• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need to re-thread rifles?

timelinex

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 7, 2011
    Scottsdale,Az
    So I plan on buying 2 suppressors in the next week or two. One is going to be a sparrow SS which I will need to thread my rifle and get an adapter for my walther p22.

The other is going to be a Thunderbeast 338BA. I plan on using it on my savage 308 FCP-K and savage 338 110BA. These are both threaded for a muzzle break, which I'm planning on replacing with TBAC's. My question is <span style="font-weight: bold">do I need these to be professionally rethreaded?</span>? The muzzle breaks come in the threading to fit on the stock threads, however I remember reading before that stock threading isn't always concentric enough to be used with suppressors.

Is there any truth to this, or is this just hearsay.

Thanks

Re: Need to re-thread rifles?

Hi,

We include instructions on how to verify alignment. If it checks out, then you can go ahead and use the factory threads. We almost never see factory barrels with unusable threads.

I love seeing zak chime in and help. my next suppressor will be a tbac.

It depends on the barrels.

I have never seen a 308 and larger barrel with bad threads.

I have seen a few M4 barrels with bad threads (not concentric).

You can mount the can up and with the breach open, using a light and piece of reflective paper verify alignment visually pretty easily. You kind of have to have an eye for it but it is easy to see if it is out as there will be a high and opposite low side.

That being said, most suppressor manufacturers will cut a bore large enough to accommodate some run out in threads. I put one of our QD checkmates on a customer's P22 the other day which wasn't even close to concentric. Of course the thread job sucks on those guns as well as the thread adapters. Our bore cleared it fine though. I visually checked it saw a high and low side but nothing that would obstruct. We shot it, it was fine.

Most likely you will be fine. Out of the last several hundred cans we've been through over the last couple years I have only seen 2 barrels that would not work, they were both M4 barrels that needed to be re-threaded.

I ordered a Thunder Beast too! Zak's responsiveness and the good reputation of the cans sold me on their product.

I plan to use the 30P-1 to use on .308, .260, .243 and maybe on a .223. Can't decide on which rifle to thread first since none of them are currently threaded.

But how do I get them threaded? The dealer who sold me the cans said he knows a guy that can do it for $200 each. Is $200 a rifle the going rate for threading?

I'm not an expert on the matter, but $200 seems kinda steep. A quick look at SAC website shows he is doing it for $110. Most local smiths around me are $75-100. I would shop around a bit if I were you.

I also recommend using a well known smith for silencer threading. Any random gunsmith can produce "ok" threads, but for a tight, concentric job, I wouldn't trust my expensive custom rifles to some random dude.

I agree about Zak, I just ordered two more Thunder Beast cans from Suppressed Tactical Solutions a 30BA & a 338BA. Emailed Zak a question on my 30P-1 and he answered almost immediately. Great customer service<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love seeing zak chime in and help. my next suppressor will be a tbac. </div></div>

Thanks for the replies guys. I plan on calling thunderbeast on Monday or Tuesday and placing my order!

I'm buying a 338ba with an added adapter for my 308. My other question is, is there any way to attach this thing to my AR as well? I know it's gonna be too big and not as effective on a 223, but it would be nice to have that option if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, we make "30BA" brakes to fit 1/2-28 muzzle threads. </div></div>

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I ordered a 338BA from you in the last week, and its good to know that you guys are on here giving immediate support.

If I put a 30BA brake on the 223, is it still going to be effective as a brake? I know that if a muzzle break is too oversized, it doesn't have enough blast to be effective.