• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Needing a bipod?

Hawk777th

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2008
Hey all

I am needing a new bipod I have used Harris for years and I think they suck I just end up taking them off and shooting off a bag usually at the range. I shoot prone 90% of the time and they dont cut the mustard...

I am looking at Atlas PSR and 5H? The 5H reminds me of my factory TRG bipods a bit? I am wondering if its to large for most guns? I would be using it on my bolt guns and probably a Scar 20S? Am I better off looking at the standard one then the 5H?

Will the Atlas work on an Anschutz rail with some sort of adapter?

I like the Tier one but its never in stock and getting tired of waiting.

Any other recommendations?

I have thought about just forgetting a bipod and using a bag forever.

Last edited:
Pretty hard to beat a he PSR or CAL for the price.

5H is awesome but huge and I don’t want to have to take it off to pin in a bag or case.

Reactions: Hawk777th
Check out the MDT CKYE-Pod if you have the option of going with a Picatinny or ARCA mount!

Check out the MDT CKYE-Pod if you have the option of going with a Picatinny or ARCA mount!

I tried adding one to cart but it didn't let me as there is no option when choosing an attachment head and that is required prior to adding to cart.

Does this pan?

I tried adding one to cart but it didn't let me as there is no option when choosing an attachment head and that is required prior to adding to cart.

Looks like they are on backorder till July.

but they are definitely worth it.
- maybe drop Josh a message, see if there's a waiting list you can get on

Reactions: stello1001
Plenty of options. Here’s my opinion.

I bought a Gen 2 CAL, and then bought another. It’s the bipod I’ve been waiting on for 20 years. I really, really dig it. Atlas really knocked it out of the park with the CAL.

Pic because internet:

815ABDDE-0720-479E-BC3E-B7DB2E28FF6A.jpeg

Why I like it.

It’s wide. But, not too wide for field use and carrying around.

It’s stable. Really stable.

The legs can be angled and adjusted to shoot off anything I’ve come across.

It comes with a KMW Pod Loc on it, and Atlas has incredible CS.

It’s not very expensive. Considering how much we spend on the gun, glass, and all the other accoutrements for a field rifle, it’s quite affordable.

I switched from a Harris, and have used Harris for decades. The Harris is faster to deploy, that’s its only advantage in my eyes. The CAL just bipods better than the Harris, for me.

Plenty of options. Here’s my opinion.

I bought a Gen 2 CAL, and then bought another. It’s the bipod I’ve been waiting on for 20 years. I really, really dig it. Atlas really knocked it out of the park with the CAL.

Pic because internet:

View attachment 7095141

Why I like it.

It’s wide. But, not too wide for field use and carrying around.

It’s stable. Really stable.

The legs can be angled and adjusted to shoot off anything I’ve come across.

It comes with a KMW Pod Loc on it, and Atlas has incredible CS.

It’s not very expensive. Considering how much we spend on the gun, glass, and all the other accoutrements for a field rifle, it’s quite affordable.

I switched from a Harris, and have used Harris for decades. The Harris is faster to deploy, that’s its only advantage in my eyes. The CAL just bipods better than the Harris, for me.

I concur
I really like my CAL.

I have never had a bipod that pans just figured if I was going to spend that kind of coin on a bipod it should pan is all. I always hated how the Harris if you need to pan left to right jumps everywhere as you turn so figured if you don't have pan you run into that I guess if you don't run ski feet.

It depends on what your main use is. PRS, bench, hunting, etc. There are some great options out there that fit each use a little better than others.

I don’t compete, but I shoot steel often and hunt. For that I really like the Atlas PSR and the Hatch Outdoors.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I have several inexpensive bipods on Ruger 10/22's but for my centerfire rifles I use an Accu Tac and am very happy. They are urged, well built and rock solid yet easily adjustable. In fact I just ordered their FC-5 gen 2 as it has both tilt and pan features. Expensive but worth every penny

Last edited:
Hey all

I am needing a new bipod I have used Harris for years and I think they suck I just end up taking them off and shooting off a bag usually at the range. I shoot prone 90% of the time and they dont cut the mustard...

I am looking at Atlas PSR and 5H? The 5H reminds me of my factory TRG bipods a bit? I am wondering if its to large for most guns? I would be using it on my bolt guns and probably a Scar 20S? Am I better off looking at the standard one then the 5H?

I would be hesitant to say that a Harris sucks, If you shoot matches here’s a scenario to consider: you just shot off the last barricade, and you got to drop prone and you have 11 seconds to get the last two shots off.. while I’m yanking the ripcord on my Harris, you’re quickly trying to massage those Atlas legs into position.. not awesome.. Don’t get me wrong I’ve been wanting a Atlas PSR for awhile now, and I would like to have both in my match load -out, but my Harris hasn’t let me down, even on a mover this weekend ?? How the gun recoils when it’s panned 15 degrees is another thing to consider ( I don’t know) for sure if your not shooting a 24lb 6 dasher??‍♂️

Reactions: crackerbrown
Not to derail the thread but how are the CALs off a bench? In the market as well for my tac a1 in 6.5 and will be 50/50 off of prone and bench. Hoping to grab one to start until I find out what I like.

The Atlas PSR seems plenty rigid on my AR, but has too much longitudinal wiggle on my 20 pound bolt rifle. I have the Atlas CAL with ARCA rail adapter for now on my bolt gun. Losing the pan feature made it so much more rigid. I have not tried the Atlas 5-H, but it has pan, so I wonder if it would be as rigid as the CAL on a heavy rifle.

Last edited:
The Atlas PRS seems plenty rigid on my AR, but has too much longitudinal wiggle on my 20 pound bolt rifle. I have the Atlas CAL with ARCA rail adapter for now on my bolt gun. Losing the pan feature made it so much more rigid. I have not tried the Atlas 5-H, but it has pan, so I wonder if it would be as rigid as the CAL on a heavy rifle.
Would like to know this as well. I’m selling my Atlas PSR for something more rigid off a bench or prone. I’m 90% oof bench though and my rifle is about 20 lbs.

Looking at atlas cal or 5h and the pan feature on the 5h has me worried it would be like the psr.

Would like to know this as well. I’m selling my Atlas PSR for something more rigid off a bench or prone. I’m 90% oof bench though and my rifle is about 20 lbs.

Looking at atlas cal or 5h and the pan feature on the 5h has me worried it would be like the psr.

I’ve got to use the 5H on a few bigger magnums.

It’s nothing like the PSR in a good way.
It’s more stable than the CAL but I’m perfectly happy with my CAL.

Hey all

First, Thanks for considering the Atlas line of bipods! Second, Harris makes a great bipod, Not intending to offend you, but, not knowing what makes the Harris "suck" in your opinion might actually be your positioning/method/style of shooting that will result in same experience no matter what bipod is used. Blaming gear is easy, self reflection is hard. But, the fact is, if Harris "solved" all issues bipod, the military would not have asked for a different bipod and the Atlas would not exist. The Atlas PSR is readily adaptable, better suited for dynamic shooting, think multiple targets, minute of man. The 5-H is huge, very specialized almost application specific, not readily adaptable. The Atlas CAL is a bipod that delivers the patented Atlas features but without the PAN which some shooters prefer. If bench and distance is your area of interest, the CAL would be my choice.

I would be hesitant to say that a Harris sucks, If you shoot matches here’s a scenario to consider: you just shot off the last barricade, and you got to drop prone and you have 11 seconds to get the last two shots off.. while I’m yanking the ripcord on my Harris, you’re quickly trying to massage those Atlas legs into position.. not awesome.. Don’t get me wrong I’ve been wanting a Atlas PSR for awhile now, and I would like to have both in my match load -out, but my Harris hasn’t let me down, even on a mover this weekend ?? How the gun recoils when it’s panned 15 degrees is another thing to consider ( I don’t know) for sure if your not shooting a 24lb 6 dasher??‍♂️

Again, Harris makes a GREAT bipod and I consider it an honor that I got to meet Mr. Harris himself and talk bipods briefly..... However, what is interesting is everybody that has used an Harris for any amount of time has probably had or will have these things happen;

1. Bipod legs are down or deployed, repositioning, moving rifle back, catch a leg/foot and it unintentionally folds up.

2. Trying to load one foot grabs the other skids forward.

3. Legs are stowed and you’re pushing the muzzle forward you catch a foot on something and the leg is deployed.

But none of this is considered as a negative because you can yank “the ripcord on my Harris“ and deploy the legs…. I’m thinking there is more to a bipods purpose than leg deployment speed. :)

Not to derail the thread but how are the CALs off a bench? In the market as well for my tac a1 in 6.5 and will be 50/50 off of prone and bench. Hoping to grab one to start until I find out what I like.

CAL would be a good call.

pewpewfever said:

The Atlas PRS seems plenty rigid on my AR, but has too much longitudinal wiggle on my 20 pound bolt rifle. I have the Atlas CAL with ARCA rail adapter for now on my bolt gun. Losing the pan feature made it so much more rigid. I have not tried the Atlas 5-H, but it has pan, so I wonder if it would be as rigid as the CAL on a heavy rifle.

Where did you find this post from pewpewfever? I don't see it in this thread.

The CAL is the most ridgid Atlas bipod made and I would recomend it for bench and square range shooting.

Can you hear me now? It’s post #22 for me, the post immediately before the one you quoted.

Can you hear me now? It’s post #22 for me, the post immediately before the one you quoted.

LOL! The fact I looked twice is real impressive!!! Well, thanks for getting me squared away on that. The 5-H will resemble the V8 and PSR regarding the rigidity, the CAL is the most rigid bipod we make to date.

Just above my first post.

It’s showing up on my iPhone.

Thanks for the info I’m ordering a atlas cal to replace the psr.

Reactions: Pete B
I have that situation covered. I have a Harris in my back pack. If this scenario comes up I change to the Harris. I've had to use it for 1 stage out of 3 matches. The rest of the time I run my 5h

Reactions: Lionsbreath
Biggest complaint on the Harris is the feet. Need to pick up the hawk hill spiked feet!

Thanks for the help! I mostly shoot prone and the feet are my biggest complaint on the Harris. If you need to turn/pan rifle at all or when it recoils they seem to jump etc. I have some older bipods with ski feet that are much easier to work with recoil and turn where you need them for natural point of aim. Bipod would be going on a 20S SSG Tikka Tac etc stuff like that. I just shoot at range so I am not to wrapped up with how big it is if it works and is stable.

I will look at the CAL. I guess I could give up the pan if i had flat feet so it turned easier etc. Harris is fine I am not trying to crap on Harris they just have some short comings like easy to fold legs and not crazy about leg adjustment system on them. :p

I will dig deeper on the 5H and the CKYE. On the CKYE what legs are you guys going with? Seems like that standards are super tall? I see it lists how tall the legs are on site but seems they can be splayed out flat? I guess if they are super wide how low do both leg options go?

Are these the standard or PRS legs?

I am also just tempted to shoot of a bag anymore when prone at the range seems sometimes like the best option when compared with the Harris.

Last edited:
CAL just arrived today. Thanks for all of the help. Feels rock solid. Can’t wait for this rain to quit so I can try it out.

Reactions: Steel head
I’m going to make the jump to the Atlas . More than likely it’ll be the 5H because it’ll serve my needs best.

I’ve been using a Harris for a while now & today I broke it. I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t get a solid load on my bipod so I downloaded my gun & started inspecting my gear. I found the problem pretty quickly.

I plan to shoot a match Saturday so this was poor timing to say the least. However, it’s better that this happened today than at the match. I’ve got a borrowed bipod to get me through the short-term so it’ll work out . Thank goodness for good friends.

Attachments

• 46A108F1-925E-4E46-BD26-07084A728457.jpeg
    46A108F1-925E-4E46-BD26-07084A728457.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 79
@Kasey

Any chance it’s in the works to add a bit more cant/tilt to the atlas line?

I own a cal gen 2 that I love. I also own a ckye pod that is also nice. Both have features that I like.

The one thing that I wish the atlas had is more tilt. I’ve had things like sideways roof top where I have one leg fully extended and the other retracted. Not enough tilt, so I have to shoot with a little cant on rifle. Usually doesn’t matter much, but not ideal.

Both the atlas and ckye pod stay in my bag. But the atlas might get the nod for most of the work if the tilt was increased.

Just a thought as the bipod is badass and as reliable as it gets.

I have 5 Atlas bipods , 2 are the CAL Gen2, absolutely love them. As was stated above: "It’s the bipod I’ve been waiting on for 20 years. "

bourbonbent hit the nail on the head... I'm no longer in the market for bipods, CAL gets it done for me.

Those of you that have the CAL,

I see they make 2 different height options. What do you have and how tall is it actually. Pics would be helpful. I’m looking at the style with the clamp and thinking this adds some height as well.

Primarily for field use/hunting. Not much bench shooting. Mostly all prone

Are these the standard or PRS legs?
These are the PRS legs. The standard legs are the taller ones.

But, even the standard legs can be spread wide enough, so that the rifle will get lower than almost any of the other bipods available, as it is mentioned in the description of the ckye pod.

Those of you that have the CAL,

I see they make 2 different height options. What do you have and how tall is it actually. Pics would be helpful. I’m looking at the style with the clamp and thinking this adds some height as well.

Primarily for field use/hunting. Not much bench shooting. Mostly all prone
The bt65 is what I have and the right height . I'm 6 foot and fairly thick, this height offer me the best balance if getting off my chest more, but still able to get low if i need to.

Reactions: hafejd30
I have 3 Harris, 1 Atlas, 1 Evolution and the Ckye-Pod. Would throw all of them away and use the Ckye-pod. It is BY FAR the most versatile pod sold. Look up his demonstration videos, these things are AWESOME. You only need the standard length for 99% of any situation.

406 bullets has Ckye pods in stock. Most vesitital bipod I've used and Ckye is a good guy!
I see the 406 bullets web site has no phone number or address listed, merely an email. If MDT is the new owner and 406 lists CKYE-pods in stock, apparently all sizes, and MDT shows none, is the 406 web site legitimate? I would like to get a CKYE, but I don't want to get nailed.

I see the 406 bullets web site has no phone number or address listed, merely an email. If MDT is the new owner and 406 lists CKYE-pods in stock, apparently all sizes, and MDT shows none, is the 406 web site legitimate? I would like to get a CKYE, but I don't want to get nailed.
406 Bullets is Ckye's personal business website. I'm not sure of his arrangement with MDT, but he sells them from this website too. He also has 4 section legs available. Email him direct @ [email protected] and tell him his Wyoming buddy is still at the mailbox....it's an inside joke.

As an update on what @NRL WY said, 406bullets.com is an MDT dealer and Cyke should still have some stock. For all of you that have been patiently waiting, thank you again, and we should have Ckye Pods available on our website very soon.

Reactions: NLR WY
406 Bullets is Ckye's personal business website. I'm not sure of his arrangement with MDT, but he sells them from this website too. He also has 4 section legs available. Email him direct @ [email protected] and tell him his Wyoming buddy is still at the mailbox....it's an inside joke.
Thank you. I am a Wyoming geezer just getting over a broken arm. Missed three matches so far because of it. The CKYE-POD looks like a really neat idea, so I guess I had better order one. I have been using several Atlas bipods up to this point.

I just ordered one and I told him "his Wyoming buddy is still at the mailbox". Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: NLR WY