• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New 100 & 200yd rimfire target?

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
was thinking of a different target or maybe an additional one for the rimfire comps and came up with this. should also range correctly with mildots

was even thinking about submitting it for your approval for 100yd, but would have to change the point values for 100 as the highest point value (7) is rather large for 100 yards.

i'll give it a try tomorrow if the wind is manageable.

opinions?

lucky7orig-V5.jpg

Re: New 200yd rimfire target?

just came back from the range, outline looks sharp at 200yards.

the scoring lines in the current configuration can be see too, kinda torn between making them darker / thicker / easier to see,

or

lighten them up so they CAN'T be seen and a score is realized once the target is approached. i think this will also help with spotting hits

soooo to see or not to see the scoring lines?

edited / added below the next version, lighter lines and added eyes

lucky7200ydfaintJPEG.jpg

100 YD (smaller X ring, different point values closer in)

lucky7100ydfaintJPEG.jpg

That looks sick man! I'll have to try that out next time I get out to shoot for sure. I wish more people shot the competitions on here, even though it isn't for prizes or anything it would still be fun to have more competitors! The more people we get the more cool ideas like this we could come up with also.

The lighter lines look much better.

I would also make the eyes stand out a little bit more. That way you have something else to judge where to put your shots.

"No Seeums" until the damage is done would be my vote. Real world situations need real world scoring... just my $0.02 worth.

DK

Re: New 100 & 200yd rimfire target?

ok, i got several versions made up both for 100 and 200 yards.

each have varying darkness of the eyes, i hope to get a feel for it at both 100 and 200 yards. i'll set the scope at 10 power. i don't want to make them too dark, as it'll be easier to spot hits at both ranges if a hit happens to land in the ink in the eyes, but the eyes light enough for a point of reference.

was also thinking this may make a nice pistol or short range AR22 - 10/22 - etc. semi auto open sight / red sot CQB type target / competition in the short range comps.

for the 100 and 200 yard, maybe just 10 rounds COF. maybe even change the COF of the already established comps to a 10 round count. so for a box of ammo, 4 targets could be utilized and still have 10 remaining for sighters / foulers. but that's up to you guys.

maybe for the Semi auto cqb style rifles 25 yards or less:

facing the target, head down, look up, rapid fire double tap (2 rounds)
back facing the target, head down, turn strong side, look up, rapid fire double tap (2 rounds)
back facing the target, head down, turn support side, look up, rapid fire double tap (2 rounds)
facing the target, cover down (at the ready), threat, rapid fire double tap (2 rounds)
facing target, cover down (at the ready), slow fire 2 precision aimed rounds.

total of 10 rounds.

I like it, but maybe darken the X and X ring? the reason i am saying this is that i have a hard time to see the X ring( therefore center it) on a NRA TQ4 target at 100 yards, wish it was darker. Thanks for the good work and happy holidays to all.

OK, what i believe to be the final versions. had the pleasure of some range time today, i posted the 100 and 200 yard versions (with various eye shadings / darkness) at their respective distances.

setting the scope at 10x at both ranges, if a round hits the eyes and eyebrows, it's tough to actually spot the hit on every version except for the lightest shaded one. yet there is enough shading in the eyes that you can see them and use as a reference point. if you have a more powerful scope, the eyes look even darker, while the numbers and scoring lines are not of a distraction or can be mistaken for a hit.

to put a dark bullseye or X in the sweet spot takes away from some thinking that has to be done, then reducing the whole thing back to a "static-hit-the-mark" target.

the difference of scoring rings point value and center X is to compensate somewhat for the distances shot. in other words,it should be "easier" to hit the 100 yard one in the sweet spot compared to 200 yards, so the area 7 points and the X covers are smaller.

why are the point values higher from the sweet spot down to the chin?.....brain stem, vertabrae, spinal column travels that route, i figured it's more of a valued hit than glancing off the side of the skull
wink.gif
(like the top 3 & 4 ring on the 100 yd or top 5 & 3 ring on 200yd) point values also differ above the eyeline (center line from the ears to the outside of the eyes) as compared to below the eyeline as there is more grey matter above than below. (grey matter worth more than cheekbone).

as an added bonus, the size of the head ranges well using mildots

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">L7 100YD</span></span>

lucky7100ydfaintFORSITE12-2011.jpg

what it looks like at 100 yds (sorry, crummy camera, but i tried)

lucky7100yds.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">L7 200YD</span></span>

lucky7200ydFORSITE12-2011.jpg

what it looks like at 200 yds (sorry, crummy camera, but i tried)

lucky7200yds.jpg

the pictures on both don't do the target justice, the eyes are more easily picked out.

i'm thinking the round count should be 10, anything more seemingly becomes "routine".

i'll edit the rules thread to include the Lucky 7 once the rules are approved by you guys, and the targets included in the printable target link.

i'm thinking the same reporting format as the others:

match name
100Y<span style="font-weight: bold">P</span>-L7 (P for prone) or B (bench)
200Y<span style="font-weight: bold">P</span>-L7 (P for prone) or B (bench)

NAME: John Q. Shooter
Class: (S)
RIFLE: any rimfire rifle
CALIBER: any rimfire caliber
AMMO: whatever you are using
MATCH: 100YP-L7
SCORE: 70 - 10X

same rules as the other long range rules, front support allowed, no rear support, etc.

those that shoot the rimfire comps here, do you think the already established should be reduce to 10 also? this will give a person the usual 100 yd target, the lucky 7 100yd target, the usual 200 yd target and lucky 7 200 yd target able to be shot for 40 rounds + 10 sighters = only 1 box of ammo. to make it "simpler" i'll post a poll in the longrange learnings section for replies / votes.

"why are the point values higher from the sweet spot down to the chin?.....brain stem, vertabrae, spinal column travels that route, i figured it's more of a valued hit than glancing off the side of the skull wink (like the top 3 & 4 ring on the 100 yd or top 5 & 3 ring on 200yd) point values also differ above the eyeline (center line from the ears to the outside of the eyes) as compared to below the eyeline as there is more grey matter above than below. (grey matter worth more than cheekbone)."
I see your point there, but, should the top part of the 7 ring be enlarged? encompass top circle of the 6 and 5 ring? because a round in that part of forehead is equally deadly, maybe then push the top part of the 5 ring further up, into where the top part of the 4the ring? cancel the top part of the 3 ring. just a thought.

i was thinking the same thing, on the 100 yard, the 6 and 5 ring is actually a little bit oval, and on the 200 the outer 7 and 6 ring has that oval shape too.

i figured for scoring purposes an exra scoring ring or two rather than a few wide ovals could make it a more interesting race between several different shooters of the same skill level, while the faded lines keep them on their toes - viewing the target through a "normal range magnification" optic they will not know 100% until up close if they should have dialed another click or two.

i was looking at it on 20x at 100yards, it's tough to see the lines enough to know 100% even at that magnification if you should adjust or stay the course.

I like these RF comps a lot. I'll shoot it, it looks fun.