• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Thermal Guidance

Laser1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
The Great State of Texas
Here is my situation. I will be pulling the trigger on a new thermal scope next month. I'm leaning towards the Pulsar Duo Dxp55. I am looking at shooting out to about 300 yards, but I need to be able to distinguish between coyotes, hogs and, most importantly, my neighbors Great Pyrenees dogs that occasionally chase hogs on my place. Will this unit give me the ability to distinguish the dogs from the hogs at 300 yards? I was leaning towards a clip-on but don't want to deal with the collimator issues with the clip-on, so I think I am back to the idea of a dedicated thermal scope. I don't want to support the chyna manufactures for obvious reasons. My budget is about $6K but might could go a bit higher on a higher end used scope so long as it meets my requirements for the ability to make a positive ID on the neighbors' dogs. Since I will be mounting it on a 338LM mounted on a tripod, I need the ability to keep my eye away from the scope body, hence why the Pulsar Duo might work since I can get about 2" away from the ocular and still see through the scope. Any help would be appreciated.

I’d take a look at Nvision since they rate their stuff to 50 cal, you should be able to grab a used Halo LR for about $4500 and they will have a great image

The $6k budget gets you into the ball park of the N-Vision N-35 which contains the vaunted oasys core (aka BAE core), Some of the chinese scopes now have decent images at shorter distances and low magnifications in good thermal conditions, but the bae cores are the best cores we can buy and made in USA the N-35 is 100% made in USA.

The BAE cores give best available image we can buy in all thermal conditions. Further in most thermals, the 4x digital image "sucks". I was shocked at how good the N35 image is at 4x digital, more than usable, its still very sharp. So that gives you a true field usable mag range of 2.5x up to 10x.
And the N35 has mil-hash holding reticles.

I reached out to a few of my reps. for input.

My Armasight rep replied:

"For his long distance application I would go with a Contractor 640 50mm 3-12 or step up to the Contractor 640 75mm 4X19 if he is going to be engaging at distance. He will like the Kinetic mount that come with the optic. It gives 2-21/2 inches of offset so you aren't creeping into the ocular. Lastly, the user function knobs and ease of zeroing far outweigh the push buttons of the Pulsar. Not to mention it's made here in the US."

More to follow

"Since I will be mounting it on a 338LM"

My guess is this is the reason you're not getting much support. I personally see this as a very unique use case and it just spells O-U-C-H!! :p

"Since I will be mounting it on a 338LM"

My guess is this is the reason you're not getting much support. I personally see this as a very unique use case and it just spells O-U-C-H!! :p
Honestly, it is the only other rifle I have other than my deer rifle, a 270win. We have had hogs rolled, trot off and never recovered when shot with 308, 3006, 270win, 35 whelen, 300wm and 45-70 shooting Garret cartridges on body shots!! Just trying to use what I already have.

Reactions: MuleyTime
All thermal scopes are rated to handle the recoil of a grenade launcher, so choose the scope with the best warranty and get out there.

SJC

NOX35 can be had in the $6k range, can be used as a dedicated scope, handheld scanner, or even helmet mounted. It has multiple reticles to switch between and digital zoom up to 8x, which is handy for PID. It’s probably one of the best values out there for an American-made thermal. NVision’s dedicated scopes are a bit nicer for what you want (also 3.5x vs the NOX35’s 2.5x mag) but they run north of $8k.

Reactions: rlsmith1