• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need to quit chewing

I smoked a pack a day and dipped a can a day. Even slept with dip in. I quit several times using the patch. Soon after weaning off of the patch the urge came back and I was bag to smokes and chew. In finally got fed up and stopped everything cold turkey. I want tobacco everyday and it sucks. I had to accept the fact that I wasn't going to want it any less. When the urge strikes I just think of how tough quitting is and thinking that all the suffering would be for nothing if I start again. Good luck and keep trying to quit if it doesn't work this time. You can't fail every time.

Bradley, I'm in the same boat as you my friend. I am a solid 3 can per day dipper and sometimes venture into the 4 can per day range. I can't put just a little pinch in my lip and be satisfied with it, I put 1/3 of a can in that puffs out my jaw from my rear molar to the middle of my bottom lip and pretty much keep a fresh one in there anytime my eyes are open. I have quit for 6+ months at a time before, but end up having a weak moment and have "just one" and I'll be back to 3/day before the week is up. The trick for me, when I was off the tobacco, was to stay out of convenience stores at all cost. They're like candy stores to a tobacco addict! Repeat after me, "pay at the pump"! You can also do what my old sales manager used to call "buying yourself some motivation". Spend a ridiculous amount of money on something you want but don't need and can't afford with the money you plan to save over the next year from not dipping, then you'll either go broke or quit!

Some time ago I switched from dip to nic gum in an effort to quit. I stayed on nic gum longer then planned but when I saw this thread I decided enough was enough.

Im a few days into being free of nicotine. The first day sucked but it got easier as time went along.

If you want to quit just motivate yourself and do it. Thanks to all in this thread, you helped me a lot.

These are a few things that helped me:

• Deciding that I wanted to quit for my health/well being and just doing it - if your done with it just be done with it. If you get sick initially and can't get past it see a doctor to get through the first couple of weeks.
  • Prayer
  • For the first couple of weeks try to stay away from the things you associate with it. If you always dip while shooting take a short break from shooting for example. It helps to make it easy on yourself in the beginning while you adjust.
  • Remember that it is amazing how much easier it will get in a couple of weeks.

I have been chewing a can a day for the last 15 years. About a month ago I decided that I was going to quit on June 21. I had it planned so that I would quit as soon as I got back from vacation. So, as of tomorrow morning, I'm quitting. Cold turkey. This is going to suck! But my daughter's are happy and that is my motivation.

I'm enjoying a wonderful pinch of snuff right now! However not being a complete jackass I know I need to stop chewing, and frankly have wanted to for awhile. So lets all hold hands and stop the self indulgent abuse together!!! Nate feel free to call when you need a shoulder to nic bitch on.

Btw seeing how were all going to hold hands while having nic fits I expect fights to break out. Be ready to start a fight club.

Fight club!! It's on. Well maybe next year. I need to get in shape first. I haven't had a chew since last night, and I am going fuckin nuts.

I quit about 20 yrs ago for Lent. Went through about a week of cold sweats and bad dreams. Craved it hard for about a year after I quit. Thought about it many times a day but never caved in. Looked at my nicotine addiction like a alcoholic. If I took one dip then I would be addicted all over again. Twenty years later I don't crave it anymore but I still would never take a dip just for the hell of it for fear of getting hooked again.

I quit about every 2 months for about 2 weeks or until my jaw hurts from grinding my teeth. If anyone knows a way around that I would appreciate the help.

Chantix is supposed to help quit almost any kind of addiction.. It helped me quit smoking for 4 months straight, long story short I need chantix again.....

Fuck it you gotta die of something....................... Like the comedian i can't remember says "It's gonna suck when your lying in the hospital dying of nothin' !". I know it's not what you wanna hear. I quit smoking 'cause it was killing my lungs. Getting bronchitis every couple months. I just fucking quit. You aren't gonna quit shit till you REALLY want to. Trust me i loved smoking and could pick it back up in a second. When YOU decide your done you will be done. Till then it's not going to happen. Fuck pills and lozenges and pixy dust and angel farts. It is a 1000% mental game. I would be a fucking liar if i said that I don't want a smoke sometimes but I just don't. Sorry no rainbows and crutches.

Last edited:
Maybe i don't have an addictive personality but i've smoked, dipped, and chewed. I only smoke sometimes when i drink and have never chewed consistently. Dipped mostly but never really did it consistently. Always gave it up for a month for lent back when i was dipping on a somewhat regular basis in highschool. Stopped pretty much when i got to college except on occasions. Started back pretty steady this summer when i got back to working. It's a mind over matter thing IMO. My dad dips a roll a week, we're talking a can a day which is probably average for a consistent dipper. It takes me a week to two to dip a can. I honestly don't know what to tell people except that they have to actually want to quit. My dad reiterates all the time about quitting but his excuse is he's addicted. It might be wrong for me to see it this way but i call BS, he doesn't want to and ultimately doesn't care or he would stop. It's not like narcotics trying to generate a high over again, it's not that type of addiction IMO. I also don't see how people say it calms them, nicotine is a stimulant and in no way relaxes me. Hell it's one of my go to resources when studying hours on end or working 14/15 hour days when we're behind. I can't sleep with a dip in.

Not trying to discourage you or anything if you really want to quit find some substitutes and quit. Then again as i said maybe i don't understand it. Sunflower seeds, gum, hell beef jerkey dip if it will keep you busy, should help.

Good shit!!

Fuck it you gotta die of something....................... Like the comedian i can't remember says "It's gonna suck when your lying in the hospital dying of nothin' !". I know it's not what you wanna hear. I quit smoking 'cause it was killing my lungs. Getting bronchitis every couple months. I just fucking quit. You aren't gonna quit shit till you REALLY want to. Trust me i loved smoking and could pick it back up in a second. When YOU decide your done you will be done. Till then it's not going to happen. Fuck pills and lozenges and pixy dust and angel farts. It is a 1000% mental game. I would be a fucking liar if i said that I don't want a smoke sometimes but I just don't. Sorry no rainbows and crutches.

Chewing gum and toothpicks worked for me. Usually I carry about 10 toothpicks around with me to munch on all day.

A little suggestion to help you quit dipping if you really want to:

cut out a picture and tape it to the inside lid of your can of your mother in law.

you will then throw up in your throat every time you open up your can, addiction resolved...................