• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Nervous about my home brew trust

rangeryo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2013
Central Virginia
So I created a home brew trust based on an example NFA trust provided by NBI (National Business Institute). The only issue I have is that the example trust was created for the state of Washington, and I live in Virginia. Now I would like to assume that my trust complies with Virginia laws regarding trusts, but I can't be certain. Would anyone be willing to post, or PM the State law section of their Virginia trust for my comparison?

The state law provisions aren't your only concern. I would be worried about the trust fitting your circumstances and needs/wishes as well. Things to think about:
1) does the trust die when you die, or will it continue on for your children (or other beneficiaries)? Do you want it to?
2) is everyone in your life that should have a right to legally possess (spouse, roommates, kids, etc) named in the trust and actually given the right to possess in the trust? If the trust doesn't specifically allow that particular person to possess the NFA firearm, they probably don't have that legal right
3) does the trust provide directions to your spouse/successor trustee what to do after you die?
4) does the trust authorize sharing of NFA firearms? Keep in mind that it is illegal to possess an NFA firearm that is not registered to you. 26 U.S.C. 5861(d)
5) does the trust protect the rest of your firearms collection, or only NFA firearms?

I could go on, but that ought to be enough food for thought to know if your trust will work for you or not. Best of luck!