• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need some Suppressor information

saleen308

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2009
Katy, TX
I shot a rifle to day that had a suppressor on it and I want one in a bad way now. For my county I'll have to go the LLC route for the tax stamp.

My questions are:

How should I thread my barrel to accept it. Rifle is a heavy barrel Howa .308.

What have been popular suppressors for my set up?

Any thing else I should consider?

Re: Need some Suppressor information

What part of Katy do you live in? The Harris or Ft Bend county? Ft Bend will sign off on suppressors, SBRs and machine guns.

First do a trust.... Thread barrel 5/8x24. Take a hard look at a Advanced Armament cyclone. Look at other companies, do your home work look for types of materials, weight, lenght, mounting options and of course price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: silentrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Look at other companies, do your home work </div></div>
the best thing you can do is shoot em... if you are lucky and can find someone who has some suppressors by manufacturers you are interested in, and will let you put some rounds through em, that would be the best... many say this is the best or that is the best... most have drank one flavor of koolaid and its the only taste they've had... not the case until you've heard for yourself, the suppression comparison of different makes and mods first hand.

My opinion is to first choose which suppressor (company) you want, and then have your barrel threaded by that company.

I have a Custom rifle by Tactical Rifles .308 and I went with AWC Thunder Trap Ti. If you can, I would go with Titanium. I also cut my barrel down to 20 inches as the suppressor was 8, so when mounted I would have 28 inches and that was long enough.

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure I understand why you cannot go the Trust route???

Like others have stated, not sure why you can not go the trust route. I live in Texas and had no problems.

Thread on suppressor will probably suit your needs. You will get best accuracy and sound reduction. AAC is very popular and very good but hard to get. Another is Thunderbeast. The 30p-1 is and excellent can. Do a search on the Hide for it.

There is a wealth of info out there. Take a little time and do your research.

I have a gemtek hvt love it shoot everythin from 22 rimfire to 300 win mag and yes it is magnum rated some are not! Only think I would get titanium next time far as sound we have in my group gemtek 30 cal 22 cal several differant ones cannot really tell a huge difference in sound only with a db meter maybe. With subsonic ammo no difference at all, that we can tell by ear. you can spend a lot and not really get any moore weight is a huge difference titanium is a def advantage. Well that's my 2 cent worth.

+1 for the trust route.

5/8-24 is pretty standard, but not all threads are the same. A good shop will ask what threads the can or mount will have, i.e. the brand, and will cut the same. If you buy a threaded can, you'll need a thread protector for the barrel. If you use a fast-attach, there's no need. Additionally, brake-type mounts such as AAC's help reduce erosion of the primary blast baffle in the can by directing much of the blast to the sides.

I use a 762SD on both my 308 and 260. I have no complaints, it works well, but I haven't had enough experience with other brands to make direct comparisons. I also used it on my AR until I got a dedicated 5.56 can, and it did a great job there as well, though it is bigger and heavier than necessary.

Be warned: NFA stuff is addicting!

When shopping for a suppressor you really need to do your homework. It's a chunk of money that you can't just sell off as easily as a firearm or part. You need to prioritize the qualities you want in a suppressor, then research the companies that offer what you want. Different companies are better at different things,so think about what is important to you.
Price
Weight
Noise Reduction
Point of Impact Shift
Attachment method
Length

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When shopping for a suppressor you really need to do your homework. It's a chunk of money that you can't just sell off as easily as a firearm or part. You need to prioritize the qualities you want in a suppressor, then research the companies that offer what you want. Different companies are better at different things,so think about what is important to you.
Price
Weight
Noise Reduction
Point of Impact Shift
Attachment metho
Length
</div></div>

Excellent advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not do a trust? </div></div>

Exactly... Much easier & cheaper...

In Katy there is Tactical Firearms they'll do the trust for free if you buy from them. much cheaper then 450 from a well know houston NFA Trust lawer.

San antonio, austin, and a lot of small counties are not going to sign I am LE and they would not sign in Llano and I work for the Sheriff go figure

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Houston Armory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yes & the gentlemen at tactical firearms is not a attorney there for it is not a legal trust. you can not write a prescription if your not a doctor. </div></div>

Writing your own trust, or having someone else write it for you doesn't make it illegal.
You could have a 5 year old write it in crayon on some toilet paper as long as you verify its legality with your county or state.

My trust did not come from a lawyer it came from my dealer. A Lawyer was consulted, though. My point is I notarized it sent it to ATF they accepted it and I have recieved four stamps.

The advice to have the can manufacturer thread the barrel, either for the suppressor or a quick detach depending on what you ultimately select, is good. I've had good luck and bad with local gunsmiths. Most recently, a local 'smith charged me $85 rather than $60 because the bore was not concentric with the barrel (not uncommon) and I still had baffle strikes starting with the first baffle. I'm three months into it now, and the 'smith has agreed to 1) pay my shipping to YHM, 2) pay YHM to cut his threads off and rethread the barrel and install the QD, and 3) pay YHM to machine the end off my can (a 7.62 stainless Phantom), press out the damaged baffle stack and press in a new stack, weld a new end cap on, and refinish it.

He thought that maybe next time he'd return the rifle rather than try whatever he tried again. Good idea, I say.

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Katy there is Tactical Firearms they'll do the trust for free if you buy from them. much cheaper then 450 from a well know houston NFA Trust lawer. </div></div>

Quicken?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When shopping for a suppressor you really need to do your homework. It's a chunk of money that you can't just sell off as easily as a firearm or part. You need to prioritize the qualities you want in a suppressor, then research the companies that offer what you want. Different companies are better at different things,so think about what is important to you.
Price
Weight
Noise Reduction
Point of Impact Shift
Attachment method
Length
</div></div>
This...+... Check for product availability
Make sure you buy from a dealer that has your desired can in stock...You dont wanna wait longer than you have to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Katy there is Tactical Firearms they'll do the trust for free if you buy from them. much cheaper then 450 from a well know houston NFA Trust lawer. </div></div>

I drive by there every day and they have a sign stating suppressors in stock....I think I'll stop in and see whats up

If Im thinking of the same person you are..... watch out for him. He is a snake in the grass.

We most certainly do provide free trusts and do 3-5 and day. They are legal and are all approved. We also have the absolute lowest prices on silencers and they are in stock
smile.gif