• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Needing input on a budget m4 style rifle!!!

Farmboy05

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2009
JBER, AK
I'm looking to build my first AR and have decided on an m4 style rifle 16" barrel. I'm looking for suggestions for the most bang for my buck. I would like to know peoples opinions as far as what lower and upper? Parts kits? Stock? Barrel? Bolt carrier? Hand guard? Iron sights? I'm looking for something to fill the gap between my .22's and my .260! Like I said I'm looking for quality parts but not necessarily flashy ones. I've noticed there's already a couple of RRA lowers for sale on here and that's an option where to begin. I'm going to try to build this rifle with parts from the for sale section or from Hide vendors. Also, gas or piston build? I have read some on the subject and would like to hear from some of you who have already been down this road! Let's set the budget between $700-$800 Dollars give or take.

Thanks in advance,
John

Re: Needing input on a budget m4 style rifle!!!

If you're looking to build a rifle, you can do so for cheap, but there are some excellent deals to be had with DPMS, RRA, and S&W rifles. You can get a 16" M4-style rifle for around $900.

IF you build a rifle rather than buy one, DO NOT do a piston kit. Go direct impingement. Piston guns only maintain proper reliability and capability when built as an overall integrated system, like with a POF. You should buy a gun that is built from the ground-up to be a piston gun, not buy a DI gun and make it a piston runner.

you can get a complete weapon spikes tactical m4 le for 799.00. they get great reviews and are known for there customer service .
to be honest you will have a hard time putting together a rifle of any quality for less than that price.

Plus 1 on spikes tactical there's nothing bad you could say about them at any price and I'm an LMT mrp guy.

Nothing says budget M4gery to me like CMMG bargain bin. I'm not sure you could build a reliable rifle, using on demand parts, for the $600 they sell these for.

Another nod for Spike's. I have built several rifles using Spike's components and own a couple completes. No problems from any of them, and the fit and finish is first rate. And you won't find better customer service in the firearm's industry.

CMMG rifles are very nice for the price. I have a few CMMG lowers and the machining, finish and fit is excellent.

Could also look for a used rifle with whatever you want on it, lots of broke ass people right now selling off their toys.

I looked at the Spikes tactical complete rifles and am leaning in that direction. Would it be better to save some more and get a RRA or just get the Spikes and find out what I like and eventually build a second rifle to my taste in the future?

Being from Illinois, I try to support local manufacturers, so I would suggest looking into either RRA, as you mentioned, or I would try DSArms, which I own one of there ZM4 Midlength's. Both have good reputations!

I have a DSArms ZM4 upper on a S&W lower , runs like butter no muss no fuss M4gery style set up ,I highly recommend them , great customer service also

I wish I was getting more of a consensus but I understand there are all different kinds of opinions on what are the best budget minded componenets and manufacturers. I appreciate the help and am starting to lean towards an assembled gun as opposed to building one, unless this is something that will save me funds and I can learn something in the process. I would like more opinions on the Spikes tactical or RRA. Is this one of those cases where I could spend a little more and get a superior end result or will the Spikes do all I need in a starter rifle?

I think Spike's is a better quality rifle than RRA. They are the only company I am aware of that has actually provided proof of meeting all of the pertinent current military specifications.

Certifications

They also have a lifetime warranty.

I've run about 7-8k through my 10.5" Spike's, and the only malfs have been mag related.

If you really want to go budget try here:
Del-Ton rifle kits
I've built a couple of these and the quality is OK. Personally I like a mid-length gas system on my carbines. They give you the option to add upgrades you want and customise your build. Not MOA rifles but that's not what you seem to be looking for.

My first ar was built on olympic arms,1987 and still will walk the dog or print one big hole.
Just put together a M-4 lower using EAA Lower 88.00 ( had for an election or two) and dpms part pack 75.00 and for s&G used a 30.00 UTG 4 position butstock ( will run it some this weekend) with a M4 chromemoly forgery from Rguns for 275.00- Bolt c-handle 130.00 everyrthing went in tight!

Money Math

You might buy cheaper or you might pay more... most parts are same .....

I qualified with an Colt A1 in 87 that wouild rattle dixie buying more gun don't always make the better shooter........ buying more ammo and quality trigger time always improves the shooter... Just my .02 best of luck