• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kids 12 gauge semiauto trapgun?

diverdon

Constitutionalist, by choice
Minuteman
  • Dec 21, 2011
    WNY
    So I'm thinking of letting the kids try trap this summer. But finding them the gun I think they ought to have for it has turned into a higher hill than I expected.

I know I want a 12 ga semi gas operated light recoiling gun of good quality.

Thought I'de just call the local Beretta guy and see what he had in a kids model a300 or a400. I might as well as been trying to book a unicorn hunt. He says there is no such thing. He says I need a 20 gauge, benelli. WTF! I think he is full of shit. I dont want a recoil operated gun. I want a gas gun. I like Beretta but would consider options.

The kids in question are 4'11" 85lbs and 5"3" 108lbs. If I can find them each one with a stock that will be good enough to start out off the shelf that would be great. Any knowledge about kid sized Gas operated semi auto 12 gauge shotguns good for busting clay birds you have, Ide appreciate a share.

As a last resort I would consider a custom stocked beretta, the problem is I don't know a good stock doc, and I dont know how to spec out what I need.

Also interested in opinions on if I should put a red dot on them, and if so which one.

Thanks for reading.

I've got the shorter version of the A400 Parallel:

I'm 5'6" and mostly shoot trap in the winter (which means bulky clothing), and it fits me well. A friend's wife who is around 5'2" has taken a few shots behind it and also found it to be rather comfortable. Between the A400's operating system and the Kick-Off stock, it shots softer than any other 12GA semi-auto I've tried.

Unfortunately, it appears to be discontinued. But perhaps the stock is available as a service part, or since it's wood it shouldn't be terribly difficult to cut down to the appropriate length. I've see A400 walnut stocks on eBay for reasonable prices.

O jeez please don't put kids that small behind a 12-gauge gun, gas operated or not, unless you handload 7/8-ounce or 3/4-ounce, 1200fps loads which will most likely not operate the action. Of course, such light loads are marginal for even 16-yard trap. Maybe try skeet instead, where targets are much closer?

I introduced my son to shotgun disciplines with a 20-gauge youth-model Remington 870 pump loaded with low-velocity 3/4-ounce handloads. Cheap, crappy-but-reliable gun. As he gained height and skill, he quickly graduated to adult-proportioned shotguns and I sold the 870 for maybe $40 less than I paid for it - since it cost like $280 new 20 years ago.

One of the saddest things I ever witnessed on a skeet field was a father putting a light 12-gauge field gun in the hands of a boy about the size you describe. I offered the guy my son's shotgun and loads, but this f*ing moron said he wanted the big 12-gauge pattern so the kid would get more hits and be "confident." With every shot, the poor kid's head snapped back like he had been Mike-Tyson-punched and he staggered back. Crying by the 5th or 6th round and begging to stop. What a f*ing dumbass way to introduce a kid to shooting.

I spent many decades shooting skeet and have taught a lot of small-statured women and kids. It is my exceedingly strong opinion that recoil drives away those who would enjoy shooting if they are introduced via a low-blast, low-recoil firearm. When my wife started - I got another instructor at our club to teach her - she quickly joined the ladies' weekly clinic with other newbies. A couple of these ladies went out and bought Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U shotguns in 20-gauge. Beautiful, very light, easy to handle field guns which kicked like bloody hell. None of them stayed with the Silver Pigeon.

Please, start your kids with something light and low-recoil. I do agree that Benelli is not a good choice.

The Beretta, or a Syren L4S. I was going back and forth between them for my daughter. She was shooting the L4S from the club we were shooting at and really liked it. Easy for her to operate and it was a ladies shotgun so it was built for ladies as grips were smaller, LOP was shorter.....

She also preferred to shoot the 12ga over the 20ga also. The club sold a light recoil 1oz Rio load that she swore was lighter recoiling than the 20ga load.

Reactions: diverdon
    Beretta 1301 comp comes in a 21” and 24” version and has a shorter LOP and you can get aftermarket stocks such as the Magpul with GG&G adaptor to go even shorter. They’re light and soft shooting. Most youth guns are just shorter barrel and shorter LOP models.

Beware with barrel lengths though, I’ve found that most clubs have a 24” minimum barrel length requirement.

Maybe not what you are looking for and an old Rem 1100 20g or 12g with light loads.

Cheaper and a good option

Reactions: Baron23
    Beretta 1301 comp comes in a 21” and 24” version and has a shorter LOP and you can get aftermarket stocks such as the Magpul with GG&G adaptor to go even shorter. They’re light and soft shooting. Most youth guns are just shorter barrel and shorter LOP models.

Beware with barrel lengths though, I’ve found that most clubs have a 24” minimum barrel length requirement.

This is a good suggestion - my 11-year-old handles my 21" 1301 Comp Pro easier than my 28" A400 simply because there is way less weight forward of his toes. It has a full vent rib and accepts standard Beretta stock shims, so it should work fine.

The LOP of the Comp Pro is longer than my compact A400 Parallel. The 1301 Tactical stock is about 1" shorter than the Comp Pro and thus might be a better choice for someone going down this path.

This is a good suggestion - my 11-year-old handles my 21" 1301 Comp Pro easier than my 28" A400 simply because there is way less weight forward of his toes. It has a full vent rib and accepts standard Beretta stock shims, so it should work fine.

The LOP of the Comp Pro is longer than my compact A400 Parallel. The 1301 Tactical stock is about 1" shorter than the Comp Pro and thus might be a better choice for someone going down this path.

If the 1301 Tactical stock fits the Comp I could donate mine to a good cause. Pretty sure I didn't chuck it. Don't know what's interchangable on them though. I bought my tactical thinking the barrels were and I could snag a 24" comp barrel to be able to go to trap ranges but found out after getting invested in the platform that it doesn't work.

Reactions: diverdon
    10yo Shyanne Roberts tears 3-gun matches up with a 1301, but I don't know what the training process was that got her there. My 5'3" wife was not fond of my 21" 1301 Comp so I backed her down to a Mossberg 500 Youth Bantam (20ga. 22" bbl) and she enjoys that much more.

So I'm thinking of letting the kids try trap this summer. But finding them the gun I think they ought to have for it has turned into a higher hill than I expected.

I know I want a 12 ga semi gas operated light recoiling gun of good quality.

Thought I'de just call the local Beretta guy and see what he had in a kids model a300 or a400. I might as well as been trying to book a unicorn hunt. He says there is no such thing. He says I need a 20 gauge, benelli. WTF! I think he is full of shit. I dont want a recoil operated gun. I want a gas gun. I like Beretta but would consider options.

The kids in question are 4'11" 85lbs and 5"3" 108lbs. If I can find them each one with a stock that will be good enough to start out off the shelf that would be great. Any knowledge about kid sized Gas operated semi auto 12 gauge shotguns good for busting clay birds you have, Ide appreciate a share.

As a last resort I would consider a custom stocked beretta, the problem is I don't know a good stock doc, and I dont know how to spec out what I need.

Also interested in opinions on if I should put a red dot on them, and if so which one.

Thanks for reading.
    1100 youth model If you can find one.