• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Neil Jones Bore Guide (Pics)

hot loads B==D - - -
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Houston, TX
I know Lucas bore guides are highly recommended here as the common responses are "Lucas, don't look back." "Lucas or bust." "Lucas, it's all I use." and so on..

I took a gamble and ordered one from Neil Jones since Lucas was 3 months backlogged during the time I inquired about ordering one. People were getting different responses from him which left me scratching my head. Although I'm sure it's worth the wait, I was not that patient. As with the Lucas, I got to specify the bolt diameter of the action and cleaning rod diameter for the proper fit in my Surgeon 591 and cleaning rod (Tipton carbon fiber 0.250" diameter).
The bore guide with rod insert cost me $45 plus shipping. It only took a week to get. As you can see, it's not THAT much more.

Anyway here are some pictures. Despite how it might look in the pictures, the guide has a very nice and almost perfect fit in the action.

3539z84.jpg

167wojc.jpg

30tied5.jpg

9k4135.jpg

abnygp.jpg

nx6cg5.jpg

Re: Neil Jones Bore Guide (Pics)

I to have recently purchased a guide from Neil Jones. Same predicament as others, Mr. Lucas sent me an email saying that he would be on extended vactation until March.

I do not own a Lucas, but I could not imagine a better product.
Purchased for a Savage 12 Palma and fit is supurb. A definite upgrade from a standard Sinclair type guide.

I have a Lucas. They look the same except for the bolt retainer.....which I could see being a nice feature.

The bore guide looks nice. Is it made out of aluminum and polymer or delrin?

Can u PM the contact info and part number for a Surgeon 591 rod guide.

Thanks
Taylor

The bore guide is a combo what appears to be Delrin and aluminum.

Pusher591,
There isn't a specific part number for the Surgeon. When I sent him an email, all he asked was what action, the diameter of the bolt, and the diameter of the cleaning rod you are using.
He prefers you call in the order. Nice guy..
814-763-2769

Here are the measurements I have on my bolt:
Outside diameter of bolt in front of lugs: 0.693"
Outside diameter of bolt in middle section: 0.695"
Outside diameter of bolt in front of bolt handle: 0.700"
Average of 0.696"

I figure the diameter should be constant throughout but that's what my digital caliper read.

Just paid $52.95 for the Lucas shipped so it's pretty much the same price. I didn't know about these or I would have gave it a shot as I had to wait quite a bit for the Lucas.

I am resurrecting this thread to make a correction from a previous description of the Neil Jones rod guide; the center section is stainless steel, not aluminum. And by the way, this is his own design, he has been making them for a long time, and they are first rate. He made one for me for a Sako TRG-s bolt action. One of the features I like about it is its relatively short length; it's 2" shorter than my Lucas guide. So the rod can be shorter.

Ive used the white plastic bore guides from SinClair for years without any issues. The one you had made and Lucas ones are nice, I just dont see the need to spend that much money on a bore guide. TEHO

I don't like spending extra money on a rod guide unless I'm convinced it's called for. Here is my rationale for buying another Jones guide: I'm using a high quality barrel (Krieger) on an AR build right now, the benchrest community is virtually uniform on their opinion that you risk barrel damage if you don't use a quality guide (such as Lucas, T.K. Nollan (Barrel Saver), or Jones), so I'm not going to save the bucks on a guide that is "good enough". JMO