• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need tips on spraying my rifle

Re: need tips on spraying my rifle

Be sure to get it very clean before you start to paint.
Oil and finger prints don't hold paint well.
Try lacquer thinner, but use in well ventilated areas and no flames nearby.

Coach

i like to sand with very light paper first, also gets rid of the molding marks in synthetic stocks, mask what you dont want painted (vent holes, numbers on turrets on optics, inside the stock where i may put bedding, etc.), then wipe down with acetone. i either lay down primer or go right to the base coat (i prefer khaki). then i put down a lyer of texture for grip and looks, then another coat of khaki. then lay your pattern (which can be endless to choose from or make your own). you can stencil it, apply with a horsehair bruch, rag it on, whatever you feel comfortable. comes out like this:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/gallery/27/medium/1803.jpg
i have some other patterns as i may be doing jobs for my gunsmith, as soon as i download the pictures i'll post them for you if you want

TP that is a SWEET paint job on that rifle!! How long did that take you and what did you use?

i don't mean to get off topic, but krylon camo paint and rustoleum primers with a protective clear coat matte. hand painted the details with a brush. the toughest thing that took the most time was coming up with the pattern. i tried it out on my 22 mag 1st, then moved it to the .308 i'm possibly starting to paint stocks for my gunsmith, hopefully getting a side job painting stocks and guns. came up with about 20 schemes. i figure once a new pattern is designed it'll take 12 to 25 hrs (excluding drying time) and how complex the pattern. if your interested in seeing more patterns i'll send you some pictures once i get them all downloaded from the camera.

I use a single color (Krylon camo flat green) on my oak stocks for the ease of touch up. I don't know of a good matte protective finish, but you can always spray on another coat of flat green. There are many protective coatings that are durable, but they shine too much for my taste. 600 rnds at an Appleseed shoot will rub damn near to the wood with 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint, but it's really easy to freshen up with a single color.