• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Netting and supplies for a ghillie suit

walnuts

Minuteman
Jan 26, 2012
Looking for a good place to get netting and other supplies to construct a suit. Any one have a good supplier for materials.

hey man,

I'm looking at starting this project soon, and figured I'd order from here:
Ghillie Kit - Woodland - Synthetic - PP-GK-W

Obviously I haven't ordered before, but they have a real phone number and a real email address :) ....hopefully someone will chime in with a supplier they've used before, but if not, I'd feel good going here. $70 seems like a lot, but my guess is the 3lbs of jute is going to be way more than required for a properly filled suit.

Try Hobby Lobby. Netting is sold for decoration and is by the dried starfish and sand dollars. Grab 2 packs and you will have more than enough. Then stroll on over to the fabric section and pick out some burlap and some RIT dye if needed. Grab 5 yds or so of burlap. Then search for "Hobby Lobby coupon" on your smartphone and pull up the 40% off one item coupon that is always posted on their website and show it to the cashier to use for the burlap since a continuous piece counts for one item, and BAM! you just saved a couple George Washingtons! Use the money saved to buy yourself a tasty chicken dinner from KFC.

...I do love KFC! Not that I'm worried about catching on fire, but all the kits mention being flame retardant. I imagine good ol fashion burlap is not. Just something to consider.

I second the trip to Hobby Lobby. They even have some pre-dyed burlap. As for the fire retardant, there are several products you can buy to spray on your ghillie.

Regardless I don't think any ghille suit will ever be some what flame retardant. Even though they say that its flame retardant material it still is cotton/nylon/burlap. Unless its made from nomex or Kevlar I wouldn't waste the money on it. Second the hobby lobby Just be careful, don't shoot belt feeds, pop up flares or roman candles in a ghille.

natural veg > burlap

Just net and tie downs is best, maybe a sprinkling of burlap for breaking up the outline. The thick burlap wookie suits are for those that haven't actually had to crawl/run while wearing it in the heat. It can also leave behind fibers, making you easier to track.

+1 on Tactical Concealment. I received a 'Mamba (Legendary)' suit from them and it has served me very well. The stuff they sell is extremely tough and their ICCD Kit has all kinds of useful stuff in it. I sound like a commercial for these guys but I cant say enough how durable and well constructed my suit is.

Micheals for the burlap and netting. They had 3/4in fish net that, according to the package, was actual fish net; so typically nylon that has been 'dyed' in fish scales. Smelled bad but after all the shoe glue and spray paint you really can't smell it any more.

The base uniform and duffle bags from a surplus shop.

Why does everybody talk so much about Jute catching on fire? I made my suit using jute/burlap. I took the sheds and put them in a bag thinking I could use it for fire tender. I was able to light it, but I had to hold a flame on it for a few seconds. If I hit it with my fire stricker a few of the fibers would catch and then just fizzle out in less than a second.

I'm pretty sure a hot shell casing would not do anything. Other than that I am not planning on being near any open flames in my ghillie. Which is why I wonder why people are so worried about jute catching on fire. For the record cotton is also a flammable fabric.

Regardless I don't think any ghille suit will ever be some what flame retardant. Even though they say that its flame retardant material it still is cotton/nylon/burlap. Unless its made from nomex or Kevlar I wouldn't waste the money on it. Second the hobby lobby Just be careful, don't shoot belt feeds, pop up flares or roman candles in a ghille.

Or bows

Why the hell would you want a flame retardant ghille? A Ghille is used when your in a field or brush... which isnt flame retardant. You will also be laying down and crawling VERY slowly. SO unless your skin is flame retardant or you plan on sneaking through a burning forest forget about being flame retardant.

I find it odd all these post for ghillie material.

What not determine what the foliage is in your area and check out Mossy Oak or Real Tree? Want to learn "camo" get with a Turkey Hunter or Bow Hunter.

Turkey's have good eye sight and are flighty. If you can hide well enough to call one in to bad breath distance you're doing something.

Yeah I know, its not tactical, but it works, what's more, that type of clothing doesn't get hung up in the brush like swamp thing ghillie suits.

Kraig, I built my ghillie just to build it (honestly). I wanted to see if I could do it. ALOT OF FUCKING WORK? yes...Worth it? my kids think so when we are camping and they want to play ghillie hide and seek. They found my buddie in his turkey hunting / real tree ghillie thing. They walked right past me. Pictures attached are of my daughter wearing the jacket and hat.

Attachments

• 20131005_135905.jpg
    20131005_135905.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 79
  • 20131005_135916.jpg
    20131005_135916.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Any net that has a good nutral base color, trying to spray paint a net will not work. Dont use those cheap hammoc nets or nets that stretch because when you have alot of veg on your back they will bounce around in a avery unnatural like mannor. use a good stiff net that will break in over time. And dont make it too tight to the suit so it constricts movement. Ancor it down every 3 inches or soo with shoe gue and pray pain the shoe goo and ancor it down at every possible seem.

Turkey's have good eye sight and are flighty. If you can hide well enough to call one in to bad breath distance you're doing something.
Yeah I know, its not tactical, but it works, what's more, that type of clothing doesn't get hung up in the brush like swamp thing ghillie suits.

Turkey eyesight is good, but it's not as good as a trained observer on a stalk lane. The benefit of the ghillie is being able to attach natural vegetation. At the very, very least your camo should consist of 50% natural veg.

I've got stalk lanes comming up in a month, so i am on a current build. Used duffle bags for your canvas, and old used 1x1 or .75x.75 netting will cover you. You also need old sandbags for your jute. Everything else is at hobby lobby.

1st ghillie I built I used netting from an old radar net. The size was right and just tacked it down at each corner with thread. A buddy of mine and I scored some old M16 drop cases for the canvas and some VT-285F OD thread. We used BDU pants and the old school night desert smocks. They took a while and they held up well. His was used for drug interdiction in NORCAL and mine was used for predator hunting. I don't know if I would want to haul one that size around anymore. That was 20 years ago and age and wisdom has forced me to think more about what I stuff in a pack these days.

IDHunt

Tramp...not one thread was used on mine...shoe goo and spray paint...I can't sew for shit either so....

Have never been fond of the store ones...for the price tag associated with them you can make one for alot cheaper that is exactly what you want