• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes need your recommendation on a spotting scope

turbosa22c

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2008
yuma AZ
I need your recommendation on a spotting scope. i intend to use it for service rifle competition 200-600yds and F class from 800-1000. i have not seen a lot of spotting scopes in person and want your opinions. The first thing i was wondering, is there a spotting scope with good eye relief and doesnt feel like your trying to look through a straw. my b udget is about $400, its all i can afford at this time. Already looked through the low end stuff at the sporting good stores already.

Re: need your recommendation on a spotting scope

Mmmmmm.

Spotting scopes are an interesting thing. You could have one that set you back a vital organ to aquire and still have fussy clarity at the high magnifications.

Maybe someone else on here thats had luck with a <$400 spotting scope can chime in.

If it were me tho I would buy a decent cheap model and change my target types instead of looking for super clear glass which equates to more money on the glass.

Birchwood Casey Shoot 'n' See targets are great for low end spotters.

I had a guy next to me at the range the other week, who had a cheap spotter that he picked up from his local post office. I have seen it in my PO, and it sold for $80. Some no name brand bit of gear. Looking through his spotter at my target at 400 yards I could just make out holes on a plain target. Same goes for my Nightforce. Could just make them out at 22x mag.

The only thing that lets me down is the target type.

I can shoot at 500 yards all day on a 12" Shoot'n'see and I dont need a spotter for it. My NXS cranked up at 22x sees the holes well.

I guess your situation is a little different as your shooting at F-class targets and comp paper... But its something to think about for recreational non-comp shooting.

My preference for a high end spotter would be a Nikon Fieldscope.

My preference for a mid end spotter would be a Bushnell excursion 15-45x6-

http://www.cstactical.com/Bushnell/OPTICS/Spotting-Scopes/Bushnell

Vin
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mmmmmm.

Spotting scopes are an interesting thing. You could have one that set you back a vital organ to aquire and still have fussy clarity at the high magnifications.

Maybe someone else on here thats had luck with a <$400 spotting scope can chime in.

If it were me tho I would buy a decent cheap model and change my target types instead of looking for super clear glass which equates to more money on the glass.

Birchwood Casey Shoot 'n' See targets are great for low end spotters.

I had a guy next to me at the range the other week, who had a cheap spotter that he picked up from his local post office. I have seen it in my PO, and it sold for $80. Some no name brand bit of gear. Looking through his spotter at my target at 400 yards I could just make out holes on a plain target. Same goes for my Nightforce. Could just make them out at 22x mag.

The only thing that lets me down is the target type.

I can shoot at 500 yards all day on a 12" Shoot'n'see and I dont need a spotter for it. My NXS cranked up at 22x sees the holes well.

I guess your situation is a little different as your shooting at F-class targets and comp paper... But its something to think about for recreational non-comp shooting.

My preference for a high end spotter would be a Nikon Fieldscope.

My preference for a mid end spotter would be a Bushnell excursion 15-45x6-

http://www.cstactical.com/Bushnell/OPTICS/Spotting-Scopes/Bushnell

Vin
smile.gif

</div></div>

+1 well said

If you want a reticle the excursion is a great scope for the money and the only game in town under $400. If you don't care about a reticle and are on a budget you might want to look at the redfield rampage. I only say this because I had one sent to me for a review and I am actually pretty impressed with it so far, for the $219 price tag. Probably the best sub $400 spotter I have used with the exception of the excursion. Both have great eye relief and fields of view. Sportsmans has the rampage in I am told so if there is one close to you, run in and check it out, but take it outside. Looking through the scopes in the store is useless for seeing what they are capable of.

A used Nikon is probably about the best a person can do for <$400...and honestly after using both Swaro and Zeiss, the Nikon isn't too bad...really all depends on the application...

vman put it very well

i would have to concur , if you can pony up for the nikon , you will be glad

cheap spotter? Konus...

I have a Burris 25-75x spotting scope that I can pretty easily read .30 holes in a plain paper target @400 yards with (provided mirage is low). At 75x, obviously, mirage is going to be the show-stopper @800-1000 yards, regardless of the scope. I reckon the Burris would read splatter targets @1000, mirage permitting, but you'd need something more substantial than the toy tripod that comes with the scope, it's just too jittery. Optics Planet has it for ~$220.

Have you been to a service rifle competition yet? What do you see on the line? Kowa...get a 601 with a fixed 20x or 30x wide angle. Your best bet is to simply start competing without a scope(or some piece of crap) and check out your fellow competitors scopes. Then look for a used model in your price range. Kowa should be top of your list...:)