• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need some suggestions

WannabeWoodsman

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2022
United States, Iowa
I'm wanting to start hunting and using a bolt action for my first season for the upcoming fall. Gives me plenty of time to get comfortable with shooting through a scope and getting to know my rifle well.

Living in the Midwest I'm partially limited to straight walls. Apparently, Iowa is no longer limited by these constraints (according to the DNR website) but I can't find any further information on legal calibers that aren't SWCs so that's what I'm sticking with.

Regardless, bolt actions are a whole new world for me and I'm kinda looking for suggestions from you more experienced folk.

The first one on my list is the Ruger Ranch. I like the look of it, the overall size, the price and know in my local area it comes in 450 bushmaster and .350 legend which I've read are two great calibers. (shot placement of course being key and doesn't need mentioning)

Another is the TC Compass. As I understand it TC has really pulled all the stops out with this rifle and it's priced very well.

The last of the ones I've looked at (online only unfortunately) is the Mossberg Patriot.

Any other suggestions? Words of caution? Other caliber suggestions and accompanied rifles to go with it?

Looking forward to the comments in this post.

What’s your budget??? In states requiring straight walled cases I opt for my smokeless powder muzzle loader pushing 330s at 3200fps

Reactions: Dawhit
Since you are new to bolt guns and shooting with a scope I would get the lightest cartridge you can stand. 223 Rem, .243 Win, 22-250 etc. They will kill deer just fine. Ruger Americans are not too shabby for the price.

Reactions: WannabeWoodsman
What’s your budget??? In states requiring straight walled cases I opt for my smokeless powder muzzle loader pushing 330s at 3200fps
I'd like to keep it at $700 or under. I'm building a KY pattern long rifle for muzzleloader season. The bolt action is me learning an entirely different weapon system and style of shooting.

Last edited:
Since you are new to bolt guns and shooting with a scope I would get the lightest cartridge you can stand. 223 Rem, .243 Win, 22-250 etc. They will kill deer just fine. Ruger Americans are not too shabby for the price.
Im not sure I can hunt deer with .223/5.56 in my area. I know the law changed last year but I can't find any details on what's legal beyond straight wall.
They did mention a .224 for antlerless season if I remember correctly but I may be mistaken.

Here what I found on my DNR website:
Screenshot_20220126-113815-102.png

Stay away from the Mossberg. I had one, shot like shit. Sent it back and they replaced the barrel and the stock and said nothing was wrong with it. Still shot like shit. Mossberg is a shotgun company, let them stick to that. No experiencee with the TCs except to know there are enough budget rifles that have proven to be performers at their price point. I'd go with a Ruger or a Savage. I've been happy with every Ruger Predator I've owned and my nephew shoots the Savage with great results in 350 legend.

Stay away from the Mossberg. I had one, shot like shit. Sent it back and they replaced the barrel and the stock and said nothing was wrong with it. Still shot like shit. Mossberg is a shotgun company, let them stick to that. No experiencee with the TCs except to know there are enough budget rifles that have proven to be performers at their price point. I'd go with a Ruger or a Savage. I've been happy with every Ruger Predator I've owned and my nephew shoots the Savage with great results in 350 legend.
What is your opinion, if any, on the Ruger American Ranch?

I haven't owned one, but have seen good things from them. Ruger is putting out some quality stuff at a good price point. I actually want one but can't come up with a good reason to get it.

My son has a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 creed. The factory mag fed like crap, but it shot the 129gr American Whitetail ammo into 1/2" at 100 yards. We put it in a MagPul hunter when they came out and it shoots lights out for what it is. I ran some 130 gr hand loads through it and it was spot on out to 535 yards on steel.

A friend has the TC in a Boyds AT1 and it shoots everything he puts in it.

1st post BTW, been searching information about Mossberg Patriot in 308 and came across this site. I made the mistake on not really researching bolt guns before purchasing 2 weeks ago and now learning all the issues this platform has. I shoulda splurged and got the Ruger or saved a little longer for a Tikka or Bergera.
Outdoor ranged last Saturday 08/27 and things went ok with decent groups at 50 yards with 3-9 Dead Ringer scope however when moved to 100 yards I had a difficult time cause I guess I am too used to my AR-10 with a 5-20-50 Trijicon. So I was done for the day and made a stop into Sportsman Warehouse Sunday and purchased a 6-24-50 Vortex Crossfire ii for this coming weekend trigger therapy session. Also ordered some epoxy for bedding and checked the action screws to find the rear took 3/4 or a turn to get to 30 inch pounds.
So as a newbie bolt owner I do feel confident I can take a whitetail within 100 yards here in Michigan with current rifle but I still feel I can improve on the platform at the range and hopefully help add information to the next schmuck! Lol

I happen to have a ruger American ranch in 350 legend. Shoots plenty accurate for 150 yd and in deer hunting. Been a good rifle for the price. One note, Make sure you locktite the rail that comes on it. It will loosen if you don't