• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Needful things...

TimActual

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2013
Riverside, CA
Hello, I would like to create a checklist of necessary items to bring along when traveling to the range or countryside for long distance shooting.

While some things may be obvious, like a rifle, I'm interested in the things that some of you have discovered through your years of experience that you never leave without. I read somewhere of a guy that fills a sandbag with walnut media instead of sand to use as a less heavy rest. Nice idea. But I also want the list to be comprehensive too, so a barometer would also be a fit.

In thinking of this, I felt that some of your answers may benefit others as well as myself and it might be kind of a fun project to see what some of you have come up with.

So please feel free to add to this post as you see fit. I would really appreciate it. Thank you kindly and happy shooting.

~Tim

Water
Protein bars
Logbook, writing implement, mil-dot master
data cards
cell phone with applied ballistics software
Kestrel
Ammo
Target Dots
Shoot-N-See targets for longer range
Staple gun
Suppressor
Ear Pro
Eye Pro
Shooting Mat
Binoculars if I'm shooting far enough that I need to read wind flags
Spotting scope and tripod if I feel the need and/or shooting with another (usually just use my riflescope)
Rifle cleaning equipment if round count will be over 150-200. Complexity of equipment depends on how much over that figure.
Scope Lens Cleaning Equipment
Vectronics Terrapin (would have mentioned range finder but in this case one should be specific). :)
Good boots
Excedrine Migrane
Alieve
Extra AICS Mags
Stick that I cut to use as a wrench for getting my muzzle brake on/off
MagnetoSpeed Chrono (at times)
Rear bag (even though I usually use the accushot monopod mounted on the rifle)
bipod (even though its pretty much always attached to the rifle)
Sling (even though its usually attached to the rifle)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I'm going to the "range" in the woods to shoot longer range:
I bring my steel targets and target stands
EZ UP Tent
Tarp if its wet
Ribbon to tie up for wind assistance

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff but thats cause I keep most of my stuff in pre-packed kits to make it easier to not forget things.

Last edited:
its rare that I use the pills but there have been several instances where getting rid of a headache meant not having to come home early.

^^^^This. A stapler is always in my shooting bag with lots and lots of staples.

I also carry a first aid kit for my steel targets which includes a few bolts, nuts, washers and such to keep them going if something lets loose. Not much fun going to the range if you don't have anything to shoot at.

its rare that I use the pills but there have been several instances where getting rid of a headache meant not having to come home early.

Amen. I have dealt with migraines all my life. They seem to have gotten worse the older I get. Being around the concussion of a muzzle brake is almost a guarentee I'll get one. I never go anywhere without Imitrex. I don't know if you have tried it, but it's much faster than the excedrine & doesn't have near the problems of rebounds that the otc meds do.

Well, I suppose it depends on where one shoots.

At one range, they use old pallets nailed to frames to put targets on. So to affix the target to the frame, I use the giant steel clothes pins that Home Depot has. The targets themselves get taped to cardboard, which in turn gets clipped onto the frame. It's much easier and faster than staples, I wish I'd thought of this years ago.

In addition to the basics most listed above, I like to take hex keys and basic tools. It rains a lot here and if you shoot outside (ha ha) that waterproof paper is nice for taking notes.

I used to like to take a bunch of privates to lift targets, that's really nice too, particularly with the rain. I miss that.

I always carry a small first aid kit for cuts n stuff . depending on the range I usually have a blowout kit as well (ya never know)

+1 on the TP (speaking from experience) ;)

In addition to most of the stuff listed, I always have a calculator. I like to keep my range estimation skills sharp. I don't always like relying on LRF's and such.

Seconds for the first aid kit. I've used mine bunches and helped out with others who didn't have one. Extra ear protection too.

All great stuff guys.

Some highlights:
Medicine, very good idea. Imitrex was a lifesaver for a friend's migraines, in case any of you know someone that is cursed with that horrible ailment.

Food/water, yep.
Spotting scope on pack instead of tripod: (less is good)

Shoot & see targets.
Waterproof stuff.
Definitely a stapler.
Repair kits / tools
Batteries: A must and they are small.

TP- great idea. (I'm not too much into the 3rd world method).

"Privates". Hea. Hell yes!

All great responses, please feel free to keep it going. I'm listing everything. Thanks!

One thing I always plan to bring, but never bring enough of, is water. I shoot much better when I can drink water all day and not get thirsty, rather than baking in the sun and feeling dehydrated.

Most of my past shooting has been done out in the desert rather than at a shooting range. Are there things that you all do to take precautions regarding theft of your stuff from the firing line?

I realize that the line is off limits during breaks, so I don't know if theft is much of a concern or not. I do know that there's a lot of value sitting there when you are down range.

Wifi hotspot device, can't be left out somewhere without being able to ask the hide why your groups look like shit or if you happen to have two different scopes in the truck to ask scopeA vs. scopeB

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned their tactical fleshlight. Holy shit, what's going on here?

If you're humping your gear over terrain, weight is a prime factor. I mainly only shoot in places that I have to travel to, shoot at, and then pack it back up and go back the way I came. With this, my loadout for an afternoon/evening of shooting is as follows and if I stay overnight/into the next day I end up adding things but this is everything I brought out with me just yesterday on a 4 mile hike up mountains one way, and then all the way back in 100+ degrees temperature at 5500 feet elevation:

Rifle with sling that you can carry the rifle with and cinch the trap (I use a TIS slip cuff)
Muzzle/scope protector
Boonie hat, cargo pants with folding knife, phone, BDU top, Garmin Foretrex wrist GPS
Outdoor Research gloves
Tactical Tailor removable operator ruck
VIP light dummy corded on the ruck strap facing forward at chest height
TYR Tactical comm pouch on rear of ruck with Terrapin LRF, Kestrel 4000 and data cards inside
Tactical Tailor E&E pouch on left (weak) side with basic cleaning kit, allen wrenches, oil, few patch rags, brush, small bag, gum, small bag with Tylenol and caffeine pills and batteries for every piece of gear I have that uses them (usually stow my phone, keys, wallet etc in here)
In the ruck:
Source Hydration 3L bladder (may have extra bottles of water or Gatorade depending on where I am heading and for how long)
50 feet 550 cord
Data book cover with data book, pens & pencil, markers, compass, lens brush, map of area from USGS, mildot master, stencils, AO sketch sheets, 3x5 index cards, few feet of surveyor's orange tape, calculator, small roll of electrical tape
Ammo
TAB rear bag
Targets/target backer/peel targets, etc. Masking tape for the targets.
MILTEC poncho (just incase, but 99% of the time its used as a makeshift tent, blind or sunshade)
Small case with Wiley X glasses, ear plus
Small bottle of sunscreen
Half roll toilet paper in a ziplock bag

If I am hunting I add a warbelt with sidearm, 1 pistol mag pouch, 2 rifle mags, small IFAK.

Last edited:
All the above plus,

Environment Appropriate Clothing
Sunglasses
Suntan Lotion
Bug Spray
Three Garbage bags to cover equipment if I am caught out in the rain, brass collection and trash collection.

A trash bag for brass collection may seem a bit much, however, one day while shooting at Academi we used a covered range that had not been policed after the last group shot. There was a 10M by 30M patch of solid 5.56, 9mm, 10mm and 357 sig brass so thick that you could not see the rocks underneath. The RO told us to clean it up after we finished the class. It was a good day for a brass hound.

And with a smile on my face, I say:

No Fucking WIFI
No Fucking Computer
And the fucking phone stays in the car
Range time is unplugged time.

Thanks German, nice post. You got point. I think a headlamp is a good idea. And I was waiting for someone to bring up insect repellant, which the Brits call mozzie.

Patagonia capilene t and briefs
Patagonia R fleece .5 to exp depending on the temp
Black Diamond guide top and pants
WildThings EP or Primaloft sweater
Ball cap
Fleece hat and gloves = 2pr
Bridgedale socks
Lasportiva boots

Snacks and water
Rocket fuel
MSR Superfly stove with Bibler hanging kit
Thermos
Coffee packets, soup packets

Head lamp
weather meter
batteries

Closed cell foam pad, punch hole in one corner, layer duct tape with hole in center, tie P cord, clip pad to something so it wont blow away
SilTarp

Sewing kit, nylon/cotton carpet thread and two needles
Safety pins
Wire
Zip ties
Duct tape
Spare pack buckle
Roll of self sticking Velcro, both sides on one strip
36" pack straps 4 ea
Write in the rain pad and pen
perlon 100'
carbiners
small gun smith tool kit
kershaw vicegrip multitool
mountain money in zip lock
contractor trash bag

compass

blast match with puff balls
Bic lighters
signal mirror

Trekking pole

Simple first aid
tweezers
nail clippers
super glue
motrin
pepto
Benadryl
broad spectrum antibiotic

Bug dope

Pack: TT, Camelback, BlackDiamond or WildThings

Icomm

camel hair camera brush

Shooting kit is covered and I log book, calc, mildot master.

Maybe not quite all this every trip but never ever leave without compactors trash bag, fire starter and foam pad. I have shelter and warmth and can survive, not comfy but survive a couple days. The trash bag would be shelter and I spent a night or two in one, fire starter obvious and the foam pad to sit/lay on, cold ground can chill and kill quickly. Water, its quite easy to find every season here.

Kinda weird but I now keep a good pair of tweezers in my first aid kit that always stays in my Jeep. Three times this year someone has asked if anyone has tweezers and I become instant hero man. Twice for bodily use and once for use on someone's rifle. Go figure. I also have a long dowel that twice this year someone has borrowed to push their laser bore sight out of their chamber when it gets stuck.

--- CAMPING ---
Advise Friend of AO & ETAs
Bailing Wire
Blanket
Book
Boots
Brush & Dustpan (small)
Bug Spray
Camp Stove or C4
Card Table
Chairs Folding
Compass
Cot (gun table)
Designate a firing lane *
E-Tool
Eating Utensils
Emergency Signaling Devices
Fire Starters
Flashlights / Head Lamp
Garbage Bags
GPS
Hammer
Hot Chocolate / Coffee
Ice Chest
Lantern
Lighter / Matches
Maps
MREs
Muzzle / Scope Protection
Pots / Pans
Propane
Proper Clothing
Ribbon / Stakes (for wind flags)
Ruck Sack
Salt Pepper
Sleeping Bag / Pad
Spray Paint (for targets)
Steel Targets
Sun Screen
Tarp
Tent
Thermos
Toothbrush / Toothpaste
Twist Ties / Tie Wraps
Velcro
Water
Wood for Fire
Wool Socks
Ziploc Bags

Last edited:
--- SHOOTING NECESSITIES ---
550/Perlon Cord
Ammo
AO Sketch Sheets
Batteries
Binos
Calculator
Calipers / Tape Measure
Camera
Cell Phone / Ballistic Software
Cell Phone Charger / Battery Extender
Chapstick
Close Pins
Chronograph
Data Cards
Ear Protection (bring extra)
Eye Protection (bring extra)
First Aid Kit - tweesers, meds, needle, bandages
Food
Gloves
Gun
Hat
Kestrel or other meter
Knife
Log Book
Mildot Master
Range Finder
Sand Bags
Scope Cleaner
Shoting Mat
Spotting Scope
Staple Gun / Staples
Sun Glasses
Tape
Target Frame
Targets
Tools / Repair Kits
Towels / Rags
TP
Tripods / Monopods
Water
Waterproof Jacket / Poncho
Weapon Cleaning Kit
Windex
Writing Utensils (waterproof)

Last edited:
Ok, I sat down today and created two lists from this stuff based on what you guys provided me.

1. Shooting Necessities: This is as it states. Some or all of this category could be added to the Camping category. I wanted to split the list so as to define shooting necessities, V.S. preparing for a multi day shooting trip. Also, obviously if you are packing-in you would be taking less and would eliminate some list items.

2. Camping: This basically means traveling away from the public shooting range, possibly for multiple days.

No doubt there are other things that could have been listed, and probably something that I missed, but hopefully this will be of some help to anyone planning a shooting trip, whether it be at the local range, or out in the wild somewhere for multiple days.

Note, I am able to edit those two lists, so if you think of something worthy to add I can always update it. (unless there is a time limit on doing that).

~Tim

Last edited:
Most of my past shooting has been done out in the desert rather than at a shooting range. Are there things that you all do to take precautions regarding theft of your stuff from the firing line?

I realize that the line is off limits during breaks, so I don't know if theft is much of a concern or not. I do know that there's a lot of value sitting there when you are down range.

While it isn't always the simplest method to employ, the answer to this question is quite simple for me when I'm shooting most anywhere on public lands: the rifle goes down range with me, or gets secured in a vehicle... and I never go downrange unarmed. Having heard anecdotal reports of thefts/robberies of shooters' equipment in the field, the last thing I want to do is make things easy for an opportunist.

While it isn't always the simplest method to employ, the answer to this question is quite simple for me when I'm shooting most anywhere on public lands: the rifle goes down range with me, or gets secured in a vehicle... and I never go downrange unarmed. Having heard anecdotal reports of thefts/robberies of shooters' equipment in the field, the last thing I want to do is make things easy for an opportunist.

Hello C.C. And thanks for your reply. I'm not so much concerned about public land as when I go out there it's usually with a good size group of guys.

My concern is when I'm at a private shooting range, where I'm more likely to be there by myself. Leaving a 2k rifle, a range finder, chrono, Kestral, sheesh, I may as well just leave my wallet sitting there and hope they take that instead. But anyone in their right mind would be stupid to steal someone's stuff from a shooting range, right? But thiefs don't become thiefs due to excessive brain power, now do they?

I suppose I could ask the range master if there has been any kind of a problem like that and see what the reply is. I do have insurance but it sure would be a major setback to lose a rifle that you broke in and trained with. So I was just curious as to if anyone thinks or worries about this potential problem when they visit the range. I do look over my shoulder walking out, but once I'm 200 yards down range it's difficult to even spot your bench sometimes. I'm probably just worrying for nothing though as I tend to do that.