• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Needing AIAW and AIAX barrel specs

ohnomrbillk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2004
Missouri
I'm getting ready to spin up a few barrels.

Looking for a print that shows the breach end/shank of the barrel for an AIAW 308 and an AIAX 338 Lapua

Barrel contour info would also be greatly appreciated.

Shoot Frank at bartlein barrels an email about the contours. He just helped me out. I was told there are three different contours for the SA and one for the 338. [email protected]. Frank is the most helpful person I have ever delt with in the gun business

Reactions: Bulletsmith
I'd be really interested to know the contours that are being used on the Mile High bartlein upgraded AI's. If/when you find out if you could post that here I'd be appreciative too.

~Brett

Email from Frank at Bartlein

What exactly are you looking for? You want to duplicate exactly the AI contours. I can not give out AI drawings. It's they're property and I would need a o.k. from them as they're drawings show thread specs. etc....

Basic contour information I can work with you on but any of the Rem. varmint contours, straight tapers or a palma contour etc...will work on they're actions.

There are three different contours used on the AW guns. Breech diameters range from 1.220" to 1.240" according to they're specs. Most guys are buying either 1.200" or 1.250" breech diameters.

The different contours are based on caliber. The win. mag and Lapua for the most part are straight taper barrels that I've seen/know of.

The .308win and .260 rem. are two different contours. One is a modified palma type contour and the other one is basically a straight taper with a real short straight section in front of the receiver with a real fast taper for about a 1/2' down to about a .950 diameter than it's just a straight taper to the muzzle. Attached is a picture of what the breech end looks like.

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd457/gto66/P1040850_zps32c0b015.jpg

Attached is a pic. of one of my Badger M2008 rifles. The barrel on the gun is a has a modified Rem. Varmint contour with a 1.250" breech diameter. The barrel laying next to it is a str. taper barrel with a 1.200" breech diameter.

The AX barrel is more complicated. It's like a modified Palma contour on steroids and a breech end that looks like the picture above. The breech diameter has to be at least 1.400". We have to use oversize diameter steel to make these barrels and there is a an add'l charge of $75 per barrel for these.

Any questions best if you could give me a call.

Later, Frank

Bartlein Barrels, Inc.
Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Main Page
262-677-1717 (ph)
262-677-9225 (fax)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Accuracy International rebarrels
Date: Sun, August 11, 2013 8:34 pm
To: [email protected]

Frank,

I'm getting ready to spin up a few Bartlein barrels for a couple of Accuracy International Rifles.

Looking for a print that shows the breach end/shank of the barrel for an AIAW 308 and an AIAX 338 Lapua.

Does the AX338 require a larger than 1.25" shank?

Barrel contour info on both would also be most helpful.

Your efforts are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

WK

All, Not sure about the thread specs. for the AX but other ones are standard not metric as far as I now.

Anyone can take a measurement off of a barrel and give us the measurements for a contour they want and order a barrel.

But....

I cannot give out customers drawings unless I get permission from the owner of those drawings. They are they're property rights etc....they've put the money and time and effort into the R&D etc...and I have to honor and respect that.

If a manufacturer like Badger Ordnance puts on line and our sends out drawings with they're actions etc...that's a different story.

Even places like BAT Machine which hold very nice tolerances on they're actions will tell you to use the action and bolt as the final gauge when doing an a barrel installation. All of those parts are still held to a given tolerance/dimension.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

AI seems to make it a big secret what the barrel tenon is.....guess they sell more pre-fitted barrels that way. I have exact numbers, but the AW tenon was M27x2.0 roughly 1.5" in length. The thread fits was extremely loose compared to conventional actions and uses no lubrication whatsoever. I think they do it that way to enable field swapping of barrels. Lubrication is probably a bad idea when soldiers are trying to change the barrel in the field.

No big secrets in reality,...Just ask AI direct and no doubt they will assist. LW do a nice information page on their catalogue that shows different barrel tenon options for profiled blanks. No doubt they can assist with info as they too make OEM barrels for AI.

Finally as Frank Green said,...use the actual receiver to determine thread size and cut your threads to suit,....tenon and profile is down to your choice really.

No big secrets in reality,...Just ask AI direct and no doubt they will assist.

Response from AI:

Hi William,

Unfortunately we do not have a print we can supply you with of the breach end of the barrel. The contour on the AX .338 is an AI6614, the contour on the AW will be determined by barrel length.

Thank You,
Accuracy International