• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Never tried F T/R

mtang45

Tangbladicus Maximus
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 14, 2006
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I have never tried F Class but would really like to. I live in western Missouri and am not familier with any clubs/groups that shoot F Class within a few hours drive. Anyone know of a place in eastern KS or western MO, maybe Iowa.

What does a person need to get started in F Class?

Re: Never tried F T/R

Little further and you could get to the Tulsa area for the 600 yard and 1000 yard prone matches. Let me know if you want information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jd138</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Little further and you could get to the Tulsa area for the 600 yard and 1000 yard prone matches. Let me know if you want information. </div></div>

Sure send information. Thanks

I'm sure someone else can comment on where there are some matches in your area. My suggestion is for you to try it out, you'll be hooked. It's a hell of a lot of fun and I've met some pretty good folks at matches.

There two divisions in F-Class: F-T/R, which requires either .308 or .223 caliber, a bipod in front, and a rear bag. F-Open class allows a front rest (table) and pretty much any round you want up to .35 caliber.

To get started, you'll need a rifle that fits one of the above descriptions, a scope, a bipod OR front rest, a rear bag, a shooting mat, and ammunition (factory can work, but handloads are the norm among the better shooters). Barrel lengths can go from around 20" to over 30", in part depending on the shooting distance at a particular match. Generally, the longer barrels give greater muzzle velocity, which means flatter trajectory and less wind deflection.

It is also helpful to have a spotting scope, a timer of some sort, a wind reading device such as a Kestral, a pen/notebook to record data, and any other small items you might be accustomed to having at the range. None of these items are absolutely essential, but can be useful during a match.

As far as rifle scopes, you will find a wide range of individual preferences. Generally, a minimum of a 10X-15X scope is preferable for anything past 500 yd or so. However, magnification can be as high as in the 40X range (I use Nightforce 8-32X and 12-42X scopes). All sorts of reticles can be used, but you generally want one that is not so thick that it obscures the target X-ring. Just as with a precision rifle, you can spend some serious coin on high end scopes, but it is not essential. A guy I used to shoot with did very well with an inexpensive Redfield 12X scope.

One of the attractive things about F-Class competitions is that many shooters already have the minimum necessary equipment to participate (rifle, scope, ammo, bipod, shooting mat, rear bag). Even if they might not be able to shoot at the absolute highest level with inexpensive/minimal equipment, it doesn't really matter. The key point is to get involved and have fun, and the minimal equipment requirements for F-Class allow a lot of shooters to participate. Equipment can always be upgraded over time as more competition experience dictates.

Anyhow, you should seriously think about giving it a try, you'll enjoy it a lot. Below is a link to the current NRA High Power rules. Section 22 has a lot more info on F-Class. Good luck!

www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf

gstaylorg, thanks for the information and encouragement. I have all that you listed except for a shooting mat. I've got a real itch to participate, so I need to find somewhere relatively close.

Here is some reading for you, you didn't specify if you were going for F Open Or F T/R. Check out these:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek031/
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/gunweek063/

Know-before-you-go never hurts, but you've got to get yourself to a match to really get the feel for what it takes, and see what people are REALLY using.

Good advise from gstaylorg, and be aware that the F Class rules are a subset of High Power rules, so all of the Highpower rules apply as well as the F Class rules.

Paul

Be careful. Once you get into it, you will be hooked. I have been using a mod gear light weight roll up mat. I checked and it appears that cheaper than dirt no longer carries this particular one. The best thing to do is attend a match and see what the other guys are using. They could share a little insight on what you need to have in a mat and what is nice to have in a mat. The best part about shooting distance is that everyone can have the edge because it comes down to your ability to judge wind.

mtang45 - you have a pm with the Tulsa match info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jd138</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mtang45 - you have a pm with the Tulsa match info. </div></div>

jd, thanks for the info. I also found another club about an hour east of Springfield that holds regular F-Class matches. However in Googling the driving distance, Tulsa is actually about 30 minutes closer.

Looking at your club schedule, March and April are pretty much out because of other commitment conflicts, but the May 12 match looks pretty attractive.

Thanks for all the advice folks. I think I'll make the trip and set myself up to be hooked
    smile.gif

mtang45,
    From looking at the map, you're not all that far from Omaha, my old stomping ground. Eastern Nebraska Gun Club puts on some very good Midrange NRA-sponsored matches (3 x 20 shots, 600 yd). It's about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hr drive, depending on where in KC you live. This year, F-Class will have their own separate matches for the first time, rather than as a part of a larger match with several different classifications. The first match will be 5/26; one need not be a member of ENGC to participate in the matches. I will most likely fly back to Omaha to attend the first match. There is a link to their website below. Click on the "Match Schedule" link to get a pdf file of the upcoming events if you're interested.

I also seem to recall seeing someone post some F-Class matches in Iowa and S. Illinois a while back. One way I have found a number of local matches is to Google "gun clubs" or "shooting ranges" in a particular state, which will often have links to F-Class shooting events. You might find something even closer to KC.

http://www.engc.us/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mtang45,
    From looking at the map, you're not all that far from Omaha, my old stomping ground. Eastern Nebraska Gun Club puts on some very good Midrange NRA-sponsored matches (3 x 20 shots, 600 yd). It's about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hr drive, depending on where in KC you live. This year, F-Class will have their own separate matches for the first time, rather than as a part of a larger match with several different classifications. The first match will be 5/26; one need not be a member of ENGC to participate in the matches. I will most likely fly back to Omaha to attend the first match. There is a link to their website below. Click on the "Match Schedule" link to get a pdf file of the upcoming events if you're interested.

I also seem to recall seeing someone post some F-Class matches in Iowa and S. Illinois a while back. One way I have found a number of local matches is to Google "gun clubs" or "shooting ranges" in a particular state, which will often have links to F-Class shooting events. You might find something even closer to KC.

http://www.engc.us/ </div></div>

Thanks much for the heads up on Omaha; it is much closer. I'll see if I can clear some time for May 26th. If you are flying in, perhaps we could meet up. It would be great to obtain match tips from a veteran F-Class participant.

I'm not sure "veteran" would be the description I'd choose (LOL). Compared to some of the folks here that have been shooting comps far, far longer than I have, I'm still a relative newbie. Anyhow, the nice thing about the ENGC range is that wind is usually extremely friendly. It pretty much comes from only one of two or three directions during a match and is generally pretty steady, which would be great for the first time out.

If you look at the ENGC match schedule in the link I posted, you'll find an F-Class clinic that will be held on April 29th. I would suggest contacting the match director Herb McClannan to find out whether this event is restricted to ENGC members only. Herb is a great guy and an outstanding shooter. Although I can't say for sure, if you let him know you'd like to participate in the upcoming F-Class match, he might let you attend. It's worth a call to find out at any rate. Attending the clinic would give you a leg up on several levels. First, you'd know how to get to the range and also have a chance to become familiar with the layout of the range itself. Second, you'd be able to generate some good dope with your setup that would be extremely useful as a solid starting point for the match the following month.

In any event, I'd be happy to help you out in any way I can. Although the match is still a ways off, my current plan is to attend if at all possible. I'll probably try to fly in a couple days early, as I have many friends in the Omaha area. PM me and I'll give you my contact info, and we should be able to work something out.

Midway has a very good shooting mat on sale for 59.95. I really like mine, I finally bought this after using an self inflating camping map.This new one is much better.

Big Piney Sportsmans Club in Houston Missouri has a 600 yard F class scheduled for 16 June. About 3-4 hours from KC, but it is a real laid back place. Come on down and enjoy yourself. This would be a great place to learn what these comps are about.

Bring what rifle you got, even if you have no dope for that range, we will help you figure out hold overs and equipment.

Sean