• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need to build a linear moving target

Jimmy D in AK

Myrmidon
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2010
Alaska (AK)
Anyone build a DYI mover? Need it to be able to move an 18”x 24” AR500 plate at 1.5-2.5 mph (bottom of plate will be mounted at least 24” above the top of base). Over a distance of 50yrds then reverse and do the same in the opposite direction. Open to most ideas except hanging cables (ground cables ok). Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 338dude
I could armor up a motorized wheelchair and attach r/c servos to it... it’ll run me about $2K... but I’d rather do a ground cable, reversible eclectic motor to move an ATV chassis; much less $.... Before I jumped into the deep end, I thought I’d check with the masses to see if someone has already skinned this cat. Any suggestions that don’t involve me contacting my ex mother-in-law would be appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: Badjujuu
You'll need a wagon with a pulley and steel cable, small electric motor (Tractor Supply, maybe Harbor Freight). Think old-style laundry line. Old technique for tank and machinegun gunnery practice. This is fancier, with rails:

76a7c7df90.jpg

What would you use to power it and move the target? Would an electric motor work ran off batteries. Using solar to keep them charged?

electric motor/solar panel charging system..... For the weight of the target, and the amps needed to move it the distance you want... I'm not sure of the "cycles per week" that you'd get, but my guess is you could count them on both hands. Obviously it depends on how many solar panels you have, but....

What about incorporating a small 'lawn mower engine' to a drive? With limit switches and a forward/reverse transmission you can regulate the speed with the throttle and only need to bring a jerry can.

Reactions: Jimmy D in AK
This is a trainer for cutting horses -- to cut cattle from the herd for neutering, vaccinations, branding, etc. You can reverse speeds and directions quickly, up to gallop, then stop. Although the original poster asked for no hanging cables, this will work for cardboard and paper targets. The motors and pulleys will work for a ground-cable or rail system, but you'll need a larger 1/2 horsepower or more motor for a big steel plate.

photos-006.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JR_77
This is a trainer for cutting horses -- to cut cattle from the herd for neutering, vaccinations, branding, etc. You can reverse speeds and directions quickly, up to gallop, then stop. Although the original poster asked for no hanging cables, this will work for cardboard and paper targets. The motors and pulleys will work for a ground-cable or rail system, but you'll need a larger 1/2 horsepower or more motor for a big steel plate.

photos-006.jpg
Rails or a concrete walkway are going to add cost. First rail below is 2x4.

40-50-125-MotoShot-MotoTRAX-Moving-Target-Track-System-1.jpg
largewebsetup.jpg

This one's German:

DSC_7211.jpg

This one's built out of garage door channel.

moving-targets.jpg

You'll need a wagon with a pulley and steel cable, small electric motor (Tractor Supply, maybe Harbor Freight). Think old-style laundry line. Old technique for tank and machinegun gunnery practice. This is fancier, with rails:

76a7c7df90.jpg
Sinister,

All great ideas- THANK YOU!... I'm going to go with the 2x4 rail option and see what I can do with it. I can run a Honda EU2000 generator of a few dollars a day for as little actual run time it'll have AND the 2x4 rails are easily replaced. I keep you posted on the outcome and if you ever find yourself in Alaska- come on by and shoot the thing (if come during hunting season there are other things you could shoot that'll taste better).

Regards,

-James

I've debated throwing one together also I'd probably be only guy in the area with a mover I like the idea of the cutting horse trainer except cable would end up cut in half so ground rail is best option.

Reactions: 338dude
I’ve been wondering about this myself.......thanks for all the pictures....definitely worth a few thousand words.

Rails or a concrete walkway are going to add cost. First rail below is 2x4.

40-50-125-MotoShot-MotoTRAX-Moving-Target-Track-System-1.jpg
largewebsetup.jpg

This one's German:

DSC_7211.jpg

This one's built out of garage door channel.

moving-targets.jpg
who makes that blue thing with the track? cant quite read whats on the side of the box, tactical something?

You rind some wets fresh across and tell them that youll pay $100 USD cash if they will just run across the berm with this piece of steel. If you make it you get the $100 and some soft tacos for lunch.

And a ride to Nancy's house.

• Haha
Reactions: Jscb1b
Garage door opener....chain drive.
You'll get the pulleys, the chain, the motor, and the tracks.
A couple of trip switches, one at each end, that trigger a relay that reverses the direction.
Simple, I could do it in a day, easily.
It shouldn't have any trouble pushing and pulling a 50lb plate because a garage door weighs at least that.
Now available in 1/2, 3/4, and full horsepower models at your local Homie De Pot.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Edit....even better.
Use the optical safety lenses as your motion limiter and the motor control will already be wired to reverse direction when they are tripped.

Get after it.

Reactions: 308pirate
Another local range has used the garage door opener solution for years. It will work, but will not withstand a continuous diet of centerfire without serious track mods.
If you plan to run competition stages with them, best of luck. As I said, the range in question used them for years but there was always random aggravating failures.