undone. I’m going to reach out to see if I can get a root cause from them but I’m atleast glad it wasn’t easy for them to get off.

Either way, hats off to Area 419 for just straight up replacing it! Awesome company to work with.
I dont know how often you clean, but take the brake off now and again. Clean the tapers, dry them completely, and reinstall. You should have no issues with sticking. No tools needed either.