• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need Your Recommendations

AtlantaJohn

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I have two ARs that need scopes and wanted to see what would be recommended. The first one is a 7.62x39 AR with a 20" barrel and the second is a Beowulf 50 AR with a 16" barrel. Typically I do not shoot more than 600 yards. Am curious what would be your best recommendations? NF? USO? SB? Trijcon? Aimpoint?

Thanks for your help!

Re: Need Your Recommendations

Are you planning to shoot both 7.62x39 and .50 to 600 yards or are you looking for something for CQB and the .50 for 600? Shooting paper or hunting? What level of accuracy are looking to get from them? Are they capable of 1MOA or do you just want to be able to hit a man sized target at 600 with one or both? You mentioned NF and S&B but also an Aimpoint which are completely different types of scopes. Precision vs more of a CQB type optic. What kind of shooting are you looking to do?

600 yards would really be stretching it with either of those cartridges. The .50 BW is a CQB cartridge and there isn't much in the way of high quality ammo for the 7.62x39.
Short, stubby, low BC bullets at low velocities don't usually make for 600 yard guns.
A good quality 1-4 for both, maybe a 1.5-5.

Thanks and yes I was thinking of a CQB for the 50BW and just was not sure what to use with the 7.62x39. Am just punching holes in paper and trying to become a better shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">600 yards would really be stretching it with either of those cartridges. The .50 BW is a CQB cartridge and there isn't much in the way of high quality ammo for the 7.62x39.
Short, stubby, low BC bullets at low velocities don't usually make for 600 yard guns.
A good quality 1-4 for both, maybe a 1.5-5. </div></div>

I go for the Nightforce 1.5-4X24 NXS for what you want to do.

7.62x39 AR with a 20" barrel I would recommend a 1-4x unit or even a 2.5-10x range. The Leupold MR/T M2 turret in 1.5-5x or the 2.5-8x are great little scope and the NF 2.5-10x32mm are rock solid. We have a Leupold NEW 1.5-5x MR/T M2 that Leupold just discontinued at the start of the year. Here is a link to it. Leupold discontinued MR/T 1.5-5x M2.

For the Beowulf 50 AR with a 16" barrel I would recommend a RED-DOT sight or the Leupold Prismatic.

Mike @ CS TACTICAL.com