• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Needing a source for some less lethal 12 gauge

Dolomite_Supafly

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2009
E. TN
Wasn't really sure where to put this as I couldn't find a shotgun section but here goes.

I am needing either buckshot or batons for 12 gauge. No bean bag rounds.

I have starting having a real problem with dogs showing up causing problems. The problems aren't life threatening but definitely annoying as well as a worry for my family if the dogs do decide to attack. The dogs are very skiddish which leaves me to believe they are strays.

I don't recognize the dogs but I am still not sure if they are strays or just neighbor dogs I've never seen so I would prefer not to kill them yet.

Thanks for your help
Dolomite

Re: Needing a source for some less lethal 12 gauge

try rubber rokets they are not leathel also pepper shot and salt shot the roket will shurly make an empreshion

Paintball has worked well for me in the past on nuisance dogs.

Thanks guys, I don't rally want to buy a paintball gun and the realted stuff when I have a spare 12 gauge I can keep loaded with less lethal stuff.

Also, I plan on have lethal ammo on my person if need be.

I was reviewing some video this morning and they were actually a lot closer that I had thought to the house, they were snooping around on our porch. I remember seeing one has a flea color on so I bet they are either strays or dogs that were dropped off in our area while it was still warm. I live kind of out in the middle of nowhere so we see it a lot, people dropping off unwated pets. Normally, if they are friendly and we can catch them, we take them to a decent shelter. They were here at 10pm and returned again at 3am. In between I had to deal with stray cats also.

I think because they are already so close to the house and skiddish of humans they probably are strays. Hopefully the less lethal stuff will keep them from coming back, if not I'll have to SSS.

On another note, I had two cats that were fighting under our house last night at about 12 midnight. When I went to investigate I noticed the strays had damaged some HVAC lines under the house (I was wondering why it wasn't working as well as of late). There was no hope of catching either of these and taking them to a shelter. There are other strays in the area but if they don't cause any problems I rarely do anything to them. I took a shot but because I was bending sideways and almost off balance I missed. Too high on the headshot so next time I'll take a body shot.

Nothing like getting woke up every few hours most of the night because of stray animals.

Dolomite

Unless you know what you are doing, consider "Less Lethal" shotgun rounds as "Lethal".

If you are just trying to scare them, crank a load of buckshot into the ground. It's going to dissuade them from sniffing around.

If they have identified your property as a food source, then catching or killing is probably your only option.

A .22LR works well for cats and dogs and is rather tidy.

If the dogs are friendly I most definitely suggest catching them. If they are aggressive, kill them.

A .22LR is perfect for cats. Cheap and accurate. Cats will breed like rats if you leave them to their own devices and as you notices they can make a hell of a racket when they are fighting or breeding.

I love animals and have a dog and cat of my own. However they are house pets, strays will destroy the environment if allowed.

What does your local animal control say?
It's a huge mistake to teach pack animals to be frightened/agressive towards people and then move them on to being some other persons problem.

Once they move on from you where will they go?
Attacking cattle? Kids?

You are not in a nice situation and are just going to have to do the right thing.

my 2 cents on strays is shoo them away with yells and rocks. if they growl or show any agression or present an obvious threat to livestock or children then a more permanent solution is prescribed...also of note...collar buckles can and have stopped pistol hollowpoints.

Like LoneWolf stated, Less Lethal munitions are only less than lethal if you know what your are doing. They are still very lethal if used improperly.
Try looking at ALS munitions. They make a variety of projectiles. I know Cheaper than Dirt sells some....like this rubber finned direct fire projectile.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM832-5.html

Bean bag munitions aren't all that bad. Just get the drag stabilized ones for greater range and accuracy.

Hey Dolomite have you thought of trapping them, foot traps or large body traps? You don't have to wait on them as in with a fire arm and then you can tote them to a shelter or 'deal' with them imedeately.

I to have two dogs that are pets, have thier shots and do not leave my property. Unfortunately for the strays and abandoned they will eventually keep breeding and turn wild if left to them selves. Sorta like the wild hogs down here that are an invasive species and are on the Federal pest list, no closed season and no bag limit.

May have not been the smartest thing I have ever done, but I used to load 12ga. rounds with shot wads placed upside down and powered only by the primer. I also completely cut the crimp section off of the hull. Seemed very efffective.

Firecrackers if they are legal in your area. They are less "evil" looking to passers by then hauling out the shotgun.

I had skunk problems last year, with the aid of a Hav-A-Hart trap I cleared them out of here. We'll see if spring brings anymore.

Good Luck

Forgot to add slingshot with rubber "bouncy balls" Be sure to bring back-up if things get ugly.

I was able to pick up some LL stuff at a local show this weekend. I took an old shotgun I had and made it a dedicated LL gun for now. I have used and even tested LL stuff when they were first coming to the mainstream market a couple of decades ago. The biggest reason I like buckshot is the spread as well as the fact they tend to be less lethal than some of the rubber slugs.

I actually thought about it after reading all the posts and decided to only give the dogs second chances. I don't like shooting dogs unless they are indeed aggressive but it does get frustrating dealing with them and the damage they can cause.

I use a 22lr for 99% of the problem animals that come around. Sometimes I'll use something else if it is the weekend but that is a rarity.

I built this for my wife to use. She was needing something that was point and shoot with enough knockdown for most animals and had little recoil. It is chambered in 45 ACP and has a Shilen barrel cut to an overall length of 17". The front sights are Tech Sights that are made for .920 barreled 10/22's. The rear sights are Williams WGRS with a ghost ring. I am going to replace the stock as soon as she can make up her mind on whether she wants a new one or not.
overallside.jpg

overall.jpg

rearsight.jpg

sightpicture.jpg

She is exremely accurate with it and really enjoys shooting it.

Here are some of the loads:
250SSTand200GDHP.jpg

The SST loads remind me of a midget 450 Bushmaster.

I appreciate all the advice guys
Dolomite

There is also a shell from ALS called a Thunder Bore or something of that nature. It is like a flashbang from a shotgun. Utilizes the sound without the projectile.

What action is that built on? Something like that in SBR form with a folding or collapsible stock would be an excellent supressor host gun!

A bull whip has always worked for me.

It is built on a Stevens 200 (Savage) short action.

I actually planned on integrally suppressing it at some point but my wife likes it the way it is so it is going to stay this way.

Dolomite

Then it would really remind me of a De Lisle carbine!

DeLisle.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nice looking Stevens. how is the accuracy? </div></div>

We haven't scoped it but my wife can reliably shoot less than 2" at 50 yards. She can get same hole accuracy at 25 yards. At 100 yards it opens up substantially, mostly because of how the wind affects the slow moving bullets as well the fact it is hard to see the target at that distance. May not seem like much but considering she is shooting with open sights I don't think it is that bad. I have shot 1" at 50 yards with it but that takes some effort on my part.

I really need to scope it once just to see how it shoots but as it is she is accurate enough for what it was designed for and she likes it with open sights so I am reluctant to mess with it.

Dolomite