• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need suggestions on a decent training rifle

Skizzle

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
San Diego CA
Hi, I am new here and new to long range rifles in general. First let me say that this is an excellent site, I need some help though.
I will be signing my contract in the upcoming months here, and am basically trying to gain every advantage possibble before heading out. One of my goals is to hopefully get sniper cert. but really just have excellent marksmanship skills in general. I figure the more experience I have going in, the better off I will be. Ive already become pretty proficient with my AR15, but am now looking to a decent long range weapon to get some sniping skills started. I was first thinking that a M24 clone would be perfect, until I saw what it costs to have one built.
I started realizing that while it would be nice, it is not neccesary to have the same exact setup for a newb like me.
From the research I have done so far, it seems like some other variation of the Remington 700 would be fine for me.
My question though, is which one? Obviously, the closer the format is to the Army issued M24 the better, but once again not crucial for what I am doing right now.Ive already signed up for a course on basic range skills(windage,elev.,moa,etc) but now I need the rifle. Whether it be a model straight out of the box or somthing a little cheaper that I throw a custom barrel and trigger on, is fine with me. I just want what is going to prepare me the most.
Id like to stay in the 1k range(no scope) but am open to all suggestions from you guys.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks

Re: Need suggestions on a decent training rifle

Remington 700P or 700 5R would be good in your price range. If you wanted, you could buy a 700 SPS Varmint .308 and upgrade the stock to an HS precision or manners of your choice.

A Remington would be a good choice, for the money involved, a Savage is a great rifle too. You can buy a Savage and upgrade the stock for the same price as a base Remington in most cases. My experience has been that the Savages shoot better from the box than Remington's do on average.

Both are excellent rifles.

Keep in mind that an 800 dollar rifle with a $30 scope will shoot like a $30 scope as well as a $5,000 custom rifle will only shoot like a $30 scope if that's what you put on it.

My suggestion is to buy whichever factory rifle suits your fancy and then spend money on getting good glass.

If you're on a budget you can't go wrong with the SWFA SS series scopes, even the fixed power 10x will be a great way to start.

For about $1200 you can get into a Savage, upgraded stock, good base and rings and SS10x and still have some money left over to get a couple boxes of ammo.

Yup, find a decent used REM700 or savage .308, save as much money as you can for a decent scope and rings, and shoot the shit out of it. You'll get your moneys worth out of it and have 1-up on some when you go in

Thanks for the answers guys. Im leaning towards the Rem. 700 just because of the massive aftermarket availability. Maybe im wrong but wouldnt the Remington also help for muscle memory being that its the same basic platform as the M24?
Also im willing to spend a little more money on the rifle if neccesary. Only reason I was putting the 1k price on the rifle was, I knew id be spending at least $800-1200 on glass. I just dont want to get into this crazy build that my skill range will keep me from utilizing anyway.

Spend it on good ammo for your AR-15 shoot the shit out of it.
Bolt gun..... get a decent 22-LR and Scope and wear it out. My Sako Quad is pretty good.

+1 on the 22 bolt action it'a a great training rifle and alot of fun and cheap to shoot